News Article: The Athletic: Shanahan blocked Dubas from completing trades that "could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs"

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Here is the part about that in Mirtle's piece, citing "multiple sources close to the team".

Am I the only one wondering why we don't get to know WHICH TRADES???

As reported previously in the aftermath of the Leafs elimination, Shanahan and Dubas had been at odds for a while. On Friday, more details emerged on that front. Multiple sources close to the team said that Shanahan had blocked transactions that Dubas wanted to make at key points in the past several seasons, creating frustration in parts of the management group. Shanahan had also at times dictated certain moves he wanted made that Dubas didn’t agree with.

The president, as per his place in the hierarchy, typically won out in those battles. And, in some cases, the moves that weren’t made could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs.

Source: Mirtle: With Kyle Dubas gone, prepare for more Maple Leafs front-office fallout

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
If Shanahan was “blocking” to the detriment of the team, how did Toronto manage to get Mrazek and Murray on the team?

What is more likely is the leadership team may not reach a consensus on all transactions. The members of the leadership team have points of view that need to be reconciled. That’s part of working in a collaborative team environment.
This is a natural occurrence in any organization.

Sounds like Mirtle and Dubas are trying to manufacture controversy.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Exactly! Don't write stuff like that without giving examples...

Tell us wich trades, and then I'll decide if those trades "could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs".

Talk about teasing.

Can't meld this thread with the other Dubas threads?

Getting silly now.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
And, in some cases, the moves that weren’t made could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs.

Is this describing the moves that Dubas wanted to make that were blocked by Shanahan and/or the moves dictated by Shanahan that Dubas didn't agree with?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
And, in some cases, the moves that weren’t made could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs.

Is this describing the moves that Dubas wanted to make that were blocked by Shanahan and/or the moves dictated by Shanahan that Dubas didn't agree with?
I read it as Shanahan blocked Dubas from making the moves he wanted.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Said this in the other thread but there's only one trade that could have happened that would have been guaranteed to make us better

And if Shanny blocked us shipping Holl out of town then he should be on the first bus out of town.

I assume this is about the Knies trade that he apparently blocked last year. Which was a stupid f***ing trade

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Said this in the other thread but there's only one trade that could have happened that would have been guaranteed to make us better

And if Shanny blocked us shipping Holl out of town then he should be on the first bus out of town.

I assume this is about the Knies trade that he apparently blocked last year. Which was a stupid f***ing trade

There's a legit video of Dubas making the trade and asking Shanny if he should push the envelope in it

So he wasn't really pining for him
What is this rumored trade Shanny blocked?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Well. There it is in black and white. 🤣

I love how Mirtle writes "in some cases".

Like in other cases it would've royally f***ed us over, but forget about that. In other cases, we may have squeaked by Columbus or Montreal.

Mirtle's one of the absolute worst.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I read it as Shanahan blocked Dubas from making the moves he wanted.
Fair enough. It does make me wonder then if the same could be said for the moves that Shanahan wanted/dictated? Could the moves not agreed to by Dubas have also helped the team?

It's all food for thought that we just can't expand upon without the necessary details that we aren't likely to receive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad