OT: The Avalounge's Official Game of Thrones Thread WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Thanks Bubba. Turns out if you use google instead of HF's shitty search feature you find this thread instantly.

Last night's episode was a pretty good build up. So, so short though. Less than an hour?? Why?

Dany and Jon's scene at the waterfall had a top 5 cringe line of the whole series with the, "keep your queen warm."

I'm excited to see what's next.

P.S. RIP House Umber.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Thanks Bubba. Turns out if you use google instead of HF's ****ty search feature you find this thread instantly.

Last night's episode was a pretty good build up. So, so short though. Less than an hour?? Why?

Dany and Jon's scene at the waterfall had a top 5 cringe line of the whole series with the, "keep your queen warm."

I'm excited to see what's next.

P.S. RIP House Umber.
Apparently next episode will be right around an hour, and then the rest will be 70+ minutes each.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
For as much as it was built up, that was a very snoozer of an episode.

Felt like the Star Wars that came out and was exactly the same storyline as the first one. Just kinda bleh.

I feel like if I was to watch every GOT episode in a string together this would have been at the bottom of my list.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The one thing I didn't like at all is how quickly and expediently the rescue of Yara went. That should have been a HUGE moment with Theon facing off against Euron, and one or both of them dying. But I suppose they wanted Theon back in the north battling alongside the Starks to make his redemption complete. Meh...he doesn't belong there, he belongs on the sea.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah that was weird for sure

Also don’t understand why the fellas at the wall are still alive

The Nights watch guys weren't at East Watch so they could have gotten away easily. Tormund and Berric you see in Season 7 get to the safe side of the wall before it came down so they as well likely just flee the scene.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Great second episode, in my opinion. S7 had such a breakneck pace to it, and knowing there would only be 6 episodes in S8 meant that it would largely be the same (if not even faster paced), so it was nice to take breather and spend some time with all of these characters.

Sucks that a shitload of them aren't making it out of The Battle of Winterfell though.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Pretty much everyone got their chance to shine last night and most did. At least half these characters are as good as dead. Can't wait for the next episode, though I won't be able to watch it till the 3rd of May since I'm going out of service for a while soon.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Pretty excited to see the battle, but the writing so far has been pretty lame. Hopefully it picks up

Reactions: Nihiliste

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Lame?? It's been great so far. Not everything is about big fights, unless directed by Michael Bay.
I just didn't like the Jon Snow plotline where he gets told he's the rightful heir, and then he just tells her that he's the rightful heir.

Could have done a lot more with that. It's been fine so far.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I just didn't like the Jon Snow plotline where he gets told he's the rightful heir, and then he just tells her that he's the rightful heir.

"Just tells her"?

Semi-serious-but-mainly-joking question here: Did we watch the same episode? Jon avoided her until he felt he absolutely had to tell her about his true parentage. He actually didn't bring up having a better claim to the throne, he clearly was more concerned about how this newfound information impacts the love he has for Dany.

Dany, on the other hand...

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Why not? Gotta have a little perspective too, they're trying to cram in a lot of info in only 6 episodes, things will feel rushed but I think they've done a good job so far.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Great second episode, in my opinion. S7 had such a breakneck pace to it, and knowing there would only be 6 episodes in S8 meant that it would largely be the same (if not even faster paced), so it was nice to take breather and spend some time with all of these characters.

Sucks that a ****load of them aren't making it out of The Battle of Winterfell though.

Yes it's time to say good bye to some of our most beloved characters, most of them are not making it past next week

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Yes it's time to say good bye to some of our most beloved characters, most of them are not making it past next week

Yeah I thought the pacing of having every goddamn major and minor character prepare for their doom was a bit much... until I realized we aren't going to see a lot of them after the battle. They're basically building up the weight of the deaths in episode three without ruining the pacing of the battle.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Why not? Gotta have a little perspective too, they're trying to cram in a lot of info in only 6 episodes, things will feel rushed but I think they've done a good job so far.
No I understand they have limited time to cram everything in, just would have preferred it happened at the end (assuming they live). Would have been pretty good T.V. if they had some sort of ceremony and she finds out about Jon right when she thinks she's going k take the throne.

It's fine lol

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I've been arguing with my IT buddy for hours now and all I can do is smh. The first episode, although crucial, was definitely a bit anti-climatic, but I also feel that was due in part to the pace of the last season and the expectations after almost 2 years of waiting. The reunions and dialogues were necessary. I preferred episode 2 however and thought all the interactions were entertaining. It is obvious it is the last time we'll see a ton of these characters as mentioned previously. Particularly Brienne, IMO. She toast.

I just can't stand some people's opinion of the show in general or the last two episodes. They literally expect insane plot development and twists at every turn (maybe this is a testament to the show/writers that viewers have gotten greedy). My IT buddy was hoping for so much more from the last couple episodes and I had to ask him where he honestly thought there could be room for more plot development. Everything has culminated to this point; everyone is either in Winterfell or Kings Landing. Just ride it out, the next 4 episodes are gonna be nutty.

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I've been arguing with my IT buddy for hours now and all I can do is smh. The first episode, although crucial, was definitely a bit anti-climatic, but I also feel that was due in part to the pace of the last season and the expectations after almost 2 years of waiting. The reunions and dialogues were necessary. I preferred episode 2 however and thought all the interactions were entertaining. It is obvious it is the last time we'll see a ton of these characters as mentioned previously. Particularly Brienne, IMO. She toast.

I just can't stand some people's opinion of the show in general or the last two episodes. They literally expect insane plot development and twists at every turn (maybe this is a testament to the show/writers that viewers have gotten greedy). My IT buddy was hoping for so much more from the last couple episodes and I had to ask him where he honestly thought there could be room for more plot development. Everything has culminated to this point; everyone is either in Winterfell or Kings Landing. Just ride it out, the next 4 episodes are gonna be nutty.
Yup. A lot of people just want big fights and don't really care about the actual story.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Yup. A lot of people just want big fights and don't really care about the actual story.

In my friends defense, he doesn't really care much for the battles but wanted more plot development the last two episodes. I just don't really know how much room there is for anything else. He was talking about having done something in Dorne, or Braavos, or...but the story has left all those places and all players and plot are only in two places. I'm not worried because I know shit is about to hit the fan.

Reactions: Foppberg

Avs44

May 16, 2011
In my friends defense, he doesn't really care much for the battles but wanted more plot development the last two episodes. I just don't really know how much room there is for anything else. He was talking about having done something in Dorne, or Braavos, or...but the story has left all those places and all players and plot are only in two places. I'm not worried because I know **** is about to hit the fan.

Friend a book reader, by chance? If so, I get the disappointment. The books have a lot more plot lines that the show has never really touched on and never will be. And since the books will probably never get finished...there's a lot of book readers who will just be left hanging with a lot of stories just completely dead with no ending whatsoever. Obviously unfair to put that disappointment on the show, they can only cover so much.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Season 7 was too fast, Season 8 is too slow. People just can't make up their mind with what they want lol.

I liked the first episode, it felt like the story was coming full circle.

Episode 2 was just a fun episode, some good laughs but also had that tension knowing that the WhiteWalkers were about to show up at any moment. The build up for this moment is finally about to happen, and I can not wait to see just how epic this battle will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad