Online Series: The Boys (season 2)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Really liked the first season and have high hopes for season 2. I think it is my favorite Amazon series so far.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Sorry for the necrobump. Took my sweet ass time to get into this but I decided to fire an episode up early yesterday afternoon and ended up binging the whole first season in one go.

It's a weird thing for me to feel like this has become a personal "guilty pleasure" because so many elements are well executed. The acting, pacing, production, and action are all executed at a damn high level and I quickly came to love most of this cast of characters. I just have minor squibbles that nag at me in saying it's one of the better shows or seasons around.

Certain plot decisions had a forced element that made certain events feel incredibly predictable (Deus Ex Starlight post telling Hughie to f*** off, Kimiko saving Frenchie, Becca and her child being alive (though the way it unfolded was well done and has very interesting implications going forward...I actually love the idea that Homelander will keep Butcher alive to torment him for taking a swing at him), even Starlight getting pissed at Hughie at the Faithfest thing was something I saw coming from 100 miles away). However I feel like there were enough plot developments that kept me engaged and surprised that it sort of balanced out.

Another thing that ate at me was the dialogue at times was so bad that had it not been for great actors delivering the lines well, it would have been too cringey to bear (Butcher in particular has some stinkers that so very closely step too far in over the top edginess that it's only saved by Urban managing to barely make it work).

Finally, I know it's a superhero show but there are times where the Boys seem to pull expensive resources and clearances right out of their ass to a point that it got a little distracting. I'm not above suspending disbelief in a narrative setting like this but I found myself asking "Okay but how did they do that/get that" far too often. I know The Boys HAD funding and were in the process of getting more but the plan failed and yet they always seemed equipped for their given situations.

Taken together there's far more good going on than bad and I haven't jumped into a show that so effectively hooked me to do a start to finish season binge since I watched Bodyguard last summer. It's just those issues I stated above sort of make this feel a bit "guilty pleasure" for me but it's one hell of a pleasure. I may give it another watch through in the near future.

EDIT: another minor quibble just from what I read about the comics which I may also dive into

Apparently in the comics V is far more widely available and The Boys actually use it to be able to fights Supes but the closest the first season came to doing that was Frenchie saying he wanted to try it himself. In the comics not only do the Boys use it but Butcher injected Hughie with it against his will. Seems like something the show's version would be completely opposed to so we might not see it. But with the rise of the V infused terrorists and Homelander in full villain mode, maybe he might change his tune. Also that said, very interested to see what happens with Starlight after saving A-Train's life

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There's another teaser on youtube with actual footage from the season but I don't know if I can post it given there's a pretty brutal kill in one of the frames. Just search The Boys season 2 and click the thumbnail with a bloody Homelander. No real spoilers in there.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
After watching the end of season 1, I ask myself what would piss me off more. Having a girlfriend die on me or finding out she left because someone else knocked her up

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
They did show the first 3 minutes of season 2. I won’t post it here because it’s very violent.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad