The Armchair GM Thread - Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alflives*

Because he's a terrible hockey player making $4.2 million dollars.

Same reason Toronto couldn't get anything for Mike Komisarek.

Good riddance. He seemed like a good guy and handled his situation with class, but he's been an anchor for this team for 3 years. And not because of the coach.

It's not the buyout. Didn't Gillis trade two first rounders to get the guy: Grabner + the pick?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I will enjoy watching that terrible player succeed with his new team this fall.

Are you expecting Mike Komisarek and Colby Armstrong to turn back into good players, too? Same age, same career arc. Should we sign them because the coach was the root of their problems, too? Maybe we should give Marc Chouinard another chance, as surely Vigneault was also the reason he was garbage ....

Ballard was given an extended run in the lineup for 20-40 games at the start of each of his 3 seasons here. In the lineup every night, plenty of opportunity to build confidence. He continued to be a big pile of suck. Black hole offensively who ran around like a chicken with its head cut off in his own zone. I don't know who anyone who watched this guy play 150+ games here could think he's actually a good player. He just isn't.

He'll probably sign with a weak team and play regularly on a 3rd pairing somewhere, and score 12-15 points in 16 minutes of icetime with a lousy Corsi rating. Big whoop.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
It's not the buyout. Didn't Gillis trade two first rounders to get the guy: Grabner + the pick?

I didn't mind it at the time, because there were no guarantees that Hamhuis was going to sign, and if they don't make that trade, and swing and miss in UFA, the defence corps would have been disastrous.

At the same time, they did not evaluate Grabner well and badly overpaid by including him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Grabner, first round pick and Bernier.

Terrible trade.

It was obviously a bad trade, and we've known that for years. Seemed to make sense at the time, as Ballard had been a good player who'd only had one poor season at that point, but then his game went completely south. It happens.

The real mistake was not unloading Ballard in 2011 when he still had a bit of value and we could maybe have still got back a mid-round pick for him. Instead we let a mistake fester and waste a pile of cap space while better players (Ehrhoff, Salo, Rome) were let go.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Hey guys, we also got Victor Oreskovich in that trade!

CanucksVictory2.gif

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
Gillis by buying Ballard out is admitting his mistake. I'd rather a GM do that for the better of the hockey team.

Yep.

Bah. This sucks. With some of the questionable talent out there on D for some teams, hard to believe he didn't even garner a pick.

I think quite a few GMs with decent cap situations are simply going to out-wait those who are in a bit of a pickle (unfortunately us included). There are a fair number of reclamation project players who may be traded/bought out. A team that can fit Ballard at 4.2 is probably not a contender, nor is he going to be a real difference maker. What matter is it to them if they miss out on him? Why not keep the pick, and have a good chance at getting him for free, on a cheaper contract when he is bought out. Or make the waiver claim, and get him for free on the current deal.

Sucks for us, but that's what i'd do if I was running NYI or whatever. Stand pat and wait for an extra ~10 decent but overpaid players to hit UFA.

Alflives*

It was obviously a bad trade, and we've known that for years. Seemed to make sense at the time, as Ballard had been a good player who'd only had one poor season at that point, but then his game went completely south. It happens.

The real mistake was not unloading Ballard in 2011 when he still had a bit of value and we could maybe have still got back a mid-round pick for him. Instead we let a mistake fester and waste a pile of cap space while better players (Ehrhoff, Salo, Rome) were let go.

That's sounding very similar to the Luongo situation now too. How does Gillis keep his job? Maybe both the coach and the GM should have been replaced? It's not just the hockey mistake, but now it's costing the owner is his pocketbook too. How is that owner going to react to Gillis asking for the cash to buy-out Luongo, if it comes to that? Can you imagine that converstation? "Yes, [Mr. Aquilini] I know he can still play, but I need 27 million, so he can go and sign a contract that will pay him similar money on another team."

arsmaster*

Even in hindsight the trade isn't that bad.

4th line winger, waiver fodder and a 1st for Ballard and a 4th line winger.

Grabner breaking out hurts, but he's still basically at best a 40 point winger.

Fully agreed on the "real mistake" being not moving him, especially since it ended up costing Ehrhoff and basically cost us servicable cap space for the last 2 seasons.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

Fully agreed on the "real mistake" being not moving him, especially since it ended up costing Ehrhoff and basically cost us servicable cap space for the last 2 seasons.

Not that I disagree with your general premise, but how is Grabner "at best" a 40 point winger when he's already had a 34-goal, 52 point season?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

the optics depend on what you want to see, i guess.

like you (and i think the vast majority of people at the time), i saw it as a 4th line winger, a potential tweener who wasn't going to make the team and would have been waived, and a very late first rounder in a draft where the player they wanted was already taken (allegedly tinordi?)

but yeah, you could certainly look at the asset management and see it as two firsts and a second (i.e., what we gave up for bernier)

or you could weigh the cap hits and see it as trading two cheap mistakes and a useful piece (the howden pick) for an expensive one

or you could go crazy with hindsight and see it as a 30 goal scorer, an B+ prospect, and a useful fourth liner who was solid and contributed to a stanley cup finalist

but like others upthread, i think the real mistake wasn't the trade itself; it was holding onto ballard for so long. look, whether we want to say that ballard sucks or that AV had some kind of blood feud with him, or perhaps more reasonably that he didn't click with AV and had his confidence ruined by the experience, he should have been gone in the summer of 2011. not an "OMG FIRE MG" mistake, nor an "FML WE COULDA KEPT HOFF AND PAID HIM FOR THE NEXT 40 MILLION YEARS" mistake, imo, but not the wisest decision.

and it's beside the point here, but an inhumane one decision for ballard too.

arsmaster*

Not that I disagree with your general premise, but how is Grabner "at best" a 40 point winger when he's already had a 34-goal, 52 point season?

You're right, "at best" is poor wording.

What do we think Mason Raymond is? I'm going to say a 40 point tweener, even though he has a 25 goal 50+ point season on his resume.

The interesting thing is that those seasons were 3 and 4 years ago.

Grabs might score 30 again, but I'm going to say his 50 point season is the high water mark.

His most recent seasons have him in the 32-39 point range. Two seasons (albeit one lockout shortened one) is a better sample than a "career season" IMO.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
The fact that Ballard was immediately overtaken by a Junior age defenseman on the depth chart IN THE FREAKING PLAYOFFS (even if said defenseman has Orr in his name) tells you all you need to know about his place on this team moving forward.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's sounding very similar to the Luongo situation now too. How does Gillis keep his job? Maybe both the coach and the GM should have been replaced?

Because every GM makes mistakes and because the team has won their division 5 times in a row?

Alflives*

This might be true, but 30 of those points are goals!

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The fact that Ballard was immediately overtaken by a Junior age defenseman on the depth chart IN THE FREAKING PLAYOFFS (even if said defenseman has Orr in his name) tells you all you need to know about his place on this team moving forward.

Meh, it was clear AV hated him.

He got a raw deal in Vancouver.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Meh, it was clear AV hated him.

He got a raw deal in Vancouver.

AV wanted to win. He played the lineup that gave him the best chance to win. I doubt that his personal feelings for Ballard entered into it. And there really is no evidence that on a personal basis he didn't like Ballard.

wetcoastwhale

Aug 12, 2005
SA
If Peverly is available in trade (which is the word on the street), I think he would be an excellent player for 3rd line C role. He had a rough year, which is why he is available, but I think he would be worth the risk.
He has offensive upside (nearly PPG in Atlanta), can win faceoffs and knows where his own zone is, would probably be utilized in a Callahan-type role by Torts.
Whether Boston deals with us is a completely different question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad