OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Didn't you do a lot of home upgrades in your past house? I hope it at least boosted your home's worth.

Yep. All the closets, laundry room, master bath, flooring and built in pantry. Sold it for a $35k profit, which was more than I spent in work. Usually home improvements you breakeven at sale, so not bad.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If you had to pick between the Stormlight Archives or the Gentleman Bastard Sequence, which one would you choose? I want to hop back into some fantasy books, but between work & school I really only have time to read for entertainment on the weekends.

Stormlight Archive - it's the only trilogy I own (and it's actually completed!).

Yeah for a supposedly amazing book, that has got to be one of the worst titles I've ever seen. Let me make a non-fiction book about the wonders of knitting and title it Miley Cyrus Mansion and become NYT bestseller? I am not a sci-fi book fan at all, like at all, but considering how many people recommend it, any sort of basic synopsis here? Also would you lot recommend it as an audiobook because that's what I do nowadays.

To be fair, it's the series name - which is still a horrible series name. The first book is called 'The Name of the Wind' which is a lot more fitting for a book title. I had a friend listen to the audiobook narrated by Nick Podehl, he thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't listen to audiobooks though so I can't say personally say.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Stormlight Archive - it's the only trilogy I own (and it's actually completed!).

To be fair, it's the series name - which is still a horrible series name. The first book is called 'The Name of the Wind' which is a lot more fitting for a book title. I had a friend listen to the audiobook narrated by Nick Podehl, he thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't listen to audiobooks though so I can't say personally say.

Stormlight is going to be like a 10 book series. The 4th book comes out later this year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yep. All the closets, laundry room, master bath, flooring and built in pantry. Sold it for a $35k profit, which was more than I spent in work. Usually home improvements you breakeven at sale, so not bad.
Solid mate!

Thanks for the info, I listened to the sample and it didn't sound too bad even though the bloke had a very Midwestern accent. Not that it was bad, but I am very used to British accent in audiobooks so it was...well....unique. What does the story consist of?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Solid mate!

Thanks for the info, I listened to the sample and it didn't sound too bad even though the bloke had a very Midwestern accent. Not that it was bad, but I am very used to British accent in audiobooks so it was...well....unique. What does the story consist of?
Ah yeah?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol...well the last four audiobooks I've listened to were Sherlock Holmes (currently) which is narrated by Simon Vance, Anna Karenina by David Horovitch, On the Edge by Richard Hammond, and the last Harry Potter book by Jim Dale so listening to a non-British voice was very different to say the least.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Lol...well the last four audiobooks I've listened to were Sherlock Holmes (currently) which is narrated by Simon Vance, Anna Karenina by David Horovitch, On the Edge by Richard Hammond, and the last Harry Potter book by Jim Dale so listening to a non-British voice was very different to say the least.
I'm not into audiobooks myself. I had a trial once and I listened to a book about low-grade inflammation and diet, which was sort of fine (and once in middle school I listened to The Unknown Soldier, cause I didn't wanna read it) but non-fiction, I'd definitely rather read it.

I wanna be extra smug reading my boring pretentious book that I got so only I'd know I'm better than everyone else.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not into audiobooks myself. I had a trial once and I listened to a book about low-grade inflammation and diet, which was sort of fine (and once in middle school I listened to The Unknown Soldier, cause I didn't wanna read it) but non-fiction, I'd definitely rather read it.

I wanna be extra smug reading my boring pretentious book that I got so only I'd know I'm better than everyone else.

Even more than normal?! ;)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Stormlight is going to be like a 10 book series. The 4th book comes out later this year.

Oh, yup you're definitely correct. I got mixed up with the Mistborn trilogy which is completed.

Solid mate!

Uhh, i'll be honest, I read it quite a few years ago so I won't be able to put together a great synopsis. It's not completely about the story though, it's the way the words are written. Ruthfuss' way with words is unparalleled - it's the best written story i've encountered. But as a very poor synposis, it follows the story of Kvothe, the protagonist journey from a child to present (book) time. It's a fantasy series so of course there's magic, but it's thoroughly explained and the 'science' behind the magic.

It may not sound that riveting based off my very poor synposis :laugh:, but if you liked any fantasy series (LOTR, GoT, etc.) I can almost guarantee you'll like this book. If you didn't like that narrator i've read people also enjoy Rupert Degas' version.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You have to strive for better, don't you understand?
giphy.gif

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah for a supposedly amazing book, that has got to be one of the worst titles I've ever seen. Let me make a non-fiction book about the wonders of knitting and title it Miley Cyrus Mansion and become NYT bestseller? I am not a sci-fi book fan at all, like at all, but considering how many people recommend it, any sort of basic synopsis here? Also would you lot recommend it as an audiobook because that's what I do nowadays.
It's framed as an autobiographical story being told by a "retired" adventurer. But the real appeal of it is the language and the writing. It has a lyrical feel to it, I've never read anything where the writing flows like that, it's absolutely brilliant.

The problem is, I have a feeling Rothfuss has no idea how to end the story. It's been nine years since book two, and aside from the title there's been no progress on actually finishing it. As much as I love it, I have a feeling that either it will never be released, or it will be very unsatisfying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad