News Article: The Athletic: Shanahan blocked Dubas from completing trades that "could have improved the Leafs’ ability to advance further in the playoffs"

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If the trade was:
To Toronto:
Hagel
Fleury

To Chicago:
Knies
Mrazek
1st round pick
1st round pick

.... then I say thank goodness Shanahan put the kibosh to it, and saved us from a dumb, short-sighted trade. It only validates that Dubas is fine for digging up projects like Timmins but made questionable trades.

God, it's been less than a week and I am already sick of hearing Dubas' name and seeing his face everywhere. Toronto made him more than he is, and anywhere else he's just a faceless executive.

I can't wait for him to find somewhere else and we can go on living without him. The media is becoming unbearable pushing this guy down our throats.

He's no Leaf Legend and his time here is a mixed bag. Stop acting like he's some generational executive talent, because he isn't and I have no doubt anywhere he lands, he will go back to being a faceless executive.

Honestly getting pissed off at the disruption he's caused here during a pivotal time in the season, after another season of delivering nothing.

He blew it here, and I have no care for what he does afterwards.
Here's generational if, like a lot of posters and Dubas fans here, you're 14.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Shanny making $7 M salary, how many of your guys making quarter million?
Crazy that Shanny makes $5M US per or $7M Canadian .. but then again Larry drops $25M Canadian dividend out of team too .. and then they boned Dubie at $900K Canadian .. sure he was a kid et all

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Are you kidding? We have been missing 2 top 6 wingers and he kept JUSTIN HOLL.

Proven right......my god.

You want someone who scores at a 25 point pace in the playoffs who does nothing else? I don't.

You can’t honestly have just written that with a straight face. One of the worst takes I’ve seen online. You don’t think 40 goals at 5 million cap hit would be helpful?

At this point you’re just trolling.

He doesn't perform in the playoffs, which is what we need.

40 goals in the regular season takes us from 2nd in the division to.... 2nd.

Reactions: seventieslord

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If the trade Shanny blocked was getting MAF and Hagel from Chicago for Knies and a 1st then all the power to Shanny. That was a great block. And not for anything that trade would have not made us beat TB that season.

If Mirtle is going to make statements as such, then he needs to back his claims as we are expected to on boards as such. Or else he is just like ourselves, someone just making guesses.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
If the trade Shanny blocked was getting MAF and Hagel from Chicago for Knies and a 1st then all the power to Shanny. That was a great block. And not for anything that trade would have not made us beat TB that season.

If Mirtle is going to make statements as such, then he needs to back his claims as we are expected to on boards as such. Or else he is just like ourselves, someone just making guesses.
MAF at the end of a great career & Doofus trying to trade away another 1st.
Glad Shanny blocked the trade.

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022

After speaking with a few staff members at MLSE about the apparent rift between Shanahan and Dubas, I was told that it began in the 2021 offseason. Dubas had a deal in place to send a 2021 5th (#153) to Buffalo for Tage Thompson, but it was nixed due to lack of draft capital.

I cannot believe Shanny and the board are losing sleep over 5th round picks. Mid round picks are not so difficult to acquire.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
In the 32 podcasts just out (32 Thoughts: The Podcast) , friedman shared his story about the leak (a pretty funny one) . Basically "both dubas and shanahan made it very clear that how stupid do you think we are, that either one of us considered the trade."

How stupid are those arguments on this thread that this is a actually a good trade.

Forecheck1

May 19, 2023
The rumoured Chicago deal.

Offered or asked?

But the more important point is whether it was blocked or not?

If it was blocked, it wasn't because Knies was seen as some blue-chip can't miss prospect. He was a 2nd. round pick that looked good, but nothing earth shattering. He has looked good, in a handful of games. He isn't Shanahan reincarnate, how many Shanahans exist today?

However, if it was blocked (and I don't know either way) then we're getting to the crux of the situation and that is whether the open position is GM or AGM?

Treliving would probably be willing to work as a limited GM.

I'm sure they can land someone in that category, but someone of Lamoriello's category is going to ask permission from Shanahan to make a trade?
Lamorello actually worked under the same structure - so this narrative is ridiculous - Just Dubas spinning a rebuttal to his current circumstance of being labeled of what he is ( a weasel )

Reactions: CincoHolio

Forecheck1

May 19, 2023
Dubasites doing everything they can to wish that fake tweet was real.
"Dubasites"- haha

After speaking with a few staff members at MLSE about the apparent rift between Shanahan and Dubas, I was told that it began in the 2021 offseason. Dubas had a deal in place to send a 2021 5th (#153) to Buffalo for Tage Thompson, but it was nixed due to lack of draft capital.
Do better !! Ridiculous

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dubas was Shanny's puppet from the beginning. May be he didn't realize that until now (he looked smarter tha he was). That was the reason for choosing him. Inexperienced guy. Easy to control. This fiasco is on Shanny. He wants to make decisions himself.
What I don't understand is how a power forward and character player like Shanny could have assembled such hartless and soulless team.
But again, I don't understand how people who watched Killer and Wendel play can watch this cuckold team.

In what way is any of this a surprise about Shanny? He was THE driving force to get clutch and grab out of the game and pushed it into the ref-controlled mess it is today. Go read what he said at and about the Shanahan Summit in later years, his main priority was to grow the game by letting young skilled players shine.

All the “Dubas wanted to reinvent the wheel” stuff has been just been fulfilling Shanny’s MO since 2005, he’s very outspoken about it.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
All the “Dubas wanted to reinvent the wheel” stuff has been just been fulfilling Shanny’s MO since 2005, he’s very outspoken about it.
So all the brilliant, fantastic moves that so many lauded as next gen thinking were actually all part of Shanny's failed vision now that Dubas is gone?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So all the brilliant, fantastic moves that so many lauded as next gen thinking were actually all part of Shanny's failed vision now that Dubas is gone?

He changed the league to favor young skill teams and hired a guy to build him one, what part of this is controversial for you? The trades are Dubas’, I just don’t get why people pretend that Shanny wanted a tough team and suffered through his subordinate doing the opposite. The style of game you guys hate so much was objectively shaped by Shanny over his last 15 years of work from the lockout, to DOPS, to NHL VP, to the Leafs pres.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I was told by a current unnamed exec, and a soon-to-be former player that there were at least two trades nixed by Shanny.

One was Kerfoot, Niemela, 2 x 1sts and Knies for Hagel and MAF.

The other was Knies, 2 x 1sts and Holl for Tarasenko.
I was told personally by a current unnamed exec, and a soon-to-be former player that this is untrue

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Dubas was Shanny's puppet from the beginning. May be he didn't realize that until now (he looked smarter tha he was). That was the reason for choosing him. Inexperienced guy. Easy to control. This fiasco is on Shanny. He wants to make decisions himself.
What I don't understand is how a power forward and character player like Shanny could have assembled such hartless and soulless team.
But again, I don't understand how people who watched Killer and Wendel play can watch this cuckold team.
It ain't easy, trust me. I grew up on Wendel and Gilmour. Either one of them have more heart than the current team has combined.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Crazy that this many people are Dubas fans and not Leafs fans.

It ain't easy, trust me. I grew up on Wendel and Gilmour. Either one of them have more heart than the current team has combined.

AINEC. That is the biggest problem with this team. The identity and lack of heart. They don't care enough, they're scared and they don't want to win bad enough. They're not willing to fight, get physical, get to the dirty areas, get involved in scrums, or stand up for their teammates. Imagine watching Bennett take out your rookie like that and not a single f***ing guy on the team does anything about it.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
As I said in the other thread

Dubas burned an asset to retain money on the RoR trade to keep Kerfoot

I don't think he's very handcuffed.

He'd probably have to ask permission on trades to the big 4 just like everyone in the league would

Dudes making excuses then running away from his problems. Just like the Murray deal that we're going to have to eat a first for if the reports are true that he's not going on ltir

Reactions: CincoHolio

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
As I said in the other thread

Dubas burned an asset to retain money on the RoR trade to keep Kerfoot

I don't think he's very handcuffed.

He'd probably have to ask permission on trades to the big 4 just like everyone in the league would

Dudes making excuses then running away from his problems. Just like the Murray deal that we're going to have to eat a first for if the reports are true that he's not going on ltir

I know everyone likes to dunk on Kerfoot but are you saying a 4th was more important to this team going into the playoffs than forward depth?

It's absurd that this is even getting talked about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad