Post-Game Talk: The Bigger They Are, The Harder We Suck. Devils lose 3-2 to Sens

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

We got a point in a game we should've lost after the first 20 minutes. Thank the lord the Sens hit a whopping 3 or 4 posts in the 1st period and missed one or two very solid scoring chances.

We played a great game if we take away the first period but the way I see it, we were more then lucky to get out of there with a point.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
To Silvers credit, he did say he didn't agree. ;)

However it really is stupid that some people think Marty (MARTY. Really?) pioneered the big pads trend. People actually believe this?

I know and good on him, but I assume some of his closest friends were the ones saying it so I wanted to give him some info on the topic to educate them if they aren't already lurking and getting ready to choke on the complaining about Bishop and throw Marty back at us. That's all.

From whence he came; 1993-94

Martin-Brodeur.jpg

356694_display_image.jpg

Yes, he followed the trend over the years but no way he started it. Look at how much of the pants you can see with him standing up.

Last edited:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Also, New Jersey's shootout performance this season is the inevitable regression that was awaiting from last season. Nothing we can really do about it. New Jersey is an above average shootout team, but not one that will consistently win 75% of its shootouts.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Lokti was one of our best forwards last night. Credit to the kid.

And saying Marty pioneered big pads might be the most inaccurate thing I've read in a long time around here and that says something.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

So we lost Salvador and Gionta? I guess we'll see Tallinder/Fayne and probably call up Josefson?

We are going down like flies.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I actually expected a bigger ****-storm the first game sans IK. So I guess a loser point is better than nothing. It did get annoying how seemingly every OTT rush was an odd-man (or at least FELT like an odd-man).

I'm kinda a "meh" if Salvador is hurt. Sucks for Gionta since now yet another scrub comes up (please don't be Janssen!).

I was pleasantly surprised that Sestito wasn't incredibly awful. Him and Kosto actually had a couple chances.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
I know and good on him, but I assume some of his closest friends were the ones saying it so I wanted to give him some info on the topic to educate them if they aren't already lurking and getting ready to choke on the complaining about Bishop and throw Marty back at us. That's all.

From whence he came; 1993-94

Martin-Brodeur.jpg

356694_display_image.jpg

Yes, he followed the trend over the years but no way he started it. Look at how much of the pants you can see with him standing up.

Ahh I see, fair enough.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Towards the end of the game the camera panned the Devils bench right to left and by chance all the players sitting together were the AHL call ups and newbies, about five in a row, all I could do it chuckle how little luck this team has had this year and this exemplified it.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
It's not really good for Fayne to be scratched so often and it seems like the Devils are absolutely refusing to move one of our defensemen (though now it seems like a decent move to hold a couple of them in reserve for situations like this, when a d-man gets hurt) but in a way, having 8 d with the NHL club can only benefit the guys playing in the minors. Not interrupting a full season of heavy minutes and experience for our best prospects is a good, safe route to follow, even if some of them are NHL ready already. Better for a prospect to be overripe when brought up than under ripe and have his development/confidence stunted.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
In reality Ben Bishop is a goaltender who gives up 2.62 goals per game. He isn't a world beater, in fact in the 4 starts he's made this month he's averaged 3.25 GAA. We don't know how to beat these guys with the huge equipment.

Our goalies do not wear huge equipment. That's all they have to shoot on in practice. I think this is a legit problem.

It's simple really. Don't just shoot directly at the goalie, shocking I know. Don't miss the net either :laugh: Alot of the goalies with the big equipment really aren't that good, they just take up alot of room. Get them moving alot and they will give up 3-4 goals a game. Imo, this isn't really just a problem with bigger goalies, it just becomes more obvious with them. Their offensive hockey sense is just lacking.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
in order to beat a gigantic goalie, imo, you need to be able to gel. you have to be able to go east-west (despite cowbells feelings on the topic :sarcasm: ) in the offensive zone…you have to get their feet moving. last year, we fared quite well against lundqvist because our lines were ****ing solid. this year, due to pari$e and injuries, our lines are garbage. ok, not garbage, but I haven’t seen chemistry yet, outside of rare glimpses with patty and whoever’s next to patty.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I predict;

Tallinder for Salvador
Fayne for Larsson
Barch for Gionta

Carter is a center anyways.

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Henrique-Lokti-D'Ags
Pesonen-Carter-Bernier
Kostopolous-Sestito-Barch

woof. We need Zubrus and Poni STAT.

God damn... that lineup looks terrible wich ever way we want to slice it :laugh:

I would flip Bernier and D'Agostini. Bernier has been real good this year and he's the player I'd see earning top #6 minutes with the injury to Kovy and the gang.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I predict;

Tallinder for Salvador
Fayne for Larsson
Barch for Gionta

Carter is a center anyways.

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Henrique-Lokti-D'Ags
Pesonen-Carter-Bernier
Kostopolous-Sestito-Barch

woof. We need Zubrus and Poni STAT.

Maybe I missed something...any reason Larsson would be coming out?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Maybe I missed something...any reason Larsson would be coming out?

He looked bad last night several times and got sat for a short spell in the 3rd iirc. I just predict a "maintenance" game or three off and let Fayne get in there is all. No biggie.

Maybe he's constipated.

God damn... that lineup looks terrible wich ever way we want to slice it :laugh:

I would flip Bernier and D'Agostini. Bernier has been real good this year and he's the player I'd see earning top #6 minutes with the injury to Kovy and the gang.

I am just trying to predict what Pete will do; not what I would do. I've found that pretty pointless the last few years. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad