OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V6~ Let's drink!

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I’m a Sierra Nevada / Lagunitas guy. I don’t need milk proteins in my beer.
Now we're talking. SN Pale Ale is my go-to choice when maintaining proper hydration during yard work or boating. Lagunitas base IPA is always up there in my rotation as well. We Washingtonians don't enjoy the full Lagunitas menu, at least in my neck of the woods, but I've yet to try one of their beers I didn't enjoy. I can't complain about my local options, though, Bellingham is tied for #12 in the nation for brew pubs per capita. I can get to 7 pubs on my bike in less than 10 minutes from my house, not bad for a town with less than 90,000 souls.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Will be in town this weekend with my gf, was wondering if anyone could recommend a night spot in or around downtown that wouldn’t be too crowded. Looking for a laid back place yet fun. We are around 40 but usually act half our age. Thanks!
Over Eden is a rooftop bar that just opened in Lawrenceville. I've also heard good things about Acacia in South Side

Reactions: Guentz

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Sure. Doesn’t mean I have to buy the trend. I’m not a fan of BBA which was the big trend a few years ago.

BBA is an acquired taste. Where everybody likes juice. Taste all these hops but not at 100+ ibu's. I don't see this trend going away for awhile. It's been going strong for like 3 years now and only getting bigger.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m not really a fan of the new age kettle stuff, but Cantillion, Russian River, Allagash, etc. are all phenomenal treats when I want to drop too much money on beer.

I'm sat here at work wearing a Cantillion shirt actually. Me and my wife keep debating the ethics of saving a bottle from our stash (easy enough to get to Brussels from London and buy it at very cheap prices) to bring over and sell for muchos dineros the next time we're in the US. Just can't bring ourselves to be that people.

But yeah. Majorly about sours. Went to the London Craft Beer Festival Sunday and pretty much drank sours. Probably why my stomach betrayed me and I now feel very fragile. Nothing exceptional, but there was one very good Ginger and Lime Berliner from somewhere, and Amundsen had a good Milkshake Sour IPA or something. Too much going on but it worked. As and when we end up in the US full time, the major Scandie breweries will be the thing I miss most about beer... that and Cantillion.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This probably makes me sounds like a jackass, but I just can't buy craft beers that sold to AB InBev. I don't hate on the owners as they created a successful business and have every right to sell and make money for themselves and family, but as soon as one sells, my $'s go elsewhere.

Wicked Weed probably still makes good beer, but I just can't do it. I'm sure it makes me a hypocrite as I probably purchase half of my craft beer from Whole Foods Amazon.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
This probably makes me sounds like a jackass, but I just can't buy craft beers that sold to AB InBev. I don't hate on the owners as they created a successful business and have every right to sell and make money for themselves and family, but as soon as one sells, my $'s go elsewhere.

Wicked Weed probably still makes good beer, but I just can't do it. I'm sure it makes me a hypocrite as I probably purchase half of my craft beer from Whole Foods Amazon.

Yeah, I felt a little dirty doing it. Especially since Charleston has an abundance of local, really good breweries that are pumping out some solid sours (a friend of mine is a brewer at the local Commonhouse Ale Works and their Indigose is phenomenal). But the packaging was really pretty and I had to try it, still trying to get through sour season while it lasts here (which is a little longer down in South Carolina).

Reactions: Shady Machine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I don't follow such a practice totally, but I do tend to steer away from those who are now part of the big beer machine, and often shop at places that won't carry them. In my case the hypocrisy is that I wouldn't do that with spirits - but then, there's a ton of fully independent craft breweries out there, and not so much in the way of distilleries.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

Yeah, I was going to say I traded for some Wicked Weed before they sold out. I haven't touched them since. I wonder how the quality is and was it worth it? I remember people dropping collabs and pulling them from anny parties when the news broke. Their instagram looks dead and their branding looks way worse. They use be the top dogs in sours.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I really wish I could get Dancing Gnome or Brew Gentlemen at Steelers games. They could at the very least get a tent outside the stadium. You'd think the Steelers would be willing to help local businesses.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Life is understandably too short to drink mass produced beer, especially given my age of now being calorie conscious but not wanting to drink watered down nonsense. However good beer is also good beer! Wicked Weed selling out sucks but these guys may have a hand in product, just looking for a way to reach more people (I don't know the intricacies of their deal with InBev). I'm waiting for Troegs to make it to South Carolina (it's currently down to North Carolina) but it may not do it without selling out to a conglomerate that can give them a bigger market place. If it means being 70% autonomous instead of 100% for these guys it may be worth it.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I'm gonna just sit over here in the corner and drink my Bud Light Lime by myself. Sorry folks :laugh:

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad