Post-Game Talk: The Bigger They Are, The Harder We Suck. Devils lose 3-2 to Sens

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
its crucial that the devils pick up points in some fashion with the injuries. regardless of the circumstances (yes they deserved two, but what can you do?), they got one against the best team in the entire league on home ice. the shots against were nice to look at for the third straight game and all five dmen really stepped up over the final 25 mins. offensively, i saw the most hustle and compete level down low that i have seen all season BY FAR. tough to lose another extra point, but just gotta saddle up for the next one and get it done.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
You need lateral quickness to be these big goalkeepers. If we think we are going to be them by taking shots low-probability shots then we are in trouble. Gotta get him moving whether it be by a good dangle on a breakaway or side to side passing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i told myself when the third period started, i would be pleased with a point (and even before the game). its crucial that the devils pick up points in some fashion with the injuries. regardless of the circumstances (yes they deserved two, but what can you do?), they got one against the best team in the entire league on home ice. the shots against were nice to look at for the third straight game and all five dmen really stepped up over the final 25 mins. offensively, i saw the most hustle and compete level down low that i have seen all season BY FAR. tough to lose another extra point, but just gotta saddle up for the next one and get it done.
I wanted just a point too by that point in time. This is a game you want back when you see how bad you outplayed a pretty good (Aside from most of the 1st period) team. If this team could learn how to get it past this Hindenburg then maybe we score 3.

Please put Tallinder in next game. Never thought I'd be saying this either a month ago either, but get him back in there Friday. The best that could happen is he ups his trade value.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Really gutsy effort from the Devils tonight. Aside from some poor turnovers, I was pretty impressed and felt like NJ should have earned the two points. They were the better team imho and this was one of their best efforts of the season. Can't ask for more.

As for the shootout...... not so much. Elias and Henrique make me want to cry.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You need lateral quickness to be these big goalkeepers. If we think we are going to be them by taking shots low-probability shots then we are in trouble. Gotta get him moving whether it be by a good dangle on a breakaway or side to side passing.

That, deflections, screens, rebounds, or hope that he gives up some BS softy like Lindback was the first time we played him this year. Or you gotta get the leaning tower of padsa to tip and on the ground like Loki's goal.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
hopefully marty managed to get his shaky night outta the way. he was fighting it a bit throughout. and also in case anyone forgot, zids rolled the highlight film :yo:

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
also, gotta remember when saying the devils shoulda won this game handily. the sens hit like three posts in the opening period and botched a couple glorious chances early on. game coulda been over pretty fast......just food for thought

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
hopefully marty managed to get his shaky night outta the way. he was fighting it a bit throughout. and also in case anyone forgot, zids rolled the highlight film :yo:

I said it in my PGT thread (which should have been the one you guys chose, **** you :sarcasm:), Zidlicky had his best game of the season so far.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
also, gotta remember when saying the devils shoulda won this game handily. the sens hit like three posts in the opening period and botched a couple glorious chances early on. game coulda been over pretty fast......just food for thought

Like I said it was like a Guy Boucher coached team in the 1st. The PP was pathetic without Kovy. 2 shorthanded breaks.

rtr1105

1995 • 2000 • 2003
Jan 26, 2013
New Jersey, USA
Eh what can I say. We were resilient and lost in the skills competition gimmick. At least we got a point. It's been a while, but Zajac was one of the better players out there tonight. After that Greening goal I thought Larsson picked up his play so that was good to see from the youngster. If we could keep picking up points, and we get healthy going into the playoffs, I'll be really excited. We could have CBGB as our fourth line most likely and have legitimate top 3 lines.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Like I said it was like a Guy Boucher coached team in the 1st. The PP was pathetic without Kovy. 2 shorthanded breaks.

Pete saved the game with the timeout and the tongue-lashing. This looked like a mail-in performance the first ten minutes. Then they somehow outplayed Ottawa severely in the last 55 minutes with sixteen skaters.

Of course their lack of finish was just as costly in the 65 minute regular game as it was the skills competition.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
its crucial that the devils pick up points in some fashion with the injuries. regardless of the circumstances (yes they deserved two, but what can you do?), they got one against the best team in the entire league on home ice. the shots against were nice to look at for the third straight game and all five dmen really stepped up over the final 25 mins. offensively, i saw the most hustle and compete level down low that i have seen all season BY FAR. tough to lose another extra point, but just gotta saddle up for the next one and get it done.

Really gutsy effort from the Devils tonight. Aside from some poor turnovers, I was pretty impressed and felt like NJ should have earned the two points. They were the better team imho and this was one of their best efforts of the season. Can't ask for more.

Agreed. The Sens were never going to be an easy win. Really have so much respect for that team this season - especially when you see how shaky things got as the Devils tried to readjust to Kovy not being there.
I think we all finally got our first glimpse of the real Pistol Pete.

Despite some of the teams having a game or two in hand, tonight's 3 point games are starting to build a cushion between 7th and 9th place.

It's frustrating as hell to not get that 2nd point - but it's good to know that the Devils can still gather their collective ***** and play as well as they could to try and get a win.

The team is off to relax for a few days in Florida before the next game. Hopefully that'll help them make that final push into being a contender.

The 3rd period was some really good hockey out of them, some of the best from this season -- they just need to play a little looser in front of the net. This long period of rest might be exactly what they need to start playing that way.

I'll take this point against a team fighting as hard as the Sens any time.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I said it in my PGT thread (which should have been the one you guys chose, **** you :sarcasm:), Zidlicky had his best game of the season so far.

and lokti's smile cracks me up and the fact that he always seems to have it on his face :laugh:

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
Am I the only one who thinks these padwall blimps like Bishop are ruining the art of goaltending? I don't want it getting to the point where massive height and size becomes a prerequisite to play the position, like basketball. Most of these large goaltenders (Lundqvist and Markstrom are exceptions) have little in the way of the athleticism goalies traditionally relied on. I think after Marty retires it will truly be the end of an era for goaltending. Pad stacks, diving saves, etc. will be a thing of the past as massive goalies continue to play the percentages game and try to simply clog up as much of the net as possible.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think if Lehner plays we get the win. Another big guy with big equipment, and a better goaltender yes. Though I think the team would fair better against him, same with Anderson. Who are both better than this goodyear.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Am I the only one who thinks these padwall blimps like Bishop are ruining the art of goaltending? I don't want it getting to the point where massive height and size becomes a prerequisite to play the position, like basketball. Most of these large goaltenders (Lundqvist and Markstrom are exceptions) have little in the way of the athleticism goalies traditionally relied on. I think after Marty retires it will truly be the end of an era for goaltending. Pad stacks, diving saves, etc. will be a thing of the past as massive goalies continue to play the percentages game and try to simply clog up as much of the net as possible.

no.

goaltending nowadays is boring. it's all about the angles and percentages. goalies have no personality.

cardboard cutouts.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
I'm surprised by the negativity here.

With all of the injuries to top 9 FW's and losing 2 more players during the game I was happy to get a point.

While Ottawa also has injuries they also possess a greater amount of skill players and have a top minor league system, not surprising they won the skill competition.

Don't have the horses to do much better than we did tonight against serious competition.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'll take this point against a team fighting as hard as the Sens any time.

I'll take the effort, and the game the Devils played for the last 55 minutes.

But getting only one is dissapointing considering how well the Devils played and quite honestly they deserved and needed a two-point reward for that game. I'm still worried all these skill points lost are going to come back to bite us one way or another, we're not really in position to settle for one too often anymore.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't even get some people started. Some people are just gonna come in here, and say ''Well the god damn guy can't help that he's 6 foot 11'' or something. I agree though. Lundqvist is a great goalie, and I am comfortable enough with my Devils fanuality to admit this. Same with a guy like Price who we lost to recently. No shame in outplaying those guys teams, and losing. They're some of the best in the league. Now these backups like Enroth with his stupid equipment (He's 5'11'' what's his excuse?) and other such garbage. Mike Smith, James Reimer, etc. All clog up the net and take as much up as possible.

I'm old school, and I can't stand the crap honestly. I remember when Garth Snow was the biggest padded goalie in the league and you know what? He kinda sucked to be honest with you. Arters Irbe, LOL! Patrick Roy wore HUGE equipment later on in his career, but was a good athletic goalie. Snow was just a joke kinda like many of these blimps. Just stand there, and let the puck hit you.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Lou agrees with you, he's never signed pad monsters and I doubt ever will though like Bleed said he should get some ECHL pad monster in for practice so they can at least get an idea of how to shoot against those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00