News: The Athletic (paywall): "Who Says No" exercise with reader proposals and anonymous NHL execs

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JFC, lol. Argue with the two NHL guys who don't think Pesce is enough for Nylander.

Then argue with Bob Mackenzie, not me, who said the price for Nylander was Pesce plus a sweetener.

Well it'd be stupid for the Canes to do that, unless that sweetener was like a 3rd round pick, which should be enough considering Pesce would literally be on that top pair and not just by default, but because he's a f***ing good defenseman that is also young and will continue to grow to be a fantastic one.

Also, certain NHL Execs will value forwards over D based on what their team needs are, it's usually the case with these things, people that put in their opinion from a viewpoint of what their team needs and valuing a certain type over the other. Pesce is one of those guys that would be a HUGE add to the Leafs and not as a rental, you have potentially the perfect partner for Rielly when he's back in him, weird to see Bob thinking the Canes would need to add, Bob hasn't really been on his game much either so that's whatever.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Well, Bob Mackenzie said back when there were rumours that he pegged the cost as Pesce+ (he never specified what the plus was), and I thought that was fair assuming it was something around the value of a 2nd.

Dubas was said to of wanted Slavin instead, so I guess a D with the value somewhere between Pesce and Slavin would be the cost.

Nylander could still be moved, but not likely for awhile, and if he ends up at around a p/pg while being a C option his value will be higher.

To some, Pesce has closed the gap on Slavin. It was a clear step down before. Slavin gets deference because he's been the lead on a top pair before. I'm not sure Pesce couldn't be, if put in that position. I really like his game and that's with him carrying around Edmundson and Gardiner, who doesn't look like he's fully recovered from his injury.

The response in the article was not what I expected. I get the sense from listening to the Toronto insiders that the Leafs really like Nylander. It will take an overpayment for a team to trade for him. That exec seemed to evaluate it more on the basis of raw value. That's where my question comes from. You could replace Nylander and Toronto with Ehlers and Winnipeg, another team in need of a shutdown RHD, and the response could be the same. Am I overvaluing a defenseman or is that exec undervaluing Pesce?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Well it'd be stupid for the Canes to do that, unless that sweetener was like a 3rd round pick, which should be enough considering Pesce would literally be on that top pair.

Mkay.

I'm glad you have an opinion as an outsider, but having watched Nylander since he was in the AHL I think he's not anywhere near his potential. And trading him 1-for-1 for Pesce only makes sense if you ignore what he could become.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Mkay.

I'm glad you have an opinion as an outsider, but having watched Nylander since he was in the AHL I think he's not anywhere near his potential. And trading him 1-for-1 for Pesce only makes sense if you ignore what he could become.
Ah, it's going to be some CALCULATED P/60 up in here.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
It was somewhere in this thread (the recently locked one) but your threads are so damn large to go through:
Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

And one comment said he wouldn't trade Kapanen unless he got Dobson in return. I think that was on page 32 or 33. That's absurd.
That's a couple of teenage fans that dont understand hockey yet and you paint the whole fanbase like that.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
That's a couple of teenage fans that dont understand hockey yet and you paint the whole fanbase like that.

No I didn't, you made the leap, not me. I said that the Toronto-Rangers trade proposal would not be met well by Leaf fans and you certainly confirm that.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I can’t tell if I hate the Detroit/Colorado or the Columbus/Vegas trade more.

FWIW I would do the Pageau trade

I'm guessing you wouldn't be alone. That's a steal for Pageau. If the Sens do move him I actually think they'll be a pretty good bidding war for him. Would love him on the Isles, but I'm guessing the price will end up being too steep.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I'm guessing you wouldn't be alone. That's a steal for Pageau. If the Sens do move him I actually think they'll be a pretty good bidding war for him. Would love him on the Isles, but I'm guessing the price will end up being too steep.

Absolutely. Playoff performer, heart and soul guy that can do anything in your lineup. It’s gonna be quite an overpay IF he moves. He’s also going to get paid whenever his contract runs out

Reactions: LeapOnOver

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Really like this deal. Would make the deal larger to make room for Larsson add Ceci to this deal for Gagner (contract swap).

Johnsson, Andreas $3,400,000
Ceci, Cody $4,500,000
Bracco, Jeremy $842,500
$8,742,500

Larsson, Adam $4,166,666
Gagner, Sam $3,150,000
3rd 2021
$7,316,666

The whole purpose of trading Larsson is opening space for the young D the Oilers - not to take one on. Trading Larsson is probably a baaad idea this season. Maybe in the offseason.

I also prefer retention on AJ's contract. That's not a pretty contract for his production currently.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
1. Edmonton sends Darnell Nurse to Winnipeg for Nikolaj Ehlers - Edmonton says NO
2. Detroit sends Anthony Mantha to Montreal for a 2020 first-round pick and defenseman prospect Alexander Romanov - MTL says NO
3. Minnesota trades defenseman Matt Dumba and a 2021 fourth-round pick to Toronto for William Nylander - Fair IMO
4. Colorado trades Tyson Jost and a 2020 first-round pick to the New York Rangers for Chris Kreider - COL says NO
5. Edmonton sends Jesse Puljujarvi and a third-round pick to Ottawa for Jean-Gabriel Pageau - EDM says NO
6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick - TOR says NO
7. Minnesota sends Jason Zucker to Pittsburgh for Nick Bjugstad, a 2020 first-round pick and Casey DeSmith - Fair IMO
8. The New York Rangers trade Chris Kreider to Boston for Danton Heinen, a first-round pick and Jakub Zboril - BOS says NO
9. San Jose sends Martin Jones to Vegas for a sack of pucks - VGK says NO
10. New Jersey sends Sami Vatanen to Tampa Bay for Vancouver’s first-round pick (acquired in JT Miller deal) - VAN says NO
11. Detroit sends Dylan Larkin and Andreas Athanasiou to Colorado for Bowen Byram, Shane Bowers and a 2020 first-round pick - Neither team likes this
12. Toronto sends forward William Nylander to Carolina for Brett Pesce - Fair IMO
13. Vegas sends forward Alex Tuch, a first-round pick and a second-round pick to Columbus for Zach Werenski - COL says NO
14. Buffalo trades Casey Mittelstadt to San Jose for Tomas Hertl - SJ says NO
15. Vancouver sends Brock Boeser to Minnesota for defenseman Matt Dumba - VAN says NO
16. Edmonton sends defenseman Adam Larsson and a 2021 third-round pick to Toronto for Andreas Johnsson and Jeremy Bracco. - Fair IMO
:laugh: - too late.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
This "joke" was funnier when Montreal didn't have more centers/center prospects than they knew what to do with.

It would be even funnier if the other team in the proposal didn't have Flippula and Glendening playing top-9 center this season.

IT would be funny if any of those center prospects stood a chance at being a #1 center in the NHL :laugh:

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Why would Montreal trade a 1st round pick in a draft they are hosting and have a chance at Lafreniere?
According to the article they won't. Montreal says no on the Mantha trade, but it seems, primarily, because mystery exec says that Romanov was the best defenseman at the world juniors. Not an opinion I agree with, but I have an obvious bias.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I didn't realize Martin Jones was that bad where he would get turned down for a bag of pucks.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Really like this deal. Would make the deal larger to make room for Larsson add Ceci to this deal for Gagner (contract swap).

Johnsson, Andreas $3,400,000
Ceci, Cody $4,500,000
Bracco, Jeremy $842,500
$8,742,500

Larsson, Adam $4,166,666
Gagner, Sam $3,150,000
3rd 2021
$7,316,666

That isn't fair to Edmonton.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Not sure why they even had the exec there. Dude said no to all of them outside of one maybe. Thank god I didn’t have to sign up and all the other crap for that website just to see Noos
The Athletic is the best sports journalism out there. Absolutely fantastic value for the low subscription cost. But who needs quality journalism when we can go the HF Boards Trade Rumors site, eh?!

Reactions: Mach85 and Ainsy01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad