Post-Game Talk: The Bigger They Are, The Harder We Suck. Devils lose 3-2 to Sens

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Bishop is a pretty athletic goalie. A lot of people would argue that Marty pioneered the big pads movement (though I wouldnt agree).

Its disappointing to see you guys downplaying Bishops skill on here, but I will chalk it up to a frustrating loss.

I thought the Sens dominated the first to a degree that wasnt shown on the shot clock or the scoreboard, but the Devils definitely had them in the latter 2 periods. Shame a game like that is settled by the shootout.

Marty was one of, if not THE last old generation goalies to switch to a larger set of pads. Go look at his pads from '95 and '03 compared to now. Very small by comparison to the butterfly goalies of today. Marty did not start the trend by any means.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Didn't watch the third period because I had a game, but I'll take the point. Since we lost to Rangers we have 5 out of six points. It's not bad.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Marty was one of, if not THE last old generation goalies to switch to a larger set of pads. Go look at his pads from '95 and '03 compared to now. Very small by comparison to the butterfly goalies of today. Marty did not start the trend by any means.

He definitely didn't start the big pad movement, that's absurd.

He may have had above average pads when he came into the league in 93-94 because he was tall for a goalie at the time, and most of the goalies were still wearing that old 80's crap. Between lockouts though most of the small guys switched to massive pads that dwarfed anything he was wearing, and that trend definitely continued until he got new pads 2(?) seasons ago, and he still wears some of the smallest equipment.

DevilChuk*

He definitely didn't start the big pad movement, that's absurd.

Heck.. he wrote a book that was basically nothing but a tantrum against the trend towards big pads.

Only recently has he increased the size of his pads.. and he probably could go a few inches bigger if he wanted. I remember reading an article that when the NHL cracked down the regulations on goalie pads a few years ago, he was one of two goalies that did not need to change their equipment.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Heck.. he wrote a book that was basically nothing but a tantrum against the trend towards big pads.

Only recently has he increased the size of his pads.. and he probably could go a few inches bigger if he wanted. I remember reading an article that when the NHL cracked down the regulations on goalie pads a few years ago, he was one of two goalies that did not need to change their equipment.

Who was the other guy that didn't need to change? I do remember Marty not needing to change though. I remember a few times guys on other teams (Especially western conference teams we didn't play much) Would say how they loved playing Brodeur because it was nice to face a net that had so much room. It might have sounded like they were trashing him and saying it would be easy, but they weren't. I remember some of them going on to say how nice of a change of pace it was and how they couldn't believe how athletic he was with that tiny equipment.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Who was the other guy that didn't need to change? I do remember Marty not needing to change though. I remember a few times guys on other teams (Especially western conference teams we didn't play much) Would say how they loved playing Brodeur because it was nice to face a net that had so much room. It might have sounded like they were trashing him and saying it would be easy, but they weren't. I remember some of them going on to say how nice of a change of pace it was and how they couldn't believe how athletic he was with that tiny equipment.

Was probably Hedberg.:laugh:

DevilChuk*

Don't remember.

Marty also always used to talk about how he liked using small pads because it would help his rebound control. He'd know where the puck hit him so he could know where to react next, etc. As a former goalie myself, I don't understand how people who used larger pads were still able to feel the puck.. it really is helpful when you know where the puck struck you so you could anticipate rebounds.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Don't remember.

Marty also always used to talk about how he liked using small pads because it would help his rebound control. He'd know where the puck hit him so he could know where to react next, etc. As a former goalie myself, I don't understand how people who used larger pads were still able to feel the puck.. it really is helpful when you know where the puck struck you so you could anticipate rebounds.

Most goalies now don't really know where the puck is a lot of the time, they are just so big they drop into the butterfly and take up as much room as possible. There are exception of course, but that seems to be the dominant strategy these days, a big goalie with the butterfly style.

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
Just to boost the mood, here's Pete at his best:

7347033942_a5216af12d_o_original.gif

apice3*

We went 0/3 using wrist shots against Bishop last time.

So our first two shooters decide, rather than deke the biggest goalie in the league, to shoot at a ****ing blimp covering the net. And go 0/2.

Finally, someone with a brain decides to deke instead, and what do you know? We scored a ****ing shootout goal against him.

0/5 using wrist shots, 1/1 on dekes. So I think it was a very smart idea for Loktionov to shoot a wrister. Why make a gigantic goalie move side to side when you can shoot it right into his glove?

I feel like something like this takes 30 seconds of looking at film and a little hockey sense. How do our players not realize that in order to beat Bishop in the shootout you need to deke him out? He beat the Rangers in a shootout the same way. 7 rounds. 6 guys took wristers and were stopped. Callahan was the only one who deked, and he scored.

Only reason why I'm mad about the loss.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hopefully Bishop is gone from there come the deadline. I want no part of him for the rest of the year. Hopefully he goes out west. There have been rumors he'll be traded because he's an upcoming UFA, and the Sens are good with Anderson and Lehner right now.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
We went 0/3 using wrist shots against Bishop last time.

So our first two shooters decide, rather than deke the biggest goalie in the league, to shoot at a ****ing blimp covering the net. And go 0/2.

Finally, someone with a brain decides to deke instead, and what do you know? We scored a ****ing shootout goal against him.

0/5 using wrist shots, 1/1 on dekes. So I think it was a very smart idea for Loktionov to shoot a wrister. Why make a gigantic goalie move side to side when you can shoot it right into his glove?

I feel like something like this takes 30 seconds of looking at film and a little hockey sense. How do our players not realize that in order to beat Bishop in the shootout you need to deke him out? He beat the Rangers in a shootout the same way. 7 rounds. 6 guys took wristers and were stopped. Callahan was the only one who deked, and he scored.

Only reason why I'm mad about the loss.

Agreed with this 100%. I was yelling at my tv explaining you gotta get the big guy moving.

These big goalies are great on the first shot because they literally give the shooter nothing to shoot at, no surprise that our goals came off of plays where he was scrambling. The bigger the dude, the harder it is to move. Unless your Pekke Rinne, that guys a freak.

I don't blame Patty for going five hole, that's the only place you go if you choose to shoot, it's a big ol' whole. Could not understand where Henrique was shooting, that was a very dumb decision.

TnT25

Mar 24, 2013
Milan
In my opinion this is a good point gained.
Never been easy to play on the road against Ottawa. I wonder why we always start slow in the first period then trail for all game long!

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Greene's shot is so inaccurate, that's not even funny.
Elias had a bad game.
Zids' goal was a beauty, unassisted like he did it all by myself.

And it's maybe time to give Bishop credit, even just a bit. It's not only us but the entire EC that is having trouble to score on him. He's having a great season.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Bishop is a pretty athletic goalie. A lot of people would argue that Marty pioneered the big pads movement (though I wouldnt agree).

Its disappointing to see you guys downplaying Bishops skill on here, but I will chalk it up to a frustrating loss.

I thought the Sens dominated the first to a degree that wasnt shown on the shot clock or the scoreboard, but the Devils definitely had them in the latter 2 periods. Shame a game like that is settled by the shootout.

Thanks for being cool, most opposing fans would come in here and tell us we're being babies. :laugh: The reason we're frustrated is because the Devils seem to routinely have a difficult time scoring goals against bigger goalies and goalies with larger equipment. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good the goalie actually is, because of our prior experiences with actual pad monsters who we should be beating... we're going to get frustrated and pissed off.

Henrique missing that last second chance in OT... OUCH. If he scores there we don't even have this discussion. Next time he gets a chance like that he'll bury it, he won't let a sucky bounce beat him twice.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ

To Silvers credit, he did say he didn't agree. ;)

However it really is stupid that some people think Marty (MARTY. Really?) pioneered the big pads trend. People actually believe this?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Im not going to blame Bishops pads on the loss. He's a big goalie for sure but that doesnt change the fact that Elias and Henrique did nothing in the shootout. We just had a shootout against Bishop last month and it was the same thing. He's obviously huge so make him move, we skate in on a guy who takes up the whole net and we just shoot? No deke? Why do you think Zajacs worked? Make the giant in net actually move.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
How'd Lokti do last night? Saw lots of good comments of his play on twitter. Did he really center two lines after Gionta was injured? Like that he continues scoring, weird that he doesn't have more assists though considering his amazing playmaking ability/vision.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Greene's shot is so inaccurate, that's not even funny.
Elias had a bad game.
Zids' goal was a beauty, unassisted like he did it all by myself.

And it's maybe time to give Bishop credit, even just a bit. It's not only us but the entire EC that is having trouble to score on him. He's having a great season.

Great season? He's 5-4 in non-Devils games with a 2.83 GAA and a .916 save percentage, and the third best goalie on Ottawa. His GAA's gone down 3/10 of a point because of our two games :laugh:

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
Now do people believe me when I say this team struggles against huge goalies with huge equipment? Trade one of the d men for a practice squad goalie the size of Bishop, and keep blasting away. This game, and the shootout I think firmly proves that point. Just look at the shootout attempts and Jeremy Brodeur's tweet.

Nope, we can't score more than two goals on any goalie right now so I don't think that your point is valid

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Great season? He's 5-4 in non-Devils games with a 2.83 GAA and a .916 save percentage, and the third best goalie on Ottawa. His GAA's gone down 3/10 of a point because of our two games :laugh:

What is that post seriously ? GAA means absolutely nothing in terms of goaltending, you should've known that firstly, and it's pretty obvious why. And besides nitpicking stats, since when .916 is a laughable percentage ?

My turn to nitpick: Among goalies who have faced a minimum of 300 shots, Bishop has the 4th best SV% in the NHL, behind Anderson, Rask and Bobrovsky.

:shakehead

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the first 10 minutes was an absolute ****show. thye came to play after that, but couldn’t beat bishop. ah well.

Kovy come back, come back from your in-ju-ryyy
This offense, simply can’t produuuce without youuu
Kovy come back, we miss you and we’re sorryyyy
Fix your shoulder, we just cant liiive without youuu

xo30wn.jpg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What is that post seriously ? GAA means absolutely nothing in terms of goaltending, you should've known that firstly, and it's pretty obvious why. And besides nitpicking stats, since when .916 is a laughable percentage ?

My turn to nitpick: Among goalies who have faced a minimum of 300 shots, Bishop has the 4th best SV% in the NHL, behind Anderson, Rask and Bobrovsky.

:shakehead

Never said .916 was laughable, it's just decent/good - not 'great'. And his overall numbers don't compare to their other two goalies (Anderson 1.49, .952, Lehner 2.05, .940 - and he's about seventeen shots shy of 300 so his numbers'll be better too after his next start).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad