News: The Athletic (paywall): "Who Says No" exercise with reader proposals and anonymous NHL execs

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Not sure why they even had the exec there. Dude said no to all of them outside of one maybe. Thank god I didn’t have to sign up and all the other crap for that website just to see Noos

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Not one proposal from Anaheim or the Kings on there. And Garrioch is rumoring we are going to be the most active:laugh:

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
While asking those people to provide you with the content you refuse to pay for.
Got it.
People like this are leeches. If you don't want to pay for it, stay out of the thread instead of asking others to pay for it instead

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
The thing I hate about this is the use of anonymous executives.

I'm fine with the anonymity, but executives have a broad range of job titles.

You can be an NHL executive and still have little clue about the players on the team.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Do the execs provide any additional information on their response?

Would be curious how many feel that value is fair for both sides, but just know that X side likes player Y too much to move them etc.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Ottawa one is tempting.

I’m pleasantly surprised. I think Puljujarvi holds the value of a pick in the 40-50 range. So early/mid 2nd + 3rd for JGP seems fair.

I’d do it as an Oil fan. Love JGP’s game. I know the write up says the Sens would like to extend him and at some point they need to bring players back, but there’s an easy solution to that - make any JGP trade contingent on inclusion of a conditional 2021 1st (if JGP is extended by the team acquiring him). Guarantees the Sens get a crack at him July 1st.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Do the execs provide any additional information on their response?

Would be curious how many feel that value is fair for both sides, but just know that X side likes player Y too much to move them etc.
Yeah, there's a blurb for each, except for the Vatanen offer, because the exec sees it as reasonable. Here's one, for example: "I don’t think Columbus would do that. I would also say that if they got the right player they might move (Werenski). I don’t think Alex Tuch is the right player. I think they would want a top-two line center if they’re going to move Werenski, although that would have been more likely last summer, especially now that they’ve got Werenski in a (salary cap) number that is reasonable too. I think Columbus says no but they’d have to talk about it. I think Werenski has too much upside without getting a big need back."

Reactions: Fro

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick

On the Leaf's board some of them think Kapanen might fetch Parayko . . . wait until they see this.

Kapanen for Mayfield and a 2nd seems closer. Georgiev and a 2nd for Kapanen alone is closer in value to me.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
14. Buffalo trades Casey Mittelstadt to San Jose for Tomas Hertl

If Jason Botterill could pull off Mittelstadt for Hertl straight up, they would need to give him another award on top of GM of the year.

Maybe the beefalo fans will stop with the Hertl for Mittelstadt now. Said it was the easiest no

Wait, what Buffalo fans were suggesting that Mittelstadt for Hertl straight up was fair?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Don’t bother posting sections from the article. They’ll just be removed. They have it behind a paywall for a reason.

Also, you'll be removed from the thread if you continue to complain about said paywall.
Just for clarification as I’m not even participating in this thread beyond reading, but isn’t the rule here that portions of paywall articles can indeed be posted so long as they are not in the OP?

Reactions: BHD

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Loved this quote.

“Good rule of thumb for people making these proposals: If you’re throwing a 2021 fourth-round pick into the deal, it’s because you aren’t offering anywhere near enough, and you know it. That 2021 fourth isn’t going to change that.”

Had this quote in my clipboard to paste in here. Thought it was pretty insightful and you could just apply it to almost any trade proposal on HF.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Not sure why they even had the exec there. Dude said no to all of them outside of one maybe. Thank god I didn’t have to sign up and all the other crap for that website just to see Noos

too bad for you that you think yes/no is the valuable part. the joy is in the journey my friend, not the destination.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If Jason Botterill could pull off Mittelstadt for Hertl straight up, they would need to give him another award on top of GM of the year.

Wait, what Buffalo fans were suggesting that Mittelstadt for Hertl straight up was fair?

Hopefully none of them. Hertl is worth a LOT.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

No, Buffalo fans don’t think that is a remotely close to fair deal. Some have mentioned Hertl as a potential target but more in line with a package around Mitts, Montour and a 1st with some protection on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad