News Article: The Athletic: Shanahan blocked Dubas from completing trades that "could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs"

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why though? McCann is not good... Kerfoot outproduces him in the playoffs and is actually good defensively.

This was my argument of why I thought it was just who did the move and not the actual player.
So? Marner outproduced Tkachuk in the playoffs before this year. What if I used the same logic against you to say Tkachuk > Marner in the playoffs last offseason? You'd have lost your damn mind with me claiming that.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Man you really are losing it without Dubas here :laugh:

Explain how McCann is a good add.

So? Marner outproduced Tkachuk in the playoffs before this year. What if I used the same logic against you to say Tkachuk > Marner in the playoffs last offseason? You'd have lost your damn mind with me claiming that.

So you want to keep all our players even though they don't produce enough?

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
What trades were blocked?

DUBAS actually did pretty good in the TDL and got some good key pieces without giving up too much.

DUBAS downfall IMO was his contract negotiations, he didn't do too bad when it came to trades especially this lastest TDL.

Maybe DUBAS was REALLY trying to swing for the fences and was going to go all out and trade away our farm.

In hindsight seeing how this team performed AGAIN with no back bone... It wouldn't really matter IMO. This team is butter soft and not built for playoffs. Aside from Schenn, Accarai, O'Reilly, McCabe, Reilly..... There was no push back physically...

This team played like they liked to win but didn't play like they hated to lose. Plain and simple.

DUBAS wanted to come back with more money and more power without any real results prior to that would be setting a bad example throughout the whole franchise and one that was already planted early on with the free big money contracts given out without them even proving they earned or deserved it.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Explain how McCann is a good add.

So you want to keep all our players even though they don't produce enough?
Not saying that all, don't know how you got that.

What I'm saying is that there's a lot more to the story than just the numbers suggest. Watching Tkachuk in the playoffs with Calgary was puzzling to a degree, but when you consider that little Johnny G over there is an even smaller version of Marner, you can understand why Tkachuk didn't have the best go in the playoffs. So many people claimed Tkachuk's numbers were inflated by Johnny when it turned out to be the other way around.

McCann has 2 things over Kerfoot - he has a lethal shot he can score with out of nowhere and he's not completely undersized and loses to every guy in the corner by default (although he's not a strong guy by any stretch). Those 2 things alone have me wanting McCann for a playoff run instead of Kerfoot.

What trades were blocked?

DUBAS actually did pretty good in the TDL and got some good key pieces without giving up too much.

DUBAS downfall IMO was his contract negotiations, he didn't do too bad when it came to trades especially this lastest TDL.

Maybe DUBAS was REALLY trying to swing for the fences and was going to go all out and trade away our farm.

In hindsight seeing how this team performed AGAIN with no back bone... It wouldn't really matter IMO. This team is butter soft and not built for playoffs. Aside from Schenn, Accarai, O'Reilly, McCabe, Reilly..... There was no push back physically...

This team played like they liked to win but didn't play like they hated to lose. Plain and simple.

DUBAS wanted to come back with more money and more power without any real results prior to that would be setting a bad example throughout the whole franchise and one that was already planted early on with the free big money contracts given out without them even proving they earned or deserved it.
Dubas' prized acquisition ROR had an extremely crappy series against Florida, wasn't an impact player at all. Looked slow and ineffective 80% of the time. Maybe Dubas not making anymore trades was a good thing.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
Well, over time Dubas was proven right on the McCann deal and leaving him unprotected.

40 goals in the regular season does nothing for us.

You can’t honestly have just written that with a straight face. One of the worst takes I’ve seen online. You don’t think 40 goals at 5 million cap hit would be helpful?

At this point you’re just trolling.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Shanny made 2 bad decisions.
Dubas vs Hunter....he got it wrong
Dubas vs Lou....he got it wrong

Dubas made one bad decision...
Dubas vs Shanny....he got it wrong

All the rest is now only footnotes.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Unless Shanahan blocked trades that were Kerfoot and Holl then I doubt Shanahan blocked any trades that made us better to advance further in the playoffs. Aren't gonna advance if the core 4 forwards combine for what? 1 goal or 2 in a series. At the same time though Mirtle is like the main guy at The Athletic so I'm not gonna use them much as a source now when it comes to anything Dubas related because I doubt they really know anything Shanahan plans to do and are probably very biased against Shanahan for their golden boy.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Mirtle didn’t just show 5 years ago, he was a good Leaf’s writer well before that. He was relatively early in analytics, so if you are telling me he was a fan of Dubas I don’t doubt it.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Not saying that all, don't know how you got that.

What I'm saying is that there's a lot more to the story than just the numbers suggest. Watching Tkachuk in the playoffs with Calgary was puzzling to a degree, but when you consider that little Johnny G over there is an even smaller version of Marner, you can understand why Tkachuk didn't have the best go in the playoffs. So many people claimed Tkachuk's numbers were inflated by Johnny when it turned out to be the other way around.

McCann has 2 things over Kerfoot - he has a lethal shot he can score with out of nowhere and he's not completely undersized and loses to every guy in the corner by default (although he's not a strong guy by any stretch). Those 2 things alone have me wanting McCann for a playoff run instead of Kerfoot.

Dubas' prized acquisition ROR had an extremely crappy series against Florida, wasn't an impact player at all. Looked slow and ineffective 80% of the time. Maybe Dubas not making anymore trades was a good thing.
You won’t talk any sense into that poster. Just a kid who is really bias and doesn’t have much common sense. Like a lot of the Dubas jock junkies that disappeared from here.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Exactly! Don't write stuff like that without giving examples...

Tell us wich trades, and then I'll decide if those trades "could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs".

Talk about teasing.
Not 'teasing' - 'clickbaiting'.

Wow - brilliant. Some things that didn't happen might have resulted in something different.

Nostradamus wishes he could have gotten away with being that vague.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Shanny made 2 bad decisions.
Dubas vs Hunter....he got it wrong
Dubas vs Lou....he got it wrong

Dubas made one bad decision...
Dubas vs Shanny....he got it wrong

All the rest is now only footnotes.
hell no...
Dubas over Hunter every day
Lou was and is. disaster... I'd take Hunter over Lou, and Hunter kinda sucked.
worse thing Dubas did was not fire Keefe and i'd have fired him for not firing Keefe

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
The wording of the article is quite loaded as well, it could just as easily said "Could have hurt the Leafs future"

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
hell no...
Dubas over Hunter every day
Lou was and is. disaster... I'd take Hunter over Lou, and Hunter kinda sucked.
worse thing Dubas did was not fire Keefe and i'd have fired him for not firing Keefe
At some point we have to pan out, take a 30,000 foot view of things, and gauge whether or not our takes really...make sense.

Lou took a bad team and created a dynasty winning three cups. Then took Maple Leafs into stardom - a seemingly impossible task - with the most successful rebuild in modern history. Very recently he took another bad team to the ECF two years in a row winning back to back GMOTY awards. He's in the hall of fame now.

He's getting up there in age, but will be remembered as one of the best GMs in history.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
"Could have improved the leafs ability to advance in the playoffs. Most definitely would've destroyed the teams chance at making the playoffs in the future"

do you think that is true?

do you have any form of "smell test"?
It's a fake account

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A 5th round pick. At least try to make it a little more believable.
In fairness, this was just prior to the start of his breakthrough! :sarcasm:

*That kind of trade return would still have been waaaay out there!

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
yeah for some reason people wanted us to draft more Korshkovs and fridges and less Ahos and Hintz
Don't remember the Leafs drafting either of these guys, who are the Dubas drafted equivalent to them? Using your logic, for some reason people want us to draft more Tyler Bensons and Jeremy Bracos than Tage Thompsons and Adrian Kempes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad