The Armchair GM Thread - Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
If Peverly is available in trade (which is the word on the street), I think he would be an excellent player for 3rd line C role. He had a rough year, which is why he is available, but I think he would be worth the risk.
He has offensive upside (nearly PPG in Atlanta), can win faceoffs and knows where his own zone is, would probably be utilized in a Callahan-type role by Torts.
Whether Boston deals with us is a completely different question.

He makes too much money. It's us that would be doing Boston a favour.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
ballard was bad but no way barker should've ever made the lineup ahead of him and in no way would that ever give the canucks (or any other nhl team) "the best chance to win"

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
If Peverly is available in trade (which is the word on the street), I think he would be an excellent player for 3rd line C role. He had a rough year, which is why he is available, but I think he would be worth the risk.
He has offensive upside (nearly PPG in Atlanta), can win faceoffs and knows where his own zone is, would probably be utilized in a Callahan-type role by Torts.
Whether Boston deals with us is a completely different question.

Makes too much

arsmaster*

ballard was bad but no way barker should've ever made the lineup ahead of him and in no way would that ever give the canucks (or any other nhl team) "the best chance to win"

Allain Vigneault knows a little more than we do, I'd say, consider he gets paid millions of dollars to coach in the league.

Even if what you say is true, it still makes him at best the #8 dman in Vancouver last year.

Hamhuis
Garrison
Edler
Bieksa
Tanev
Alberts
Corrado
Barker/Ballard

It's pretty sad really.

The cost of Tanev, Alberts, Corrado, and Barker was still less than Ballard alone.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I am just curious to see what people say. Now if we do re-sign Schroeder where is he going to play? do we put him on the 3rd line again or put him on the 4th and acquire a veteran 3rd line center?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I woudn't want to spend 3.5m on a 3C when Schroeder deserves a solid shot at that spot and for an extra 500k-1m we could sign a top-6 forward.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I woudn't want to spend 3.5m on a 3C when Schroeder deserves a solid shot at that spot and for an extra 500k-1m we could sign a top-6 forward.

I agree with this, I was simply just stating we had enough cap space for him. Only way I'd be interested in Peverley is if the Bruins bought him out.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I don't think he should have been behind Barker either but he also should not have been in our top 6. I thought Alberts was better and so was Corrado.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I am just curious to see what people say. Now if we do re-sign Schroeder where is he going to play? do we put him on the 3rd line again or put him on the 4th and acquire a veteran 3rd line center?
We dont need him really.He will not take Kesler or Sedins spots any time soon.We need bigger and grittier.Not small .No offence to him.I do like him,but just dont see where he fits in.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Let's sell the farm for Kris Letang!

To Pittsburgh
Roberto Luongo (25% of contract retained by Vancouver)
Nicklas Jensen
Brendan Gaunce
Frank Corrado

To Vancouver
Kris Letang
Marc-Andre Fleury

Buy Out Ballard and Fleury

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Kellan Lain ($0.874m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m) / Marc-Andre Fleury ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (2.074% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($1.333m—25.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,827,458; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $472,542

Hire Tonya Harding to ensure David Booth is on LTIR come opening day

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
If Ballard and Luongo are bough out or moved for non cap assets that gives us nearly 10 million in cap space. Only key RFA are Tanev, Schroeder and Weise.

Agreed. My point was, which I poorly illustrated, while there is room for Peverly, due to the cap circumstances paying 3 million for a third line centre is not good cap management for a team already with cap problems.

Castle1*

Let's sell the farm for Kris Letang!

To Pittsburgh
Roberto Luongo (25% of contract retained by Vancouver)
Nicklas Jensen
Brendan Gaunce
Frank Corrado

To Vancouver
Kris Letang
Marc-Andre Fleury

Buy Out Ballard and Fleury

Hire Tonya Harding to ensure David Booth is on LTIR come opening day

I agree. Lets get rid of every single good prospect we have..all of them. On second thought....no.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Can we stop proposing any trades where we retain cap?

No.

It's ridiculous, as we are not going to have a black hole for eight years.

I agree it's unlikely. That being said a small portion of dead cap space isn't that egregious especially now that it's evident the cap will continue to grow over that entire term.

As for it being unlikely for this franchise to have dead cap space, the league's richest franchise had 75% of that much dead cap space for 75% of that term as a result of the Darcy Tucket buyout..

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree. Lets get rid of every single good prospect we have..all of them. On second thought....no.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

Quantity doesn't equal quality, and if you can get a 26 y/o defender who is one of the top 5-7 defenders in the league, that's a no-brainer.

None of those prospects project as front-line NHL player and none would probably be considered in the top 50 prospects in the NHL. I'd hate to lose Corrado, but that deal would give us the best blueline in the NHL by a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad