News: The Athletic (paywall): "Who Says No" exercise with reader proposals and anonymous NHL execs

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Who says no? NHL executives evaluate your trade proposals

Makes for an interesting read. Especially if you try to guess in advance what the exec will say to each proposal.
13.5 out of 16, myself. Claiming half credit for one in which the exec said that both sides might say no and I only picked one.

The proposals evaluated (EDIT: note that they came from solicited Twitter comments) were:
1. Edmonton sends Darnell Nurse to Winnipeg for Nikolaj Ehlers
2. Detroit sends Anthony Mantha to Montreal for a 2020 first-round pick and defenseman prospect Alexander Romanov
3. Minnesota trades defenseman Matt Dumba and a 2021 fourth-round pick to Toronto for William Nylander
4. Colorado trades Tyson Jost and a 2020 first-round pick to the New York Rangers for Chris Kreider
5. Edmonton sends Jesse Puljujarvi and a third-round pick to Ottawa for Jean-Gabriel Pageau
6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick
7. Minnesota sends Jason Zucker to Pittsburgh for Nick Bjugstad, a 2020 first-round pick and Casey DeSmith
8. The New York Rangers trade Chris Kreider to Boston for Danton Heinen, a first-round pick and Jakub Zboril
9. San Jose sends Martin Jones to Vegas for a sack of pucks
10. New Jersey sends Sami Vatanen to Tampa Bay for Vancouver’s first-round pick (acquired in JT Miller deal)
11. Detroit sends Dylan Larkin and Andreas Athanasiou to Colorado for Bowen Byram, Shane Bowers and a 2020 first-round pick
12. Toronto sends forward William Nylander to Carolina for Brett Pesce
13. Vegas sends forward Alex Tuch, a first-round pick and a second-round pick to Columbus for Zach Werenski
14. Buffalo trades Casey Mittelstadt to San Jose for Tomas Hertl
15. Vancouver sends Brock Boeser to Minnesota for defenseman Matt Dumba
16. Edmonton sends defenseman Adam Larsson and a 2021 third-round pick to Toronto for Andreas Johnsson and Jeremy Bracco.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Colorado trying to trade for Larkin again?
I guess Custance doesn't read HFBoards

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I stopped reading the OP after I saw Nurse for Ehlers. I imagined it would probably get worse, since it was already bad, but I had no clue it could get this bad...mother of god.

That's the point of the article. Most of the Exec's answers are explaining why they're bad for one team.

Reactions: Chompchompr

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Loved this quote.

“Good rule of thumb for people making these proposals: If you’re throwing a 2021 fourth-round pick into the deal, it’s because you aren’t offering anywhere near enough, and you know it. That 2021 fourth isn’t going to change that.”

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
The best take away from that article IMO.

'If you're adding a 4th in 2021, it's because you think you didn't offer enough value to begin with.'
Laughed at that one because I have a feeling the proposal came from someone here. Worth noting: the Wild have their 2020 fourth rounder, but can't trade that one for some reason?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I feel like the bolded are the only ones that are even close to fair value. I know the executive thought that teams wouldn't do some of the bolded, but they're at least reasonable. The 10 unbolded ones range from bad to laughable.

I also find it really weird that the executive thinks Edmonton would say no to Puljujarvi and a 3rd for Pageau. That seems like great value for Edmonton because Puljujarvi has pretty much no value right now.

Really the exec says no for both teams. For Oilers they're giving up a player they have control over for a pending UFA. For the Sens Pageau is having a good year, they could probably get a better offer, and at some point they need to start keeping some players.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I feel like the bolded are the only ones that are even close to fair value. I know the executive thought that teams wouldn't do some of the bolded, but they're at least reasonable. The 10 unbolded ones range from bad to laughable.

I also find it really weird that the executive thinks Edmonton would say no to Puljujarvi and a 3rd for Pageau. That seems like great value for Edmonton because Puljujarvi has pretty much no value right now.
It's funny because he says Oilers say no because of the years of "contractual control" they'd be handing over... which is a weird argument for a guy that publicly said "screw you guys, I'm goin' home."

Then the rest of his follow-up is about how the Senators are likely asking a mint for Pageau :laugh: These must have been pretty off the cuff.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
kapanen is supposed to get dumba/pesce according to most people on here so nylander is probably an overpay. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->