News: The Athletic (paywall): "Who Says No" exercise with reader proposals and anonymous NHL execs

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
16. Edmonton sends defenseman Adam Larsson and a 2021 third-round pick to Toronto for Andreas Johnsson and Jeremy Bracco.

Really like this deal. Would make the deal larger to make room for Larsson add Ceci to this deal for Gagner (contract swap).

Johnsson, Andreas $3,400,000
Ceci, Cody $4,500,000
Bracco, Jeremy $842,500
$8,742,500

Larsson, Adam $4,166,666
Gagner, Sam $3,150,000
3rd 2021
$7,316,666

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
"If you're adding a 4th round pick, you aren't offering enough and you know it."

Lol, but what HF trade proposal dosen't think a mid round pick makes their trash for treasure trade much, much better?

Reactions: Viqsi

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I would have liked to see the writer take a bunch of good proposals that were accepted by most fans instead of picking obvious garbage proposals. That would have given a more accurate feedback on how fans gauge value instead of confirming what everyone already agreed was garbage.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That would defeat the purpose of the paywall. They do offer a free trial.
Yeah I paid for their service, was not worth it for me and when I cancelled and didn't want spam emails, they continuously sent me emails and even apologized for it when I told them to stop, it didn't stop, it's now filtered straight to my junk mail.

So if I am missing out on some HFboards level of writing and trade proposals with responses by Execs, oh well.

SharksFan445

Jan 27, 2020
Yeah I paid for their service, was not worth it for me and when I cancelled and didn't want spam emails, they continuously sent me emails and even apologized for it when I told them to stop, it didn't stop, it's now filtered straight to my junk mail.

So if I am missing out on some HFboards level of writing and trade proposals with responses by Execs, oh well.
Exactly how I feel except they haven't gotten a cent out of me and never will. Extremely low-quality writers, who thrive on player/scenario specific stories.

Also, when the only representative for an NHL team for a Pay2Read website is Kevin Kurz, thats an absolute joke.

Reactions: Chompchompr

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Which RH TWDs or DFDs around the league are more valuable than Pesce, contracts included? Carlson is viewed as an offensive guy, but he does eat a ton of minutes. Jones for sure. I think Pesce and Parayko are closer than the gap in name value would indicate, but he's on this list. McAvoy belongs. Who else?

Trying to get a feel for who qualifies to return Nylander in the context of Toronto's needs from a pure value perspective.

But why?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Exactly how I feel except they haven't gotten a cent out of me and never will. Extremely low-quality writers, who thrive on player/scenario specific stories.

Also, when the only representative for an NHL team for a Pay2Read website is Kevin Kurz, thats an absolute joke.
We somehow got Rob Rossi as our Pens guy for The Athletic, enough said imo.

Reactions: BHD

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Curiosity. Trying to gain a better understanding of the league as a whole. I thought Pesce would have a greater profile with his playoff performance and increasing production (31 EVP over his last 82). A flex complimentary 1st pair/lead 2nd pair guy that is now contributing on both ends with one of the best contracts in the business should be on a similar value tier as Nylander, imo, but that wasn’t reflected here.

Toronto isn’t trading Nylander. Carolina isn’t trading Pesce. They’re both unavailable. This is not a rehash of the should either do it conversation.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Not a single person thinks this.

Not to mention that they go on to say that that is a big over pay from the leafs.

It was somewhere in this thread (the recently locked one) but your threads are so damn large to go through:
Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

And one comment said he wouldn't trade Kapanen unless he got Dobson in return. I think that was on page 32 or 33. That's absurd.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Curiosity. Trying to gain a better understanding of the league as a whole. I thought Pesce would have a greater profile with his playoff performance and increasing production (31 EVP over his last 82). A flex complimentary 1st pair/lead 2nd pair guy that is now contributing on both ends with one of the best contracts in the business should be on a similar value tier as Nylander, imo, but that wasn’t reflected here.

Toronto isn’t trading Nylander. Carolina isn’t trading Pesce. They’re both unavailable. This is not a rehash of the should either do it conversation.

Well, Bob Mackenzie said back when there were rumours that he pegged the cost as Pesce+ (he never specified what the plus was), and I thought that was fair assuming it was something around the value of a 2nd.

Dubas was said to of wanted Slavin instead, so I guess a D with the value somewhere between Pesce and Slavin would be the cost.

Nylander could still be moved, but not likely for awhile, and if he ends up at around a p/pg while being a C option his value will be higher.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Cotton

May 13, 2013
It was somewhere in this thread (the recently locked one) but your threads are so damn large to go through:
Trades and Free Agent Talk -- The calm before the storm?

And one comment said he wouldn't trade Kapanen unless he got Dobson in return. I think that was on page 32 or 33. That's absurd.

You could just link the thread.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well, Bob Mackenzie said back when there were rumours that he pegged the cost as Pesce+ (he never specified what the plus was), and I thought that was fair assuming it was something around the value of a 2nd.

Dubas was said to of wanted Slavin instead, so I guess a D with the value somewhere between Pesce and Slavin would be the cost.

Nylander could still be moved, but not likely for awhile, and if he ends up at around a p/pg while being a C option his value will be higher.
Well Pesce makes sense, isn't the biggest need Dubas identified on that defense being the need for a solid RD?

Pesce ticks that box. Not Slavin.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Well Pesce makes sense, isn't the biggest need Dubas identified on that defense being the need for a solid RD?

Pesce ticks that box. Not Slavin.

I liked the idea of Pesce myself, especially if he came with a sweetener. But I'm just repeating stuff Mackenzie was reporting from the time.

Our need is defensive RD, so Dubas traded for a LD in Muzzin. Nobody knows why.

Reactions: BHD

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick

On the Leaf's board some of them think Kapanen might fetch Parayko . . . wait until they see this.

Kapanen for Mayfield and a 2nd seems closer. Georgiev and a 2nd for Kapanen alone is closer in value to me.

you do realize that the executive basically
Goes on to say “Toronto says no”. Rangers have “no leverage”. “Georgiev won’t get a windfall. Medicore numbers. And 3 goalies erode leverage”

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I liked the idea of Pesce myself, especially if he came with a sweetener. But I'm just repeating stuff Mackenzie was reporting from the time.

Our need is defensive RD, so Dubas traded for a LD in Muzzin. Nobody knows why.
I think your valuation of Pesce might be off, a 25yr old locked into a fantastic contract that plays top minutes in all situations is something Toronto is desperately looking for that Carolina has. If I am the Canes GM and Dubas asks me to add a "sweetener" I laugh him off the phone.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I think your valuation of Pesce might be off, a 25yr old locked into a fantastic contract that plays top minutes in all situations is something Toronto is desperately looking for that Carolina has. If I am the Canes GM and Dubas asks me to add a "sweetener" I laugh him off the phone.

JFC, lol. Argue with the two NHL guys who don't think Pesce is enough for Nylander.

Then argue with Bob Mackenzie, not me, who said the price for Nylander was Pesce plus a sweetener.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto fans what about this deal, Rangers send you Georgiev, there first round pick the next 3 years and Adam Fox for Jeremy Bracco, or is that an overpayment on Toronto part

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad