OT: The Avalounge's Official Game of Thrones Thread WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The claim that writers are terrible is ill-advised at best. As for Rickon and Dorne, well would it be better if they were featured more? Yes absolutely, but there is no time to put all of it in. To ignore time constraints of the show just invalidates the entire argument about the quality of the show.

I've read books and seen the show, they are both fantastic on their own, that is when you can view them and when you bother to view them as separate entities rather than take one or the other as the measuring stick for the other.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Did Rickon serve much purpose in the show other than being Ramsey's target?

He was also "burned" alongside Bran after Theon took Winterfell. That stirred the pot a bit.

Some characters are meant to just exist. Especially with the quantity of characters in the story.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The claim that writers are terrible is ill-advised at best. As for Rickon and Dorne, well would it be better if they were featured more? Yes absolutely, but there is no time to put all of it in. To ignore time constraints of the show just invalidates the entire argument about the quality of the show.

I've read books and seen the show, they are both fantastic on their own, that is when you can view them and when you bother to view them as separate entities rather than take one or the other as the measuring stick for the other.

Is it really, though? Reminds me of people trying to defend Sakic as a good GM.

Watch even just one of these videos and tell me it's "ill-advised" to be critical about sub-par writing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zqj_GvdP1TE

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I enjoyed the show up until about season 5. Then it went downhill in terms of dialogue, plot points and character motives and actions. I still watch it because it's one of those things where I'm too far in to just quit, the commitment has been made, now I have to see it to the end. I'm the same with The Walking Dead.

I was thinking this exact same thing today. I can't remember the exact moment when I was checked out but it was somewhere in season 5. Of course I still watch but it's a bit of a loveless marriage.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm fascinated by the debate on who would beat whom in a one-on-one fight. GRRM apparently put some real thought as to who is a truly great warrior vs. who might just be an average fighter but better leader/tactician, etc. A YouTube video kinda broke down who'd beat whom and I didn't realize at the time I watched it that when Ned Stark faced off against the Kingslayer that he was in way over his head.

Sounds like it goes: Arthur Dayne, Ser Barristan Selmy, and then Jaime Lannister sandwiched between the Brothers Clegane (which one ranks higher...I guess we'll find out). No idea where the Red Viper and guys like Robert Baratheon factor in, but they're likely up there as well. Of course Brienne defeated two of those guys so maybe she ends up tops of the list when all is said and done.

Lastly, I think I finally decided who the most repulsive character on the show is: Robin Arryn. Yikes, I rank him below even Joffrey, Pycelle, Qyburn, and Ramsey. GRRM sure knows how to craft horrible human beings. :laugh:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm fascinated by the debate on who would beat whom in a one-on-one fight. GRRM apparently put some real thought as to who is a truly great warrior vs. who might just be an average fighter but better leader/tactician, etc. A YouTube video kinda broke down who'd beat whom and I didn't realize at the time I watched it that when Ned Stark faced off against the Kingslayer that he was in way over his head.

Sounds like it goes: Arthur Dayne, Ser Barristan Selmy, and then Jaime Lannister sandwiched between the Brothers Clegane (which one ranks higher...I guess we'll find out). No idea where the Red Viper and guys like Robert Baratheon factor in, but they're likely up there as well. Of course Brienne defeated two of those guys so maybe she ends up tops of the list when all is said and done.

Lastly, I think I finally decided who the most repulsive character on the show is: Robin Arryn. Yikes, I rank him below even Joffrey, Pycelle, Qyburn, and Ramsey. GRRM sure knows how to craft horrible human beings. :laugh:

Pretty interesting that Ned and his crew managed to kill him. My favourite theory about that is that he was going to kill Ned but Howland Reed, Dayne's brother-in-law, stepped in and rather than kill him, sliced half of his sword hand off. And rather than face Robert's wrath, Ned gave him the option of taking the Black. He accepted, and then changed his name to Qhorin.

Probably unlikely but cool to think about, especially with the very strong possibility that Mance Rayder is Rhaegar in glamour. The theory being that when Robert killed Rhaegar, it was actually one of his Kingsguard wearing his armour and glamoured to look like him (rubies are used by Mel to glamour people, and rubies were encrusted into his armour, not hard to sneak a glamouring one in there)

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Jesus, I just caught up.

This has to be the best series I have ever seen. I literally jumped up and fist pumped when the dragons burned the Lannister army and Arya killed Littlefinger. I only get excited like that anymore when the Avs score a big goal........well, I guess I don't get excited like that anymore.

Carry on

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka

Wow, just read back a few pages.......well said, Ivan.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Got HBO streaming for a very limited time so I'm trying to get through as fast as possible. Getting through season 4 now, Joffrey's been dead for a couple episodes.

giphy.gif

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
On a side note I'm shocked Charles Dance and the guy who plays Roose Bolton aren't asked to do more voiceover work. Both of them make even the most inconsequential lines sound like poetry.

One other note: It's pretty jarring seeing Daario played so well in one episode by Ed Skrein and then played by another guy who looked COMPLETELY different the next season, but whatever, it's one minor stumble with a show this huge.

More notes: I guess my biggest critique thus far is with Stannis. He's an utterly fascinating character and well-played, but he's such a damned nutjob that he's making the late Ned Stark look like a damned fool for backing him for King. Should've just followed Cersei's advice and taken the crown for yerself, Ned.

You get the idea: One thing I'd like to see happen is the return of Ilyn Payne. He was expected to die from pancreatic cancer but the docs managed to save him, so he could yet make an appearance in the final season. Arya still has to kill him, right?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well...just finished "The Mountain and the Viper" last night. Holy ****ing ****...it's even worse when you already know what's going to happen. Epic, epic entertainment. Man, I don't think any scene on the screen has rattled me worse than that. Even worse than the dinner scene in Hannibal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad