OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
As someone who appreciates Scotch on a novice level, Laphroaig has a very heavy peat flavor. Not my personal go to hahaha.
I kind of like it because it’s so different. I decided I’m going to build up a little scotch collection and have no idea how to go about it other than going down to the ABC store and starting to buy bottles. I think I read about Laphroaig on here, lol.

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
As someone who appreciates Scotch on a novice level, Laphroaig has a very heavy peat flavor. Not my personal go to hahaha.
Got any recommendations? I’ve bought Oban 14 and Laphroaig 10 recently. I like them both but the Oban 14 better. I always used to order Macallan at the bar when I was trying to be cool and I’ve had Glenfidditch 12(?) a couple of times which was ok but I like the Macallan better. Other than that I’m a total newb.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Seinfeld and Friends are both amazing. They’re hilarious and that’s all that matters to me. When people try to argue with me about the storylines or the types of relationships or anything like that to talk down about the show it proves to me that they’ve already done more overthinking of the show than I ever have and I’ve watched every episode of both shows a minimum of 30-40 times.

If you want to watch a show for a storyline, go watch something else. The beauty of Seinfeld and Friends is that you can randomly tune in to any episode at any time and enjoy a hilarious half an hour of emotionless comedy without having to think too hard or invest all your time into it.

@UncleRisto I think you need to give Breaking Bad a shot. I’m the last person to tell someone to watch a series. I try to watch popular ones time after time after time and fail. GOT, Stranger Things, Walking Dead and Ozark are all shows I failed to enjoy. People said I just had to give it time and they were wrong. I went 3 or 4 episodes deep into season 2 of Stranger Things and still hated it. 5 seasons of GOT and still waiting for it to “get good” (I know
I know it got good a long time ago supposedly but just not for me).

Breaking Bad is different though. It’s simply great. There’s no stupid zombies or dragons or anything unrealistic. It’s a terrific storyline that legit could happen (you really feel like it is happening once you get through the awful first 1.5 seasons). Terrific acting. It really is the GOAT imo. I really believe you’ll love it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm with @Cousin Eddie with GOT... just never liked it. Tried one season it sucked... gave into peer pressure watched the first two, to make sure to give it a chance... still sucked.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I missed the boat on GoT. I tried reading the books ages ago, got halfway through the first one and was bored to death. So years later when the show became a thing I didn't bother with it, and by the time I had any interest all the fun bits were spoiled. Based on the reactions to the final season (and the fact that George R.R. Martin will definitely be dead before he finishes the books) I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I missed the boat on GoT. I tried reading the books ages ago, got halfway through the first one and was bored to death. So years later when the show became a thing I didn't bother with it, and by the time I had any interest all the fun bits were spoiled. Based on the reactions to the final season (and the fact that George R.R. Martin will definitely be dead before he finishes the books) I feel like I dodged a bullet.
It's an phenomenal series, outside of the last season. Which is f***ing dogshit.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really can't fathom how people can watch GOT and not love it, especially the first 3 seasons.
I don’t like anything that’s not in some way relatable. The acting was great. Lots of “OMG” moments and jaw dropping twists so I fully get why people love it. Seems like a really well written series. I just can’t get past the zombies and dragons and I know I never will.

I will never say GOT sucks. I just say that I really didn’t like it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don’t like anything that’s not in some way relatable. The acting was great. Lots of “OMG” moments and jaw dropping twists so I fully get why people love it. Seems like a really well written series. I just can’t get past the zombies and dragons and I know I never will.

I will never say GOT sucks. I just say that I really didn’t like it.
I get that. For example I tried The Walking Dead, hated it. Also never liked Star Wars, intergalactic/alien shit was never my interest. Even when I first started GOT I was like ehhh.. dunno about this. But I was proven wrong pretty quick.

Breaking Bad is amazing though, I'm surprised you don't like Ozarks if you like BB so much.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Fantasy and sci-fi are my bread and butter. Books, movies, and TV, I've always been fascinated with other worlds. The creative freedom that comes from the ability to invent your own reality is awesome and leads to so many wonderful and creative stories. Lots of derivative hacks write sci-fi and fantasy, don't get me wrong. But the good stuff is SO GOOD.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I didn't get into Breaking Bad for the first season. I thought it was a bit slow establishing the premise and characters. After that every season just got better and better and when it was over it was the perfect arc for Walter and his family. Usually it's hard to nail the ending for storytelling shows. Breaking Bad does, much like Sopranos did.

Game of Thrones is great, even though the last season is quite bad. So many baffling character changes there, which just undermines what they had created up to that point.

Once I get through Mr Robot (which just keeps getting better in season 3), I'll probably watch either The Outsider or dive into The Expanse.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I watched thirty minutes of a Games of Throne episode and nothing in those thirty minutes ever made any sort of interest or desire to actually waste my life to spend the time to watch it.

A lot of these sitcoms and HBO shows you lot are mentioning are just not very good. The last one that actually got me interested to watch it was Revenge and before that was Chuck. Revenge was at best a very average show and Chuck was for 3/4 an absolutely fantastic show until it was drawn out to try to milk it as much of it as possible.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I realized that Cosmos: Possible Worlds with Neil deGrasse Tyson is currently showing. I need to watch that as well. Both the original Cosmos with Carl Sagan and the one from five years ago with deGrasse Tyson were mindblowingly good.

Reactions: McMetal

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Got any recommendations? I’ve bought Oban 14 and Laphroaig 10 recently. I like them both but the Oban 14 better. I always used to order Macallan at the bar when I was trying to be cool and I’ve had Glenfidditch 12(?) a couple of times which was ok but I like the Macallan better. Other than that I’m a total newb.

They say Scotch is an acquired taste, while I’ve found Laphroaig to be a very acquired one haha. It’s alright, took some getting used to.

I usually stick to Glenmorangie 10 years, or Glenlivet 12 for budgetary reasons, thus I’m not much of an aficionado. My dad, his brothers, & I went in on a bottle of Glenlivet 18 a few years ago at family Christmas, which was my Godfather’s 1st Scotch experience. He liked so much he now brings a bottle to every family gathering haha. That’s pretty good slightly higher end stuff. I also like Glenmorangie’s Quintana Ruban (port barrel aged) 12 years, but it’s hard to find at our local liquor store (small town, meager selection, unlike their bourbon options).

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Fawlty Towers is a work of art on the level of Michaelangelo's David. Just masterful, it might be the single funniest thing ever made.

Learned of that show from this forum years ago. The Germans, ‘nuff said. Shame it only ran 2 seasons (or as they say across The Pond, series).

I also learned of IT Crowd from this board, which led me to Blackadder (seasons 2-4 are excellent), & Father Ted (Speed parody episode is great).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Learned of that show from this forum years ago. The Germans, ‘nuff said. Shame it only ran 2 seasons (or as they say across The Pond, series).

I also learned of IT Crowd from this board, which led me to Blackadder (seasons 2-4 are excellent), & Father Ted (Speed parody episode is great).
Oh yeah, all great stuff. Blackadder's first season is weird. I always recommend that everybody watched seasons 2-4 first, then when you're already invested in the show, go watch the first season. It does have some legitimately good moments, but the character is so unrecognizable that you have to be acquainted with the premise to appreciate it fully.

One other thing, if you like Fawlty Towers, would be the movie A Fish Called Wanda. Also written by and starring Cleese, and also hysterical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad