News Article: The Athletic: Shanahan blocked Dubas from completing trades that "could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs"

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He isn't good in the playoffs. And no it isn't better than the top guys, he has 6 pts in 20 games.

Well, McCann is overpaid and disappears in the playoffs, you want him?
I mean I like how you moved the goalpost there....you said the only reason people hated the McCann situation is because Dubas did it and I said wrong. But for what its worth and from what I have seen of McCann, yes I would want him over Kerfoot or Holl.

Reactions: JKG33 and thewave

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I mean I like how you moved the goalpost there....you said the only reason people hated the McCann situation is because Dubas did it and I said wrong. But for what its worth and from what I have seen of McCann, yes I would want him over Kerfoot or Holl.

It was a generalization, but people have no clue about McCann and I believe that a large number of people just disliked it cause Dubas did it.

I thought trading virtually nothing to be sure you only lose one of McCann or Kerfoot was a great move.

But that deal gets hated on too somehow.

Reactions: Gallagbi

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He isn't good in the playoffs. And no it isn't better than the top guys, he has 6 pts in 20 games.

Well, McCann is overpaid and disappears in the playoffs, you want him?

The last part, do you honestly believe this? It's essentially impossible to have an honest conversation with you at this point. That was another Dubas blunder because he can not gauge talent. That's what happens when your GM doesn't know jack about the game from the ice level.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The last part, do you honestly believe this? It's essentially impossible to have an honest conversation with you at this point. That was another Dubas blunder because he can not gauge talent. That's what happens when your GM doesn't know jack about the game from the ice level.

You're proving my point.

You think the expansion draft was a bad move... he basically lost a 7th and Hallander in that draft, that is a good deal.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It was a generalization, but people have no clue about McCann and I believe that a large number of people just disliked it cause Dubas did it.

I thought trading virtually nothing to be sure you only lose one of McCann or Kerfoot was a great move.

Again, I disagree. When Dubas got McCann almost everyone I know loved it and loved the potential of McCann and the same people were not happy when he was left unprotected. Dubas is the one that left him unprotected so I guess people blamed Dubas but it would have been the same reaction no matter who made that call.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Again, I disagree. When Dubas got McCann almost everyone I know loved it and loved the potential of McCann and the same people were not happy when he was left unprotected. Dubas is the one that left him unprotected so I guess people blamed Dubas but it would have been the same reaction no matter who made that call.

Well, over time Dubas was proven right on the McCann deal and leaving him unprotected.

40 goals in the regular season does nothing for us.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I mean, he's just telling us what he heard, not pretending he was on the phone with Shanny shooting the breeze about blocking Kyle's trades. That's what these guys do. Then you get to judge for yourself.

Wouldn't think he would know the trade(s) being hypothetically spoken of. Too specific leads back to source, source wants anonymity.
Fair enough if its what he has heard but no names or deals that were nixed seems pretty suspicious to me and reeks of tabloidness. Maybe wait for some concrete proof instead of throwing crap at the wall and hoping something sticks. I mean he can do whatever he wants cause I dont care what he has to say but I aint taking anything he has to say seriously so if thats what he was going for then.....he has succeeded.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I take this article with a grain of salt.

Without knowing specifics, how is it even possible to ascertain that Dubas was blocked from making trades that could have helped us advance further in the playoffs?

What if he was blocked from making trades that could have resulted in an earlier playoff exit, or gutting the prospect pool completely?

A speculative article at best with a biased tone.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

It was a good move, even if it could have been better.

Dubas, Holl and Kerfot were all involved and all 3 are polarizing figures.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I was told by a current unnamed exec, and a soon-to-be former player that there were at least two trades nixed by Shanny.

One was Kerfoot, Niemela, 2 x 1sts and Knies for Hagel and MAF.

The other was Knies, 2 x 1sts and Holl for Tarasenko.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
I take this article with a grain of salt.

Without knowing specifics, how is it even possible to ascertain that Dubas was blocked from making trades that could have helped us advance further in the playoffs?

What if he was blocked from making trades that could have resulted in an earlier playoff exit, or gutting the prospect pool completely?

A speculative article at best with a biased tone.
100%. That lack of detail makes that article teeter on beauty salon gossip.

You make a good point that the trade could have been busts. That’s not a knock on Dubas. Happens to every GM. But article spoke as if team improvement was a foregone conclusion… which for me only discredits the article further.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
It was a good move, even if it could have been better.

Dubas, Holl and Kerfot were all involved and all 3 are polarizing figures.

Yeah, protecting Kerfoot and his 23 goals over the past two seasons and a defensemen that's close to useless was certainly better than keeping a player who has 67 over the past two seasons. And he's primarily a LW, a huge need for the team.

Fantastic move Dubious. :thumbu:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It was my understanding that the Leafs didn’t want to lose a forward (Kerfoot) while protecting Holl.
So they got McCann in a trade to only lose 1 of McCann or Kerfoot. Francis choose McCann.
Sounds good. Acquiring McCann was insurance for the Leafs in knowing that Seattle could only select one of either him or Kerfoot.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
This isn’t even reporting, it’s tabloid. The only purpose is to wind everyone up.
It’s like if I worked for Shanahan and said Dubas wanted access to the company jet because the core didn’t want to travel with the team. Enjoy.

PS: This is not true by the way for those that need an explanation.
Its true now you put it out there

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Tht Chicago GM leaked the trade dude so yes he was in the mix

I do believe the fluery free agency thing however

From what I have heard, Dubas never offered Knies. His name came up. Why wouldn't Chicago ask for Knies? Huge difference between asking and being offered.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sounds good. Acquiring McCann was insurance for the Leafs in knowing that Seattle could only select one of either him or Kerfoot.
This is correct.
But I think the general consensus from people at the time is they would rather keep McCann and expose Holl.
Whatever, that’s what happened.

Reactions: Jmo89 and Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad