News Article: The Athletic: Shanahan blocked Dubas from completing trades that "could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs"

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The rumoured Chicago deal.

Offered or asked?

But the more important point is whether it was blocked or not?

If it was blocked, it wasn't because Knies was seen as some blue-chip can't miss prospect. He was a 2nd. round pick that looked good, but nothing earth shattering. He has looked good, in a handful of games. He isn't Shanahan reincarnate, how many Shanahans exist today?

However, if it was blocked (and I don't know either way) then we're getting to the crux of the situation and that is whether the open position is GM or AGM?

Treliving would probably be willing to work as a limited GM.

I'm sure they can land someone in that category, but someone of Lamoriello's category is going to ask permission from Shanahan to make a trade?

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

horner

May 22, 2007
hell no...
Dubas over Hunter every day
Lou was and is. disaster... I'd take Hunter over Lou, and Hunter kinda sucked.
worse thing Dubas did was not fire Keefe and i'd have fired him for not firing Keefe
Ian Scott of not for injuries would be right there with Woll as an NHL goaltender both drafted by Hunter.
I thought Scott was better than Woll before he got injured.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ian Scott of not for injuries would be right there with Woll as an NHL goaltender both drafted by Hunter.
Hunter isn't a bad option, sniffing out good tenders is actually the most key thing to creating long term playoff success. It's actually above sniffing out #1Cs but you can't tell people here that sort of thing.

Reactions: horner

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You night not like the evidence but it is evidence contrary to your statement.
I already said that I won't die on this hill but the speculation is fair. You seemed slightly impaired in your open mindedness on the matter
It's not evidence though. They don't even say what you're claiming in the article, and the only source they have in the entire thing is an old tweet from a year ago that doesn't even mention Shanahan. I'm very open minded. I haven't ruled out completely that it happened, and I'd love to see evidence if it exists, but a clickbait title from a blog site that provides zero evidence is not evidence, and this rumour was created from nothing.

People are running around claiming that Shanahan blocked Dubas from trading Knies when there is literally zero evidence of that being true, and a lot of information that would suggest that it's not. If there's actual evidence that comes out and proves it, go nuts, but we don't need people trying to justify the spread of what is undeniably misinformation based on currently known facts, especially when there's so much chaos and half truths flying around already, even from actual sources themselves.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
These types of articles and journalism is just straight up pathetic. 100% hypothetical article to just generate clicks and views. Out of ALL the trades Dubas made, youre now trying to gaslight me into thinking the ones he DIDNT get to make were going to somehow bring us to the cup finals or some shit?

Get out of here.
It was likely that Dubas or a supporter put out the information that Shanny blocked trades that could make the team better. It is ironic now that the blowback is something Dubas critics are blamed for with "no evidence"

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It's not evidence though. They don't even say what you're claiming in the article, and the only source they have in the entire thing is an old tweet from a year ago that doesn't even mention Shanahan. I'm very open minded. I haven't ruled out completely that it happened, and I'd love to see evidence if it exists, but a clickbait title from a blog site that provides zero evidence is not evidence, and this rumour was created from nothing.

People are running around claiming that Shanahan blocked Dubas from trading Knies when there is literally zero evidence of that being true, and a lot of information that would suggest that it's not. If there's actual evidence that comes out and proves it, go nuts, but we don't need people trying to justify the spread of what is undeniably misinformation based on currently known facts, especially when there's so much chaos and half truths flying around already, even from actual sources themselves.
The only way you win this argument is with the redefinition of the English word-evidence.
Such a sad stance. You redefine evidence and others redefine soft or dissappeared.
Let's all just stick with the King's English and we can stop wasting time.

horner

May 22, 2007
Hunter isn't a bad option, sniffing out good tenders is actually the most key thing to creating long term playoff success. It's actually above sniffing out #1Cs but you can't tell people here that sort of thing.
Bottom 6 players
Joshua Dakota
Carl Grundstrom

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
We can see from the way Dubas negotiated his final contract that he was pathetically bad at contract negotiations. His own conduct should serve as evidence that he didn't have what it takes to be a good GM.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Still would have been missing those 2 top 6 wingers in the playoffs based on how McCann played this year. No better than Jarnkrok, Bunting, or Kerfoot.

Well actually only one because Knies looked better than all 4 in the top 6.
McCann suffered a concussion did he not? The 3 you mentioned did nothing of value in the playoffs for the Leafs, I would have "rolled the dice" on McCann playing in the top 6 for the Leafs over Jarnkrok, Bunting or Kerfoot.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

After speaking with a few staff members at MLSE about the apparent rift between Shanahan and Dubas, I was told that it began in the 2021 offseason. Dubas had a deal in place to send a 2021 5th (#153) to Buffalo for Tage Thompson, but it was nixed due to lack of draft capital.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008

After speaking with a few staff members at MLSE about the apparent rift between Shanahan and Dubas, I was told that it began in the 2021 offseason. Dubas had a deal in place to send a 2021 5th (#153) to Buffalo for Tage Thompson, but it was nixed due to lack of draft capital.
That tweet’s been debunked. It’s from a fake account.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
And outside of marner, liljegren and woll was only hit

From a guy who had 5 2nd pick
27 pick, a lot of soom 3rd pick...

3 hunter year 12 pick in top 75 resuming he hit 3 time in marner, liljegren and woll

1st 3 dubas season
He had 6 top 75 pick
Knies, robertson, niemela, Durzi,

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It was my understanding that the Leafs didn’t want to lose a forward (Kerfoot) while protecting Holl.
So they got McCann in a trade to only lose 1 of McCann or Kerfoot. Francis choose McCann.
As would anyone with at least half a brain.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
This just makes Dubas look worse, to be honest.

Shanahan provided a detailed timeline, and established clearly that he wanted Dubas back.

Dubas’ press conference was confusing at the time, as that stuff should be behind closed doors, not broadcast.

Based on Shanahan’s timeline that Dubas is making no effort to address or refute, the whole approach by Dubas and his management seems highly contrived.

I think Shanahan understood he was in damned if I do and damned if I don’t decision, and decided to go public to be clear that the reason why Dubas isn’t here is because Dubas moved the goalposts too far forward and in a very unprofessional way.

Now this weak sauce intimation of interference by Shanahan from Dubas media cronies, with no detail or explanation of Dubas’ side leaves Dubas looking bad.

I don’t care about Dubas or Shanahan, and I hate this situation we are in. It’s a dysfunctional and ugly look. Having said that, based on what I see and I’m hearing, this entire situation seems to be as a result of Dubas’ decisions last week, that Shanahan felt he could not accept and didn’t want to deal with anymore.

When someone goes off on their own and violates your trust, someone you count on deeply, there is going to be acrimony and significant fallout, which is where we are now.

I blame Dubas here, and I think this stunt has already blown up in his face with the reputational damage that comes with it. He got greedy and arrogant, and then started shit when the door slammed in his face.

Not a good look for a GM if I’m hiring…..

What a cluster @uck we are in now because of it.
Great post LS.

isn't that kind of article more of a Dave Feschuk thing? oh no wait, yes that's right Feschuk writes about the trades that cost dearly and produced zero results

This is sure different writing about trades that weren't made that could've won us the cup for sure, so sort of an all seeing all knowing kind of soothsayer type of thing

I remember when Dubes had that deal worked out with Edmonton, the one that Matthews wanted so badly Kerfoot + Holl for Draisatl and then Tavares to Anaheim for Zegras and picks, no wonder Matthews won't play here for less than 15.

Shanny what a noob
Pepperidge Farms Remembers.

isn't that kind of article more of a Dave Feschuk thing? oh no wait, yes that's right Feschuk writes about the trades that cost dearly and produced zero results

This is sure different writing about trades that weren't made that could've won us the cup for sure, so sort of an all seeing all knowing kind of soothsayer type of thing

I remember when Dubes had that deal worked out with Edmonton, the one that Matthews wanted so badly Kerfoot + Holl for Draisatl and then Tavares to Anaheim for Zegras and picks, no wonder Matthews won't play here for less than 15.

Shanny what a noob
Pepperidge Farms Remembers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad