OT: The Avalounge: Steamed Hams, despite the fact they are obviously grilled

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I never understood the hype around Seinfeld. I guess the point of the show is to be bland and mundane, but whatever it's trying to do it bored me to death, never made me chuckle even once.

TBBT on the other hand isn't terrible. I mean, it isn't Great Art or anything, but I don't understand the visceral hate it gets. It's deliberately mild and inoffensive at all times, and tries its very best to be as middle of the road as possible, but it has its moments, I guess. As far as character-driven comedy goes it isn't the worst or cheapest variety out there.

I tend to like older comedy more. The Pink Panther (Peter Sellers version), M*A*S*H*, The Marx Brothers, Mel Brooks. I like a few modern comedies but generally haven't liked much of what's happened in TV or movies for the last 20 years.

Reactions: Tweaky

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
You folks have a ton of hate for entertainment.

I was just about to criticize some of the hate thrown around here about shows I at least enjoyed the first time around, but then @McMetal had to go and say The Big Bang Theory isn't terrible. Objectively awful show.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I was just about to criticize some of the hate thrown around here about shows I at least enjoyed the first time around, but then @McMetal had to go and say The Big Bang Theory isn't terrible. Objectively awful show.
All I'm saying is that it could be worse. Two Broke Girls comes to mind. Or George Lopez's "sitcom".

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Speaking of sitcoms... I just thought of this the other day but ever since I finished HIMYM a few years ago I don’t think I’ve gone back(or had the desire) to rewatch any episodes and neither has anyone I know. Is that a show people rewatch at all?

the only sitcoms off the top of my head that I enjoy rewatching are Parks and Rec, The Office, King of Queens, and Two and a Half Men(#winning only). I rewatch Parks and Rec a little too much. When Netflix only had the first two seasons (circa 2009) I probably watched those two seasons four times

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Seinfeld was fantastic. Come on, the situations were hilarious. Situational comedy. A show like Friends is all about character reactions, not my cup of tea. The Office and Arrested Development were also excellent.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Fawlty Towers is the best sitcom. Malcolm in the Middle is the most underrated and underappreciated sitcom. The Big Bang Theory is the worst sitcom.

Everything else falls somewhere in between these.
Fawlty Towers is a work of art on the level of Michaelangelo's David. Just masterful, it might be the single funniest thing ever made.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm sorry, I don't listen to music with something called a "hook" in it.
Possibly the most ignorant dumbass thing you've said. The song you posted has several.

Oh yeah yeah yeah, why would you have say a chorus in rock music, that's crazy. You're not supposed to recall the song later.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrickNHL

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I don't think he understands what a hook (in music) really is. He probably thinks it is just crap like "Ice, Ice Baby" (thanks Vanilla). Which it includes, but is not limited to that.

For those that don't know, it is the tidbit of a song that gets stuck in your head. Often the chorus, but not always. Some of the best (or worst) are “Naaa nah nah na-na-na-nah, na-na-na-nah, Hey Jude” or “Hey! Ho! Let’s Go! Hey! Ho! Let’s Go!”

And it is not just lyrics or vocals. The hook can be instrumental or rhythmic as well. What do you remember from "Smoke on the Water"? Or "We Will Rock You"? Even "classical" music has them. Beethoven's 5th, Pachelbel's "Canon in D," Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik." Or one of my favorites, "Ride of the Valkyries."

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
"hook" seems to be one of these terms which just appeared out of the ether one day and had everyone accepting it and using it as normal, as if nothing else had ever existed before it. Same thing with "middle 8", as if the concept of a bridge didn't sound technical or sophisticated enough.

If you want musical recommendations, I go and see bands I like and listen to the bands supporting them if I don't know them. That's about it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I finally read all the articles. OMG, molasses tsunami!
I know!! Just insane, I love little trivia like that about strange things that have happened. If you put that in a novel set in that time period, people would call it "wildly unrealistic".

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Just picked up some Laphrouig (sp?) 10 scotch. It’s like drinking an old baseball glove that has been roasted over a fire. I like it though.

@xpatriatedtexan or who else gets into this stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad