Online Series: The Boys (season 2)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Best show out right now imo.

Starr is incredible, Homelander is a riveting character and his performance is phenomenal. Karl Urban as Butcher is great too.

Episodes 1/2 were a bit slow but it's picking up now. Stormfront/Homelander dynamic is going to be interesting.

Especially her now being sort of "outed" as an old Super called Liberty and that like Wolverine in Marvel, it looks like she ages very slowly. She would have way more experience that Homelander.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Antony Starr just nails it as Homelander for me. What an absolute monster. Although after episode three, it looks like he may have some competition...

I think he carries the show to a large degree. He just has such an unsettling presence.

Correct. Him v Karl Urban is the show, and everyone else is just white noise. It's surprising really how completely unmemorable and uninteresting every other character is. Aya Cash's presence is certainly a welcome addition. Erin Moriarty is okay. I fast-forward through all the Deep's "road to redemption" scenes. Jack Quaid is a complete zero of an actor.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Anyone that loves Antony Starr’s work as Homelander, please do yourself a favour and watch “Banshee”. I really love The Boys, but Banshee was an even better show.

I feel like an idiot. I watched Banshee and just now realized that was him.:o

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Correct. Him v Karl Urban is the show, and everyone else is just white noise. It's surprising really how completely unmemorable and uninteresting every other character is. Aya Cash's presence is certainly a welcome addition. Erin Moriarty is okay. I fast-forward through all the Deep's "road to redemption" scenes. Jack Quaid is a complete zero of an actor.

Those two are really strong actors, it's unusual to get two actors coming out of New Zealand with this sort of ability at a similar time

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The show is pulling its inspiration from current day politics non-stop and kind of laughing at a lot of the extremes both ways. In ep #5 where homelander lands next to a young congress woman and says : ¨Congresswoman neuman everybody, didn't you love that little move like an egyptian dance she did online?¨ The parallels with Alexandria Octavio-Cortez were pretty blatant. Then you see Liberty/Stormfront uses her online army to turn around public opinion via social media with memes. I think this was my favourite episode so far.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The show is pulling its inspiration from current day politics non-stop and kind of laughing at a lot of the extremes both ways. In ep #5 where homelander lands next to a young congress woman and says : ¨Congresswoman neuman everybody, didn't you love that little move like an egyptian dance she did online?¨ The parallels with Alexandria Octavio-Cortez were pretty blatant. Then you see Liberty/Stormfront uses her online army to turn around public opinion via social media with memes. I think this was my favourite episode so far.

The shots at Justice League though. "Joss rewrite" :laugh: Plus a nod to the female avengers scene in Endgame.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Season has been pretty good so far, but I do have one complaint. It seems as if every single one of their problems has fixed with one character blackmailing another and this speaks to lazy writing IMO.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I quite enjoy Frenchie and his entire storyline.

Reactions: Sombastate

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Better question. Why are you making a big deal out of somebody having the courtesy to put something in a spoiler tag?

Because it's been already established here (and not by me, but TO me), that if you go into movie/tv series thread that you haven't seen, then you shouldn't go into that thread. I expect consistency.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Because it's been already established here (and not by me, but TO me), that if you go into movie/tv series thread that you haven't seen, then you shouldn't go into that thread. I expect consistency.

You should probably drop that expectation and start expecting that I'm gonna use a spoiler tag if I want to use a spoiler tag. :thumbu:

Reactions: TheAngryHank

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
So, is there any possibility that Liberty was also Lamplighter?

A different actor was announced as being cast as Lamplighter. He's made a brief appearance but wasn't named.

the-boys-lamplighter.png

The Boys Season 2 Casts X-Men’s Shawn Ashmore As Ex-Seven Member Lamplighter

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Why would anyone drop into this thread if they haven't watched episodes yet? That's just asking for trouble and on them.
I actively look for "spoilers" to know what to expect before I watch. I want to know if I'd like it before I invest time.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I actively look for "spoilers" to know what to expect before I watch. I want to know if I'd like it before I invest time.

Eesh. I look back on some of the shows I've watched and I'd be upset if I had major moments spoiled.

I remember one in particular that only had 3 main characters... One ended up dying and the next day on Yahoo's main page they had an article about, "Shocking TV death", with her picture right on the headline. I was f***ing pissed.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A lot of people give this mentality flack, but I respect it, personally. If a show relies on shock value/unpredictability to the point that it would be ruined if you know spoilers, it probably isn't worth watching to begin with. To be honest, the novelty that spoiler-etiquette tries so hard to protect seems pretty hollow and unimportant from my perspective, even though I go along with it anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
A lot of people give this mentality flack, but I respect it, personally. If a show relies on shock value/unpredictability to the point that it would be ruined if you know spoilers, it probably isn't worth watching to begin with. To be honest, the novelty that spoiler-etiquette tries so hard to protect seems pretty hollow and unimportant from my perspective, even though I go along with it anyways.

Can a show be enhanced by the unpredictability/shock value without relying on it to be good/relevant ? I mean, a show that had a lot of shock value was Breaking Bad and it was a really good show. And I personally wouldn't have wanted any of the shock value scenes to be spoiled ahead of time.

I always wish I could read a good book for the first time again, or watch a movie I loved for the first time again. A lot of people would like to relive a first time experience they particularly enjoyed. But I do prefer to know about it if it's going to be bad. Usually you can tell beforehand though. And that's when I look for spoilers since I know I'm not going to be missing out on a special experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad