News: The Athletic (paywall): "Who Says No" exercise with reader proposals and anonymous NHL execs

WesTheBest92

Jul 2, 2018
I want the bolts to trade with the wings and the Rangers! Who would be available? Who and what would it take to make the bolts amazing!

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Just for clarification as I’m not even participating in this thread beyond reading, but isn’t the rule here that portions of paywall articles can indeed be posted so long as they are not in the OP?

Per the rules on the site...

6) Streams/Copyrighted Material/Illegal Topics:... Large portions of ANY article. The reader must have incentive to visit the source.

Again, the OP is fine. Overall, we want users to refrain from posting entire articles. Conversely, we don't want people hijacking a thread in order to get exclusive content.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Holy shit! Thanks for posting I was reading this and forgot I even commentated on twitter and my twitter handle and proposal was featured! Wow. Feel like a celebrity. Do I get a special colored name now? :P

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Holy ****! Thanks for posting I was reading this and forgot I even commentated on twitter and my twitter handle and proposal was featured! Wow. Feel like a celebrity. Do I get a special colored name now? :P
And which horribly lopsided proposal were you responsible for?

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
1. Edmonton sends Darnell Nurse to Winnipeg for Nikolaj Ehlers - Edmonton says NO
2. Detroit sends Anthony Mantha to Montreal for a 2020 first-round pick and defenseman prospect Alexander Romanov - MTL says NO
3. Minnesota trades defenseman Matt Dumba and a 2021 fourth-round pick to Toronto for William Nylander - Fair IMO
4. Colorado trades Tyson Jost and a 2020 first-round pick to the New York Rangers for Chris Kreider - COL says NO
5. Edmonton sends Jesse Puljujarvi and a third-round pick to Ottawa for Jean-Gabriel Pageau - EDM says NO
6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick - TOR says NO
7. Minnesota sends Jason Zucker to Pittsburgh for Nick Bjugstad, a 2020 first-round pick and Casey DeSmith - Fair IMO
8. The New York Rangers trade Chris Kreider to Boston for Danton Heinen, a first-round pick and Jakub Zboril - BOS says NO
9. San Jose sends Martin Jones to Vegas for a sack of pucks - VGK says NO
10. New Jersey sends Sami Vatanen to Tampa Bay for Vancouver’s first-round pick (acquired in JT Miller deal) - VAN says NO
11. Detroit sends Dylan Larkin and Andreas Athanasiou to Colorado for Bowen Byram, Shane Bowers and a 2020 first-round pick - Neither team likes this
12. Toronto sends forward William Nylander to Carolina for Brett Pesce - Fair IMO
13. Vegas sends forward Alex Tuch, a first-round pick and a second-round pick to Columbus for Zach Werenski - COL says NO
14. Buffalo trades Casey Mittelstadt to San Jose for Tomas Hertl - SJ says NO
15. Vancouver sends Brock Boeser to Minnesota for defenseman Matt Dumba - VAN says NO
16. Edmonton sends defenseman Adam Larsson and a 2021 third-round pick to Toronto for Andreas Johnsson and Jeremy Bracco. - Fair IMO

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I would say no to each of the Edmonton proposals. Plus Edmonton's 3rd round pick is going to Calgary this year.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
1. Edmonton sends Darnell Nurse to Winnipeg for Nikolaj Ehlers
I don't think that either team would want this.

2. Detroit sends Anthony Mantha to Montreal for a 2020 first-round pick and defenseman prospect Alexander Romanov
Detroit says no.

3. Minnesota trades defenseman Matt Dumba and a 2021 fourth-round pick to Toronto for William Nylander
Similar to #1, I don't know that either team would want this. Toronto would be a likely no.

4. Colorado trades Tyson Jost and a 2020 first-round pick to the New York Rangers for Chris Kreider
Colorado probably passes here. I don't think it's a good stylistic fit, and Colorado doesn't need to use assets on this type of move at this juncture.

5. Edmonton sends Jesse Puljujarvi and a third-round pick to Ottawa for Jean-Gabriel Pageau
I could see this.

6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick
I don't think this is crazy.

7. Minnesota sends Jason Zucker to Pittsburgh for Nick Bjugstad, a 2020 first-round pick and Casey DeSmith
Sure.

8. The New York Rangers trade Chris Kreider to Boston for Danton Heinen, a first-round pick and Jakub Zboril
Sure. Hefty payment, but Boston should push.

9. San Jose sends Martin Jones to Vegas for a sack of pucks
Clear no. Bizarre.

10. New Jersey sends Sami Vatanen to Tampa Bay for Vancouver’s first-round pick (acquired in JT Miller deal)
Could make some sense.

11. Detroit sends Dylan Larkin and Andreas Athanasiou to Colorado for Bowen Byram, Shane Bowers and a 2020 first-round pick
Clear no for DET.

12. Toronto sends forward William Nylander to Carolina for Brett Pesce
Pass for TOR.

13. Vegas sends forward Alex Tuch, a first-round pick and a second-round pick to Columbus for Zach Werenski
Pass for CBJ.

14. Buffalo trades Casey Mittelstadt to San Jose for Tomas Hertl
15. Vancouver sends Brock Boeser to Minnesota for defenseman Matt Dumba
Pass for VAN.

16. Edmonton sends defenseman Adam Larsson and a 2021 third-round pick to Toronto for Andreas Johnsson and Jeremy Bracco.
Don't see it.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick

On the Leaf's board some of them think Kapanen might fetch Parayko . . . wait until they see this.

Kapanen for Mayfield and a 2nd seems closer. Georgiev and a 2nd for Kapanen alone is closer in value to me.
Not a single person thinks this.

Not to mention that they go on to say that that is a big over pay from the leafs.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Hertl for Mittelstadt. Ho. Ly. ****. That might be the worst proposal I've EVER seen. Prime example why I will never never give that garbage site any of my money.

Sigh...how is it a reflection of the site's quality? These are fan proposals Custance collected and decided to ask executives about for fun. It's sort of meant to be entertaining and interactive to see what actual employees of NHL clubs think about what fans can dream up.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Hertl for Mittelstadt. Ho. Ly. ****. That might be the worst proposal I've EVER seen. Prime example why I will never never give that garbage site any of my money.
But Twitter is free?

(They took the proposal off twitter. Their writer said it was an obvious no. The exec they interviewed also said an obvious no. I guess that one doesn't provide that much value to the reader, but it's nothing to get upset over)

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Which RH TWDs or DFDs around the league are more valuable than Pesce, contracts included? Carlson is viewed as an offensive guy, but he does eat a ton of minutes. Jones for sure. I think Pesce and Parayko are closer than the gap in name value would indicate, but he's on this list. McAvoy belongs. Who else?

Trying to get a feel for who qualifies to return Nylander in the context of Toronto's needs from a pure value perspective.

Reactions: Tryamw

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Which RH TWDs or DFDs around the league are more valuable than Pesce, contracts included? Carlson is viewed as an offensive guy, but he does eat a ton of minutes. Jones for sure. I think Pesce and Parayko are closer than the gap in name value would indicate, but he's on this list. McAvoy belongs. Who else?

Trying to get a feel for who qualifies to return Nylander in the context of Toronto's needs from a pure value perspective.
Hamilton? ;)

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Some of these are pretty HF level, but some are okay in terms of value. #12 has been talked about to death at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad