OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sopranos, and GoT are the best. different genres though.

Right now I'm watching On my block and recently finished snowfall. If anyone likes BB they'll loveee snowfall.

Reactions: Murzu

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
No, that's bullshit.

E: Nah, I might get it later. Anyone have any other recommendations for games?
What type of games are you into? The Switch has a huge library already, plus Nintendo is slowly releasing classic NES and SNES games via their online subscription service.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What type of games are you into? The Switch has a huge library already, plus Nintendo is slowly releasing classic NES and SNES games via their online subscription service.
I have Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap and CTR Nitro Fueled. I think I'm getting Spyro. Really, I just want games that play well on this platform and don't require too much effort. So basically low-stakes games would be my jam with this console. Also, are there some little things I should know or get to get the most out of this?

Oh, and I wasn't a Nintendo kid, so Mario means nothing to me, which is an interesting dynamic.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh, and I wasn't a Nintendo kid, so Mario means nothing to me, which is an interesting dynamic.
Just because he's meaningless doesn't mean you should go out right and avoid him. If you want easy straightforward games, then Mario Odyssey is a must get, very easy game with good gameplay. One game I would avoid is Mario Kart, they added a 200cc version which is the cheapest and most frustrating aspects ever AF. Like last place gets blue shells on the last corner for the last lap when you're in first to cause you to finish 5th every effin' time. Animal Crossing is also a game that fits your category, but I am not sure you're the type of bloke for its gameplay. Because of that I recommend Luigi's Mansion.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I probably missed this discussion already, but whatever...

Who watched The Witcher netflix show? Am I crazy for not liking it very much? I had to do an hour+ of read online in order to even understand the who, what, when, where of the completely disconnected plot lines. I mean it has tits and a cool premise, but I hate shows that force you to have a large base understanding of the source material in order to even understand the first episode.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

Who watched The Witcher netflix show? Am I crazy for not liking it very much? I had to do an hour+ of read online in order to even understand the who, what, when, where of the completely disconnected plot lines. I mean it has tits and a cool premise, but I hate shows that force you to have a large base understanding of the source material in order to even understand the first episode.

Having never read the books, nor played the games I thought it was alright, but definitely confusing, as far as timeline jumping, & no dates given as it bounced around. But, the action is good, & the main chick is hot, so...:dunno:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Having never read the books, nor played the games I thought it was alright, but definitely confusing, as far as timeline jumping, & no dates given as it bounced around. But, the action is good, & the main chick is hot, so...:dunno:
I've made it 4 episodes in despite my complaints. It is not like I have anything better to do most evenings anyways. I'll probably slowly finish it watching an episode right before bed or something.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just because he's meaningless doesn't mean you should go out right and avoid him. If you want easy straightforward games, then Mario Odyssey is a must get, very easy game with good gameplay. One game I would avoid is Mario Kart, they added a 200cc version which is the cheapest and most frustrating aspects ever AF. Like last place gets blue shells on the last corner for the last lap when you're in first to cause you to finish 5th every effin' time. Animal Crossing is also a game that fits your category, but I am not sure you're the type of bloke for its gameplay. Because of that I recommend Luigi's Mansion.
Good read with Animal Crossing. I looked at it since it's popping, but I don't see it.

I'm actually a little worried that Nitro Fueled isn't nearly as good especially here, as the PS1 port on PS3, which I also have, but I wanted it anyway. Good to know that about Mario Kart, I'll consider the other ones.

I also just got Puzzle Bobble and Metal Slug 3, and I've been thinking about Super Monkey Ball, so I'm starting to see where this is going...

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I've made it 4 episodes in despite my complaints. It is not like I have anything better to do most evenings anyways. I'll probably slowly finish it watching an episode right before bed or something.

It’s very disjointed. I don’t try to sway anyone who’s seen it & didn’t like/understand it. I’ll give season 2 a go when it drops. Hopefully they tighten up the script &/or editing issues which made season 1 at times puzzling.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I have Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap and CTR Nitro Fueled. I think I'm getting Spyro. Really, I just want games that play well on this platform and don't require too much effort. So basically low-stakes games would be my jam with this console. Also, are there some little things I should know or get to get the most out of this?

Any and all first-party Nintendo games will play really well on the Switch. Any Mario games, the Zelda games, the eventual Metroid release and anything else all look and sound good both docked and in portable mode. The Switch is also home to a ton of indie titles, if you're interesting in those. Lots of 2D sidescrollers in that category, but there are some more experimental games and arcade-style games, if those types of things pique your interest.

Personally, I've been playing a ton of Animal Crossing these days, but I see it doesn't really sound like its up your alley. Are you interested in any RPGs? There are a lot of really good ports of RPGs on Switch, including Witcher 3, which is one of my favorite games ever made and I can't recommend it enough.

Reactions: UncleRisto

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I've read the books and played all the games... and I still had issues with the series. They tried to be too grand without the capability to pull it off.

On the Switch games... Breath the Wild is probably a top 10 game all time for me and easily up there for best of the generation (RDR 2 and Witcher 3 are the two I'd debate with it). Besides the Nintendo first party stuff, that is typically alwa solid... Golf Story, Undertale, Bayonetta 1&2, Cuphead, Octopath Traveller, South Park games, and Thumper are games I'd recommend. Don't discount Golf Story by the title, it is an absolute gem of a game.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I've read the books and played all the games... and I still had issues with the series. They tried to be too grand without the capability to pull it off.

On the Switch games... Breath the Wild is probably a top 10 game all time for me and easily up there for best of the generation (RDR 2 and Witcher 3 are the two I'd debate with it). Besides the Nintendo first party stuff, that is typically alwa solid... Golf Story, Undertale, Bayonetta 1&2, Cuphead, Octopath Traveller, South Park games, and Thumper are games I'd recommend. Don't discount Golf Story by the title, it is an absolute gem of a game.
Seconded on Golf Story. Much better game than the title would make it seem, and there's enough content there for the game to last about 2o hours. It's currently 50% off, and it's more than worth a $7.50 price tag.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
By the way, I figured out the business model here. I bought the thing today and I have about 15 games I either already got or want to get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad