Online Series: The Boys (season 2)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Can a show be enhanced by the unpredictability/shock value without relying on it to be good/relevant ? I mean, a show that had a lot of shock value was Breaking Bad and it was a really good show. And I personally wouldn't have wanted any of the shock value scenes to be spoiled ahead of time.

I always wish I could read a good book for the first time again, or watch a movie I loved for the first time again. A lot of people would like to relive a first time experience they particularly enjoyed. But I do prefer to know about it if it's going to be bad. Usually you can tell beforehand though. And that's when I look for spoilers since I know I'm not going to be missing out on a special experience.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that there is no positive effect, and I get the draw on a superficial level (it's like an addictive andrenaline shot), but its actual appreciated value is marginal at best for me. Shows like Breaking Bad are exactly what I had in mind when I said that (I think it's cheapened by a lot of that stuff, not improved by it, personally). Most shows I love only get enhanced by repeat viewings, and I've never related to or had any desire for this whole "see things again for the first time" idea.

I don't go out looking for spoilers the way Eisen said he did (unless maybe I'm disinterested but curious because of the hype), but if I'm spoiled on something I end up really loving, I don't see it as a big loss, personally.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Best episode of the season so far. Loved the character building they did with Frenchie and the Lamplighter backstory.

Homelander being lovestruck impatient/paranoid was hysterical.

Was nice to see Butcher and Starlight develop their relationship too. Thought it was great character building for both of them.

Think I'm gonna rewatch this one today. Enjoyed it that much.

Reactions: YNWA14

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Also I'm pretty amused they brought in Love Sausage from the comics. The little of the comics I read, I thought the character was failed edgy and immature garbage so I'm glad they're not gonna use him in the actual cast.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
This episode was great, but last weeks was probably my favorite of the season so far. I'm kind of bummed that there's only two episodes to go.

Also, I've really been enjoying the aftershow they have. The opener had a hilarious discussion about the Deep and his pals the dolphins.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I never get sick of the talking to fish jokes. His love of sea life is Deep's only endearing quality.

Honestly, he's seemed pretty pointless all season, but does provide some great comedic relief.

I wonder if that's the whole point, or if there's actually a payoff to all this.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Honestly, he's seemed pretty pointless all season, but does provide some great comedic relief.

I wonder if that's the whole point, or if there's actually a payoff to all this.

I feel like there's gotta be. That head of the church obviously knows a lot of insider info.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I feel like there's gotta be. That head of the church obviously knows a lot of insider info.

It's interesting seeing how we're starting to ramp up soups for a bunch of different factions.

You've got Kimiko, Starlight, and now apparently Lamplighter for The Boys. Homelander, Stormfront, and Black Noir. Deep, A-Train, and the Hawkeye parody (I can't remember his name) almost seem like a nuisance B-Team that's going to get obliterated to make Homelander/Stormfront look stronger.

Unless they swerve us, Maeve seems like she'll inevitably end up with The Boys.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's interesting seeing how we're starting to ramp up soups for a bunch of different factions.

You've got Kimiko, Starlight, and now apparently Lamplighter for The Boys. Homelander, Stormfront, and Black Noir. Deep, A-Train, and the Hawkeye parody (I can't remember his name) almost seem like a nuisance B-Team that's going to get obliterated to make Homelander/Stormfront look stronger.

Unless they swerve us, Maeve seems like she'll inevitably end up with The Boys.

I don't know whether to spoiler tag this but a key distinction between the comics and the show is that

The Boys used Compound V to fight Supes, including Butcher. I don't know if this will actually happen on the show ever or if they'll just build a team of defectors, but

I think the most important plot development going forward is that Vought has been discovered trying to stabilize compound V to effectively grant superpowers in any adult. Whether it ever ends up having bearing on what I put in the spoiler tags or not, I don't know, but I think it's gotta be what's gonna drive the plot into future seasons.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well that ending was insane.

I didn't know anything about this show 2 weeks ago. Saw ads for it on Amazon, tossed on the first episode last weekend just to check it out.... Binged all 14 episodes to that point over like 3 days to catch up to the weekly episodes and well that did not disappoint at all.

Finale next week is going to be wild.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Does anyone else feel like this season has been rushed?

I personally think having 2 more episodes would have allowed them to flesh out some of these storylines more.

Reactions: Hypernova

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Five minutes in: Oh God, please tell me we're deliberately portraying the AOC look-alike as the hero and Stormfront is another conservative villain.

That's such an Amazon Studios thing to do. :laugh:

Reactions: Kurtz and tacogeoff

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Well, that ending was uh... Mind-blowing.

source.gif

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Five minutes in: Oh God, please tell me we're deliberately portraying the AOC look-alike as the hero and Stormfront is another conservative villain.

That's such an Amazon Studios thing to do. :laugh:
I would venture to say the description of Stormfront wouldn't be "another conservative villain" rather quite literally a nazi lol

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Just finished the finale. Thought the season was great, It's probably my favourite active show. I really hope The Deep redemption arc continues next season and he becomes the head of the church. I won't discuss to much else, don't want to spoil anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad