OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V6~ Let's drink!

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I’m a Sierra Nevada / Lagunitas guy. I don’t need milk proteins in my beer.

While we’re on the path of condemning breweries for various reasons: f*** Lagunitas.

My wife and I had a venue in downtown Charleston picked out for our wedding. It was a restaurant that had its own brewery but had three stories, two of which could be used for a reception. It had the rustic, industrial style my wife wanted and more importantly it was relatively affordable and near parking so everyone would have an easy time getting around, plus they could enjoy the touristy part when the reception was over.

We were getting ready to sign our contract with the venue when Lagunitas buys the building with the intent to turn it in to a brew house. They planner cuts off all contact with us (assuming she was let go) and we heard nothing so we were scrambling to find a new venue (we landed one that was a touch more expensive).

Soon more stories like ours trickled out. People were about to book and suddenly radio silence, sending planning in to a tailspin. And then it got worse. Couples that were locked in were still able to use the facilities, but instead of the bare brick and metal look they wanted... they had a space that was covered in tacky Lagunitas street signs and billboards.

Not long after they found out the building had a ton of structural damage (everything in Charleston is super old) and the building was shut down and Lagunitas moved on. It’s just sitting there now waiting for someone to buy it and renovate. But screw Lagunitas.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I like some water beer myself, Genny Light and Blue light mostly, but Bud Light is the absolute bottom rung of the beer ladder. It's one of like 3 beers where if I were offered it for free, I'd pass.

My wife loves sours, I'm hit or miss on them. I really like Hudson Valley's sours and sour IPA's, but there are plenty of good ones out there. Plan Bee and Allagash are other good ones that I've had for a more traditional style. Burley Oak and Mortalis make the best Smoothie like sours I've had. 420 or 450 North whichever it is has some very good ones in the "smoothie/puree" style as well.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I still don't understand how people can notice a difference between Bud Light/Miller Lite/Coors Light/IC Light/other cheap, crap beer.

If I'm out just getting buzzed or something I'm just taking whatevers cheapest. It all tastes the same to me.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Miller Lite >> Bud Light >>> Coors Light
I would actually agree if I had rank them. If I'm buying a case I'd go in that order.

This may sound weird but if I'm out, a lot of it depends on where I am. Pirates game? IC Light. Penguins game? Labbatt or Blue Light. At a bar watching sports? Bud/Miller.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Thanks! We are actually staying near there and tried getting in last time we were in town but it was closed for a private party.

Forgot to offer more suggestions yesterday -- had a rough one.

Butcher and the Rye
Meat and Potatoes
Ten Penny
The Commoner (haven't been, but have heard good things)
Revel + Roost
Olive or Twist

Reactions: ownal

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So you like lime in your water... You fancy
tenor.gif

It's nice having a cheap beer that isn't really strong when I have to drive. Also it's fantastic for drinking while playing sports out in the sun. Our one buddy brought IPA's to the beach tourne and was drinking our BLL an hour in.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
tenor.gif

It's nice having a cheap beer that isn't really strong when I have to drive. Also it's fantastic for drinking while playing sports out in the sun. Our one buddy brought IPA's to the beach tourne and was drinking our BLL an hour in.

I'm the guy pounding dipa's on the beach. Granted I'm not playing sports when I do. I get it though, light beers have their place. Not really that they are "cheap" It's just why drink 5 when I can drink one and it taste better. I guess the same reason some people prefer liquor over beer.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Platform's Instagram post that announced their sale to InBev was filled with "sellout" comments. Now they've been deleted.

Which, I see both sides but I'll definitely be drinking less of their beer.

Some of those comments were gold.

Yup I'm done drinking their beer. Like I said, good for the owners, but I choose to spend my local beer $'s on breweries that are actually local. I live in Cleveland so it's all the more relevant for me.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm the guy pounding dipa's on the beach. Granted I'm not playing sports when I do. I get it though, light beers have their place. Not really that they are "cheap" It's just why drink 5 when I can drink one and it taste better. I guess the same reason some people prefer liquor over beer.
I'm well past the age of being in a rush to get drunk, so being weaker is an advantage if anything. But taste for sure. It's certainly not what I'm drinking of I'm getting one beer with dinner. But I am actually very happy I haven't "evolved" my taste to the point where I dislike light stuff. I am right where I want to be. I can always find a good beer on a menu somewhere better, but I can also enjoy something light.

Reactions: Peat and Beauner

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Forgot to offer more suggestions yesterday -- had a rough one.

Butcher and the Rye
Meat and Potatoes
Ten Penny
The Commoner (haven't been, but have heard good things)
Revel + Roost
Olive or Twist

Good taste. First person I've seen not suggest Primanti Brothers as the best food in the city.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Good taste. First person I've seen not suggest Primanti Brothers as the best food in the city.
I've never heard it called the best, just the most unique to Pittsburgh. If someone is looking for a different kind of bar food, I'd send them to Primanti's. If they ask for a legit meal, it is nowhere on the list.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
While we’re on the path of condemning breweries for various reasons: **** Lagunitas.

My wife and I had a venue in downtown Charleston picked out for our wedding. It was a restaurant that had its own brewery but had three stories, two of which could be used for a reception. It had the rustic, industrial style my wife wanted and more importantly it was relatively affordable and near parking so everyone would have an easy time getting around, plus they could enjoy the touristy part when the reception was over.

We were getting ready to sign our contract with the venue when Lagunitas buys the building with the intent to turn it in to a brew house. They planner cuts off all contact with us (assuming she was let go) and we heard nothing so we were scrambling to find a new venue (we landed one that was a touch more expensive).

Soon more stories like ours trickled out. People were about to book and suddenly radio silence, sending planning in to a tailspin. And then it got worse. Couples that were locked in were still able to use the facilities, but instead of the bare brick and metal look they wanted... they had a space that was covered in tacky Lagunitas street signs and billboards.

Not long after they found out the building had a ton of structural damage (everything in Charleston is super old) and the building was shut down and Lagunitas moved on. It’s just sitting there now waiting for someone to buy it and renovate. But screw Lagunitas.
Unless I'm missing something, I don't get your gripe with Lagunitas? The seller or the planner, yeah, that makes sense, I guess, but I can't fathom how Lagunitas did anyone wrong. Sorry for your inconvenience in any case.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Unless I'm missing something, I don't get your gripe with Lagunitas? The seller or the planner, yeah, that makes sense, I guess, but I can't fathom how Lagunitas did anyone wrong. Sorry for your inconvenience in any case.

They chose to cut off contact with those planning by firing the planner, who was part of the previous company and whom they could have kept to make a seamless transition. Who ever they hired to replace (if they did) completely ignored any potential clients that were far along in the process but not yet signed and then made the place beyond tacky when people wanted a certain look for those already in contract. It’s just poor business running by them and a garbage way to treat people.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They chose to cut off contact with those planning by firing the planner, who was part of the previous company and whom they could have kept to make a seamless transition. Who ever they hired to replace (if they did) completely ignored any potential clients that were far along in the process but not yet signed and then made the place beyond tacky when people wanted a certain look for those already in contract. It’s just poor business running by them and a garbage way to treat people.

I guess? They were under literally no obligation to do anything and if you want to target your rage at anyone it should be the owners who were allowing people to plan events there while obviously having the building on the market.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So i found recently I REALLY enjoy just flat out tequila on a little bit of ice and a wedge of lime. Any recommendations on some decently high end tequilas that are just solid sippers? I'll take any advice. New to the game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So i found recently I REALLY enjoy just flat out tequila on a little bit of ice and a wedge of lime. Any recommendations on some decently high end tequilas that are just solid sippers? I'll take any advice. New to the game.

Fortaleza and Ocho are my go tos.

Also, ditch the lime and ice. Mexicans will think you are a dumbass. It’s like a good whiskey. Drink it neat.

Reactions: ColePens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad