Post-Game Talk: The Bigger They Are, The Harder We Suck. Devils lose 3-2 to Sens

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Better for a prospect to be overripe when brought up than under ripe and have his development/confidence stunted.

Yea, like these guys

Mattias+Tedenby+Washington+Capitals+v+New+9mLLh_Wljx7l.jpg

gyi0061846638.0_standard_352.0.jpg

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
so how many more wins would the devils need to secure a spot?

8-ish probably. They need to essentially go 8-7 to make it.

They have games against Tampa, Florida x2, Islanders, Buffalo, Philly which are games they should win. They have games against Toronto x2, Rangers x2, Sens which would be toss up games. Finally, they have games against Pittsburgh, Boston x2, Canadiens which will be more difficult.

It really comes down to when does Kovy return. Both XRay and MRI were negative so I am hopeful on the 2 week end of things which means we play Tampa, Florida, Islanders, Bruins, Leafs and Sabers with him out. Even with no Kovy we should be able to beat Florida and Tampa, and Id venture we can steal a few points against those other teams as well.

The good news is once this team starts getting players back we really get all out players back. Poni, Zubrus and Kovy should all be returning around the same time (maybe not Kovy, but atleast the other 2).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
so how many more wins would the devils need to secure a spot?

Depending on how we make it (ROW, SO, who we give points to, etc) it can vary, but:

51 points gives us a 41-45% chance of making it.
52 points gives us a 66-73% chance of making it.
53 points gives us a 87-91% chance of making it.

If Carolina continues to lose, that percentage becomes larger and larger.

52 is a safe bet to get in. Right now we're on track for 7-6-2 in our final 15 to give us a total of 53 points and put us comfortably in the 7th seed.

To maintain 6th, we need 57-60 points, which means 8-3-4.

Given our records against Carolina and Winnipeg this season, I would prefer the 7th seed to the 6th seed so that we can face Montreal, a team that Marty tends to dominate historically.

LINK

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
Depending on how we make it (ROW, SO, who we give points to, etc) it can vary, but:

If Carolina continues to lose, that number becomes smaller and smaller.

52 is a safe bet to get in. Right now we're on track for 7-6-2 in our final 15 to give us a total of 53 points and put us comfortably in the 7th seed.

Given our records against Carolina and Winnipeg this season, I would prefer the 7th seed to the 6th seed so that we can face Montreal, a team that Marty tends to dominate historically.

LINK

Do you really think Montreal can hold off Boston? While I would love a Devils-Bruins series so I could go to more games I dont think we matchup well against the Bruins.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm in between the first two posts, 8-6-1 to be in the clear IMO...but it's all guesswork at this point anyway.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

If Carolina continues to lose, that percentage becomes larger and larger.

LINK

Great post, thanks.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
So, anticipating for OT loser points since we live off of em apparently, we need about 7 wins to do this. I'll take it. Milk as many games to the extra point and we should be gold. Woo go win

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
You just don't care about possible playoff opponents right now. Just get in. The rest will take care of itself.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd say go 500 and we're in. We could probably lose every game in OT for the rest of the season and get in. Not that I wanna see that happen, but 52 points is a good place to aim for. Unless Washington or Carolina goes on a hot streak, and the Jets still keep up their pace which puts two southeast teams in the playoffs. Then Buffalo does their annual ''We're gonna trade Ryan Miller!" and then proceeds to go on a hot streak, and decides to keep Miller. Before just missing out the last few days of the season.

Oh great we got the Isles again. I hate losing to that POS franchise. I also am a rebel to the ''Devils respect the Isles cause we hate the Rangers'' mentality too. While we're at it lets just respect the Pens since we both hate the Flyers. **** the fishsticks hard.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I'd say go 500 and we're in. We could probably lose every game in OT for the rest of the season and get in. Not that I wanna see that happen, but 52 points is a good place to aim for. Unless Washington or Carolina goes on a hot streak, and the Jets still keep up their pace which puts two southeast teams in the playoffs. Then Buffalo does their annual ''We're gonna trade Ryan Miller!" and then proceeds to go on a hot streak, and decides to keep Miller. Before just missing out the last few days of the season.

Oh great we got the Isles again. I hate losing to that POS franchise. I also am a rebel to the ''Devils respect the Isles cause we hate the Rangers'' mentality too. While we're at it lets just respect the Pens since we both hate the Flyers. **** the fishsticks hard.

i am w/you on the islander/devils friendship. i hate losing to that team! hate it. i simply cannot respect them.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
Interesting game last night... Sens deserved a point for the first, whereas you guys deserved a point for badly outplaying the Sens the rest of the way. I guess I'm glad it ended up in OT, although neither team really deserved 2 since both teams could have comfortably put it away when they had the upper hand...

My biggest takeaway from that game was Loktionov. Don't really know much about him but I'm walking away impressed. He seemed to be a better player than his historical stats suggest. Is that a fair assessment or did he just have an out-of-character game?

Good luck the rest of the way. Hope you guys (and any 2 other teams) pass the Leafs! :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i am w/you on the islander/devils friendship. i hate losing to that team! hate it. i simply cannot respect them.

I don't really like any teams in the east. Ottawa, and Washington I don't dislike too much. The Florida teams I don't really hate (Hate losing to them though cause they're bottom feeders this year) aside from that the east can go **** themselves. Yeah I hate the Isles/Devils friendship. I bet if the Isles were competitive most of these people would hate them as much as the Rangers. The fact that us, and the Rangers have won 4 between the two of us since the Isles have won a playoff round nobody cares. If the Isles were actually competitive I bet Devils fans would hate them as much as the Rangers/Flyers/Pens.

Isles/Devils alliance to me is like a Devils/Pens alliance since we both hate the Flyers!:laugh:

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Interesting game last night... Sens deserved a point for the first, whereas you guys deserved a point for badly outplaying the Sens the rest of the way. I guess I'm glad it ended up in OT, although neither team really deserved 2 since both teams could have comfortably put it away when they had the upper hand...

My biggest takeaway from that game was Loktionov. Don't really know much about him but I'm walking away impressed. He seemed to be a better player than his historical stats suggest. Is that a fair assessment or did he just have an out-of-character game?

Good luck the rest of the way. Hope you guys (and any 2 other teams) pass the Leafs! :laugh:

I appreciate your analysis about the game and I agree with it.

As far as Loki, we are all stunned as to how he has managed to do so well here. I knew that he was a skilled player who didn't get much of a look in LA but here he has looked like a top 6 center. It was not an out of character game. His vision and speed makes him so dangerous and he has been awesome centering Kovy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Nope Loktionov this year for us has been better than any forward we've drafted since Travis Zajac in 2004. He was a 5th round pick in 08, and makes our 08 pick look like a 5th round pick while he looks like the 1st rounder. It was one trade I really applaud our GM for making this year. Loktionov scoring points without playing with Kovalchuk is even better. He's been a gem for us this year unlike the guys we drafted that were sent back to the AHL after so many games.

Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season. Really enjoying the Sens march against adversity. Hope we can pull off similar results, and please do us a favor and beat up on the Laffs also!:laugh: Just be more reliable than Boston is to us. Those guys always ensure a team we're battling with gets an OT point!:laugh:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
:laugh: how could anyone hate the islanders? yes they are local, but theyre as harmless as a fruit fly

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
:laugh: how could anyone hate the islanders? yes they are local, but theyre as harmless as a fruit fly

And this right here is exactly why I think people ''Respect'' them. If they were actually competitive every year like the other 4 teams in our division people would probably be singing a different tune.

They're not a team I hate the most or anything. However I don't like any division rival. I also hate losing to this POS suck team as well. I also am disgusted we gave up 5 goals to them twice this year, and they seem to be the one division team (Probably because they're looked at as harmless) that we don't seem to come out in full force every time we play them.

NHL Fanatik*

If it were the Islanders of old, I would despise them. But since it's Islanders of new, I tend to cut them some slack... Unless we are playing them. Then I dislike them greatly. If I remember correctly, we tend to not do so well against them. Or any other low-standing team for that matter

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If it were the Islanders of old, I would despise them. But since it's Islanders of new, I tend to cut them some slack... Unless we are playing them. Then I dislike them greatly. If I remember correctly, we tend to not do so well against them. Or any other low-standing team for that matter

We don't do bad against them particularly, but we don't do great against them sometimes either. We've already had two 5 goal against games from them this year. Last year we gave up 7 goals to them in 6 games. This year we've given up 11 goals to them in 4 games. And yes they had Tavares last year too, but he didn't have the luck against us last year.

They're usually in 10th or 11th after the 30 game mark most seasons so they really aren't better this year. The only better thing about them this year is they actually have a REAL goaltender now, and probably Visnovsky who hasn't been there the whole season.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don't really like any teams in the east.

I like the Senators and Maple Leafs. Indifferent to the Lightning, who are probably not going to make the playoffs for a few years (imo)

In the west, I like the Flames and Blue Jackets, but I may have to start hating Columbus if they're going to be in our division next year

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like the Senators and Maple Leafs. Indifferent to the Lightning, who are probably not going to make the playoffs for a few years (imo)

In the west, I like the Flames and Blue Jackets, but I may have to start hating Columbus if they're going to be in our division next year

I like the Canucks (Kill me if you wish!) and the Predators in the west. The Sharks and Blues are cool too. The Caps and Sens in the east I'm cool with. I actually hated Alfie and the Sens until a year ago oddly enough. From the disaster of the last day of the regular season in 96 until 2012!

When it comes down to it in a season like this though I'll root for the Rangers if they're playing a team we need to absolutely lose. The Rangers aren't in that position right now regardless.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I actually enjoy watching most teams out west. Maybe I just like that style more or I don't like the eastern teams due to rivalry issues.

Not a huge fan of Colorado from 2001 though, forget that they can miss the playoffs forever at the 9th spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad