The Armchair GM Thread - Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

Quantity doesn't equal quality, and if you can get a 26 y/o defender who is one of the top 5-7 defenders in the league, that's a no-brainer.

None of those prospects project as front-line NHL player and none would probably be considered in the top 50 prospects in the NHL. I'd hate to lose Corrado, but that deal would give us the best blueline in the NHL by a mile.

And even though you've got a slew of NTCs you could probably manage to deal Edler or Bieksa to recoup some of the value once Letang's extension kicks in.

MattiOEdler

Mar 3, 2004
VAncouver
Good and Bad about this idea please:

Offer Nashville Edler and Luongo for Webber.

Nashville get Edler + Luongo + the 2x great assets they will get by trading Rinne - including a high first round pick this year from one of the teams looking for a franchise goalie - like Philly/Buffalo/Tampa/Calgary/Edmonton

Pretty Sweet.

Canucks get the true #1 Dman that make us a true cup favorite.

who wins this deal? tell me its not win win?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Keep farm:

Luongo
Edler
Cannata
1st

Letang
Fleury

Trade Fleury.

Well, I had been trying to see if it could be possible to keep Edler and still acquire Letang.

IMO Letang is a very good defenseman and possesses a few traits out blueline lacks, but I don't think Edler is miles behind him in terms of overall ability. Basically if he is going to cost us Edler I'd rather not lose a bunch of other assets on top.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Nashville get Edler + Luongo + the 2x great assets including a high first round pick this year from one of the teams looking for a franchise goalie - like Philly/Buffalo/Tampa/Calgary/Edmonton

Pretty Sweet.

Where did Pekka Rinne go?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Well, I had been trying to see if it could be possible to keep Edler and still acquire Letang.

IMO Letang is a very good defenseman and possesses a few traits out blueline lacks, but I don't think Edler is miles behind him in terms of overall ability. Basically if he is going to cost us Edler I'd rather not lose a bunch of other assets on top.

Hell I'd love to have them both too. I just don't see Pittsburgh trading him away without getting somewhat of a replacement for him.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
Letang turned down 7 mill per, for 8 years. He had a chance to stay with a cup contender, being able to play with 2 of the best players in the world & stay with his original franchise.

Why would we want him?

He's obviously more interested in getting paid then being in a good situation.
Do we really want Letang as the highest paid player on our team on a long term deal?
He'd screw up our payroll & insure the days of players taking home town discounts were over.

No way I'd want this guy on our team & luckily Gillis is extremely unlikely to pursue him.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If I was Pitt, I'd trade Letang at the draft and focus on a team like Carolina and Edmonton.

Get a high pick in the draft and some good, young replacement talent.

Package around #5 and Pitkanen. Or Skinner and Murphy.

Edmonton, I'd want #7 and possibly Eberle.

That or a package around Yakupov.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
No Richards buy-out:

The New York Rangers announced Friday that the club will not use its remaining compliance buyout this summer, meaning that high-earning center Brad Richards will be with the Blueshirts for at least another season.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Nashville get Edler + Luongo + the 2x great assets they will get by trading Rinne - including a high first round pick this year from one of the teams looking for a franchise goalie - like Philly/Buffalo/Tampa/Calgary/Edmonton

Pretty Sweet.

Nashville would be better keeping Weber, signing one of the many decent goalies available as a UFA, and trading their current #1 goalie for a bunch of stuff.

Luongo has little to no value in itself. So it's basically Weber for Edler. You want Nashville to take on a poor contract to move Weber?

You're pumping up the trade based on the players they can get for their goalie. But they can get that regardless.

John Bender*

Pretty Sweet.

Nashville is not taking Luongo. End of story. Period.

mavstar

No expectations
Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
Think there's any chance Gillis goes after Lecavalier? The only reason I bring it up is because Vinny won a cup with Torts. We don't need a top-2 centre, but with the amount of injuries Kesler has been having, it couldn't hurt.

John Bender*

Think there's any chance Gillis goes after Lecavalier? The only reason I bring it up is because Vinny won a cup with Torts. We don't need a top-2 centre, but with the amount of injuries Kesler has been having, it couldn't hurt.

I bet they do, but I bet he gets a better deal somewhere else.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
nashville would definitely take luongo, i mean who doesn't want two all star caliber goalies, that's great depth right there at the most important position to boot

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
12 points in 15 games is not producing? And he accomplished this as a depth player, never once used with Crosby or Malkin to my recollection. Iggy may not have been great, but even the Pittsburgh media have near unanimously blamed Bylsma for that, not Iginla.

The reigning Conn Smythe winner put up 9 goals, 10 assists in 23 games. Iginla was on pace to reach 8 and 15 respectively. Now I doubt he reaches that pace, but point being, he was producing quite well.

That line was fine when we rotated Kassian in. Iginla wouldn't hinder it.

It would help if you checked first before stating that Iggy never played with Malkin or Sid

Here is his scorign breakdwon in the playoffs

NYI series
Dupius from Adams, Iggy
Letang from Iggy, Malkin PP
Malkin from Iggy
Sid from Iggy, Malkin PP
Iggy from Letang, Sid
Neal from Malkin, Iggy
Malkin,from Iggy, MAF
Sid from Iggy, Dupuis

Pens only scored 2 goals against Boston in the next round, Iggy wasn't in on either of them.

Iggy turns 36 on Monday and will be of little use to any already old core here in Vancouver.

Game 2

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

We actually do need a 2nd line center, as the San Jose series told us, a team can never have too many good centers.

The Black Hawks need a 2nd line center, wouldn't it be ironic if Vinny went there to try to win another SC?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
We actually do need a 2nd line center, as the San Jose series told us, a team can never have too many good centers.

The Black Hawks need a 2nd line center, wouldn't it be ironic if Vinny went there to try to win another SC?

We had Henrik-Kesler-Roy as our top-9 centres. If anyhting the San Jose series told us centre depth is useless if you don't have linemates who can capitalize.

Chicago one the cup with Handzus a as a 2C. Why? Because he was flanked with Kane and Sharp.

Our need for a top-6 winger is far greater than our need for any centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad