OT: The Avalounge's Official Game of Thrones Thread WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
And Daario would've gotten flambe'd the moment he did so.

FWIW my favorite character/story arc remains Stannis Baratheon AINEC. That truly felt epic and tragic and downright Shakespearean in its execution. In particular it felt like Macbeth--a man so obsessed with destiny/fate that it proves to be his very undoing. That subplot really drove home the whole underlying theme that there really weren't any heroes or villains in this story.

I was indifferent towards Stannis for the most part until the final scene with Shireen. That was right up there among the most brutal scenes when you hear her screaming as she's being burned alive. He had to go after that and it should've been more painful than the way he went out.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was indifferent towards Stannis for the most part until the final scene with Shireen. That was right up there among the most brutal scenes when you hear her screaming as she's being burned alive. He had to go after that and it should've been more painful than the way he went out.

Oh I dunno, that was pretty painful and humiliating. His army and Melisandre abandon, so he knows now he sacrificed his only child for absolutely nothing, his wife hangs herself, and he's left fighting with a paltry little band that he knows is going to be massacred. He's left basically gutted (literally) in the middle of the woods when Brienne shows up to serve justice. He gets a small measure of peace by confessing but not much. I don't think physical pain really affects a guy like that--they could've flayed him and he would've stood resolute. But in the end he lost his family, his army, his most trusted advisor and friend, and lastly, his ridiculous pride. I'd say his faith was shaken but he never quite struck me as a True Believer in the Lord of Light. That was just a means to an end, he saw himself as a god or at the very least a king appointed by divine right. Well...until the end of course when he finally had to admit he was a pretty rotten king, father, husband, commander, and human being.

Reactions: Avs_19

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I hope the prequel is Tormund and that giant.

Supposedly it’s going to be about the age of heroes and the children of the forest. I think it also includes Bran the Builder putting up the wall. I’d love to see a lot more info on the Night King personally. And maybe some Benjen

They’ve already casted some people for the prequel so it’s definitely going in 2020. If they don’t get it going soon HBO is going to bleed money.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Nah, HBO will be fine. They’ve got Westworld coming, they’ll promote the hell out of the new GoT spinoff, and there’s other GoT projects being developed.

They have some misses, but their hits are HITS, and they always seem to find them (The Sopranos, The Wire, GoT, Westworld, Veep, Silicon Valley, etc)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Supposedly it’s going to be about the age of heroes and the children of the forest. I think it also includes Bran the Builder putting up the wall. I’d love to see a lot more info on the Night King personally. And maybe some Benjen

They’ve already casted some people for the prequel so it’s definitely going in 2020. If they don’t get it going soon HBO is going to bleed money.
There's going to be one on the WW backstory too IIRC.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
The more I think about the ending the more I like it.

Bran is a perfect king. If he actually uses his power then he can rule with authority and grace.
Sansa belongs in the North.
Arya belongs doing her own thing. Not a lady, not a queen.
Dany deserved to die, she thought what she did was good. She was out of it.
Jon killing her was perfect. It was his only path to survival and he had to be the one to end it.
The wheel stops with Bran not being able to have kids and Jon, the last of the heirs, declining the throne.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Book Bran was so, so much better than TV show Bran. His internal dialog in figuring out how Three-Eyed Raven stuff and his journey beyond the wall are some of the better pov parts in the books.

The TV show version just makes so little sense. Are you telling me that Bran, who could see different versions of the future, didn't say anything about Dany going down and burning kings landing? I kind of like the theory of Dark Bran now. The same kid who told us that he couldn't hold any titles or lands over and over again because he is the Three-Eyed Raven manages to push people to the only ending where he is King? Come on. Just so many leaps of logic to get to that point.

I'm really curious to see how GRRM takes us to this ending. That is if he ever finishes the Winds of Winter to begin with.

I think one of the problems was that Bran was still in the cave in the books so everything that has happened since is a show creation. I'm sure they were helped by GRRM with the main Bran plot but they likely handled the rest on their own. The extent of his abilities were never really explored in detail and towards the end all we got were these one-liners from him as he sat there with a blank stare. We don't know what he was up to, what he can do, or what he knows. I'm not sure if they ran out of time, didn't know how to tell his story, didn't want to get too deep into the fantasy/magic elements, or a combination of all those things but they botched it. Hopefully GRRM finishes the series and makes this ending more understandable and acceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thepoolmaster

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
I'm not asking for that. I'm just asking for Cersi not to die from Crumble. It was boring. Game of Thrones gave us mostly happy endings.

In general it was a happy ending. Jon meets up with old friends, he belongs in the North. Sansa gets her crown, Bran and rightfully so is the king to restore peace. The mad Queen dies after killing an untold amount of people.

I personally like the ending. I just wish we had more than 2 episodes of the Mad Queen. I really wish George got his way and had 10+ seasons or bare minimum 10 seasons. One of the only shows that should've kept going.

Can't wait to see how these writers mess up Star Wars.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I assume "Confederate" is dead in the water after the very negative backlash the premise received when it was announced.

I really don't care what they do with Star Wars. Apart from the original trilogy and "Solo," I really haven't cared much for Star Wars. I couldn't ever get into all the different animated shows either.

Hopefully The Mandalorian is good.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
giphy.gif

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
the margins on TV shows must be absolutely rediculous. Trying to watch every upcoming series on Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, etc. is impossible.

How there can be 150 news channels, 20 different avenues for watching tv content, and a bazillion series with 100 actors on each one of them is just staggering.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
the margins on TV shows must be absolutely rediculous. Trying to watch every upcoming series on Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, etc. is impossible.

How there can be 150 news channels, 20 different avenues for watching tv content, and a bazillion series with 100 actors on each one of them is just staggering.

In 2018. the film industry was worth 138 billion, a bit of money tied up in it

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The New York Post's "Page Six" column said Harington was hard hit by the ending of the show and was being treated for stress, exhaustion and alcohol use.

Never liked Jon Snow, and now I like the actor even less. What a pu**y.

Reactions: UncleRisto

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Nah, HBO will be fine. They’ve got Westworld coming, they’ll promote the hell out of the new GoT spinoff, and there’s other GoT projects being developed.

They have some misses, but their hits are HITS, and they always seem to find them (The Sopranos, The Wire, GoT, Westworld, Veep, Silicon Valley, etc)
Season one of True Detective was a masterpiece.

Reactions: Avs_19 and madman

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

The Chernobyl miniseries has been real good. I just got an HBO trial. Gonna start The Handmaid's Tale probably and see how it goes. Started Veep too.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Veep is hilarious. My second favourite comedy behind Curb right now.

I’m on season 3 or 4 of Curb. Sopranos and GOT may be the best drama writing ever. But I think Curb takes the cake on writing for comedies. I don’t think any comedy has left me laughing harder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad