When does ROD start getting criticized?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
When he was the coach.
I don't think you are correct. Frank Corrado, has come out and has given his opinion (negative) on Babcock, but he is not a star of course Mike Commodore and Franzen weren't Leafs. Frazer supported Commodore. Do you have one example of a Maple Leafs star crying- or are you not going to do my research for me?

Reactions: Voight

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think you are correct. Frank Corrado, has come out and has given his opinion (negative) on Babcock, but he is not a star of course Mike Commodore and Franzen weren't Leafs. Frazer supported Commodore. Do you have one example of a Maple Leafs star crying- or are you not going to do my research for me?
Why did you ask if you have all the answers?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Then ignore me. It’s well known the leafs liked Keefe because he’s a players coach and didn’t like Babcock’s tough coaching.
That might be true. No one likes to work for an asshole. No one cried though. Marner thrived under the tough coaching of Dale Hunter for example.

Reactions: Voight

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That might be true. No one likes to work for an asshole. No one cried though. Marner thrived under the tough coaching of Dale Hunter for example.
Incorrect. Marner is reported to have cried because Babcock made a point about playing with effort.

Dale Hunter, lol. To quote a wise man "stop [bleeping] crying bro… this isn’t [bleeping] juniors”

The goal is to win a Stanley Cup. Not make the players feel like "gods"

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Incorrect. Marner is reported to have cried because Babcock made a point about playing with effort.

Dale Hunter, lol. To quote a wise man "stop [bleeping] crying bro… this isn’t [bleeping] juniors”

If the goal is to win a cup, probably a coach that hadn’t gotten out of the 2nd round since 2010 isn’t the answer. You can be a dick if you’re good at what you do, Babcock wasn’t really good at what he does in a long time.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If the goal is to win a cup, probably a coach that hadn’t gotten out of the 2nd round since 2010 isn’t the answer. You can be a dick if you’re good at what you do, Babcock wasn’t really good at what he does in a long time.
I think there is a lot to criticize with Babcock's tactics, but I don't think Sheldon Keefe's Kumbaya Approach was the answer either.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Where is the "report"?
Dale Hunter was Marner's coach in London.
That wise man is Willaim Nylander - also someone who didn't about Babocock.
Yes, that is the goal.
I don't think any coach tries to make the players feel like "gods" although incidentally Mitch Marner was asked about what it was like playing playing for the Leafs and he responded that it means the world to him and that Leaf players are kinda like gods here.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think any coach tries to make the players feel like "gods" although incidentally Mitch Marner was asked about what it was like playing playing for the Leafs and he responded that it means the world to him and that Leaf players are kinda like gods here.
Exactly. You don't hear Vegas players coming out of a Game 7 loss talking about feeling like Gods.

Tells you a lot about the mentalities at play.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Exactly. You don't hear Vegas players coming out of a Game 7 loss talking about feeling like Gods.

Tells you a lot about the mentalities at play.
Not Vegas, not Toronto, not Chicago not anywhere. I do think that players from most cities are revered as athletes though·

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not Vegas, not Toronto, not Chicago not anywhere. I do think that players from most cities are revered as athletes though·
Right, admired, respected, appreciated. The word “Gods” though. That came right from Marner’s mouth. Nobody told him to say that. You only say that because a large part of you believes it

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Right, admired, respected, appreciated. The word “Gods” though. That came right from Marner’s mouth. Nobody told him to say that. You only say that because a large part of you believes it
Yeah, poor choice words. Everyone understood the context though.

Reactions: Glacious

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's not easy being a perennial mid round playoff team year after year, as frustrating as it may be to keep stalling at the same point.

It's just one of those teams that you would think would breakthrough and reach the final one of these years with the current core, and they invested pretty aggressively this year to breakthrough.

They are kind of like the Toronto maple leafs of the mid rounds.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It's not easy being a perennial mid round playoff team year after year, as frustrating as it may be to keep stalling at the same point.

It's just one of those teams that you would think would breakthrough and reach the final one of these years with the current core, and they invested pretty aggressively this year to breakthrough.

They are kind of like the Toronto maple leafs of the mid rounds.
Perhaps, but the could also be like the Colorado Avalanche of the mid rounds. They broke through. Leafs not so much. However, I would trade the past 8 years for the 8 years before that·

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Still, if Rod became available, I hope the Leafs would concider him. He would definitely be criticized in that event.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Perhaps, but the could also be like the Colorado Avalanche of the mid rounds. They broke through. Leafs not so much. However, I would trade the past 8 years for the 8 years before that·

Yeah, I think the hockey world has kind of been waiting for that inevitable breakthrough for Carolina. It has felt like a matter of time before they get their turn in a cup final. But these "lessons" have been going on for 6 years now.

They may yet breakthrough but 6 years is a long time.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, I think the hockey world has kind of been waiting for that inevitable breakthrough for Carolina. It has felt like a matter of time before they get their turn in a cup final. But these "lessons" have been going on for 6 years now.

They may yet breakthrough but 6 years is a long time.
Yeah, I hear that. I am still waiting for the Leafs to learn the ones that the Canes have learned.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Don’t think it’s Rod’s fault, that team just isn’t built for the playoffs.
That’s mostly it right there. They’re not built for the playoffs and they aren’t built how he’d build a team. Goal one was to build around what they had and make it into a perennial playoff team. Now they have to shift it into a true winner, the next two off seasons will be chances to rearrange the deck chairs a bit.

I don’t blame Rod, I don’t expect him to change the way he coaches. I expect the people who make the roster to understand that and find the right players.

If he has a real fault he’s too loyal to the players who work hard for him. The team needs fresh blood, he picks the lineup before camp even starts it feels like and unless there are injuries or really bad play that’s the lineup all year. It’s hard for young players to break in even if they’re pretty good. That’s the one thing I’d change. He’ll stick with something that doesn’t work too long.

Last edited:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
A coach can be a great coach and still have his faults. It's not GREAT or TERRIBLE.

Rod is a very good coach whose teams are incredibly defensively sound and at their best are always putting pressure on the opposing team. He's as good as any coach with the line matchups and giving his team the best advantage possible on any given shift.

His offensive scheme has also shown holes and it's happened more than just once or twice just to ignore. Canes are throwing everything at the net which has its benefits, but the Rangers are playing well defensively and a lot of these shots lead to a loss of possession with the puck being cleared or going the other way.

The Canes had 0 high danger opportunities in the 3rd period there before Svechnikov's tying goal. A period which they were down in for the majority by 1 goal while being down 0-2 in the series. That's when I expect the biggest push from a team trying to tie the game and everything dried up. Credit to Carolina, they were able to push through with a nice tying goal, but it still doesn't change that they went 18 minutes without Shesterkin having to break a sweat.

The amount of times I've seen a Carolina player go 1v2, 1v3, 1v4 on the rush just to shoot it into shin pads or for Shesterkin to make a routine save is baffling. Canes have the speed and skill to do so much more. Get the forecheck going, put pressure on the Rangers D, and try and generate offense from below the goal line. When you fling it at the goalie constantly for stoppages and faceoffs, you're preventing your top offensive players from being able to do what they do best. Sure, it helps with possession with the o-zone draws and on home ice, you'll always have the matchups you want but you're handicapping your star players.

Is he a great coach? Of course. Are there flaws and things he can improve on to get Carolina to the next level? I definitely think so.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He can't score the goals for them.

The last two games have gone to OT and they could have easily won either/both. Bottom line is, even Guentzel being playoff Guentzel can't make up for the fact too many of the core group can't score in the playoffs. They create plenty of chances. They just can't finish.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad