The Armchair GM Thread - LXXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks will never trade the twins. It's silly. They chose them over Kesler, for example. That's a pretty stout vote of confidence! I think Linden and his crew of coaches had the Sedins forced upon them but that's speculative.

It shocks me that the Sedins haven't been given the support they need on the ice. They used to cycle until a point man was left with an open shooting lane. This worked on the power play, too. Without a hard point shot or able puck handler at the point they floundered. Yet, the team addressed phantom issues in goal and added another declining forward?

Canucks will be hard pressed to better last season. They aren't improved anywhere.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
The powerplay is where the Sedins make their gravy. If Canucks can manage a top 15 finish on the PP next season, they'll have a bounceback year.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Ya I wish we would have signed some sort of PP QB, someone who can really run a PP from the point. I guess now were going with Edler-Weber? Does Vrbata ever play the point?

Ventana*

Ya I wish we would have signed some sort of PP QB, someone who can really run a PP from the point. I guess now were going with Edler-Weber? Does Vrbata ever play the point?

It doesn't take rocket appliances to know that Bob Sanguinetti is your guy.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

Pretty sure Henrik will continue to be the "QB" of our powerplay, as he has been for many years.

I'm not sure why people cling to this idea that a defenseman is like the main passer/playmaker on a PP. I don't think there's a single team in the NHL that runs a PP like that.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Canucks will never trade the twins. It's silly. They chose them over Kesler, for example. That's a pretty stout vote of confidence! I think Linden and his crew of coaches had the Sedins forced upon them but that's speculative.

It shocks me that the Sedins haven't been given the support they need on the ice. They used to cycle until a point man was left with an open shooting lane. This worked on the power play, too. Without a hard point shot or able puck handler at the point they floundered. Yet, the team addressed phantom issues in goal and added another declining forward?

Canucks will be hard pressed to better last season. They aren't improved anywhere.

I think the Canucks have taken a big step back... Kesler >>> Bonino Luongo >> Miller but we likely upgraded on coaching... I hope we suck and get a high pick, this draft is too good to ignore and we do have some good young prospects coming up that another top pick could really help shape us for the future.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Pretty sure Henrik will continue to be the "QB" of our powerplay, as he has been for many years.

I'm not sure why people cling to this idea that a defenseman is like the main passer/playmaker on a PP. I don't think there's a single team in the NHL that runs a PP like that.

Anaheim Ducks did when they had Scott Niedermayer on the PP.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Curious what Canuck fans would give up for Barrie. AVs fan created thread in main board.

RFA. Had a good year with 38pts. Coming off knee injury.

Undersized but a great skater and offensive dman. Subpar in his own zone.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Curious what Canuck fans would give up for Barrie. AVs fan created thread in main board.

RFA. Had a good year with 38pts. Coming off knee injury.

Undersized but a great skater and offensive dman. Subpar in his own zone.

Idk. Jensen++ would not give up any top prospect minus Gaunce and Jensen.

nucklepucktime

Jan 26, 2014
Vrbata sedin sedin
Kassian bonnino burmistrov(kesler offensive potential)
Matthias vey jensen
Dorrsett richardson archibald

Bieksa hamius
Edler tanev
Sbisa siemens (mr meat and patatoes)
Sbisa puck moving defenseman

Miller
Markstrom
Ericksson
Demko*

Trade lack for burmistrov (potential for potential)
Trade burrows corrado for siemens (massive shutdown upside)
Higgins, stanton for a prospect or pick
Hansen for a pick

If siemens develops tanev as a potential trade chip?

Burmistrov (great offensive upside) for lack (top 10 goalie upside)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

It's the one remaining spot on the team that to me seems completely unfilled at this point. Other spots, while maybe not filled to the point that i'm comfortable with things and expect big things...there are at least clear replacements in place now.

The #1PP Unit is still a group of great mystery to me. You can assume Sedins x2, Edler...beyond that...i'd wager Vrbata with his RH shot and ability to play that LW circle one-timer role and just his ability to finish in and around the net area in general puts him up front on that unit.

But from there...our options for the second Point Man on that #1PP Unit are honestly pretty poor.

It's why i've pimped still unsigned Jamie McBain so hard here. He's not going to take tough matchups defensively, he's going to annoy all of us 5v5, he's going to make egregious mistakes...but he's also a possibility as a RH shooting PPQB who can shoot well or dish the puck, can move around and open things up. Think...a more mobile Cody Franson in the right situation. But it seems pretty clear there's no interest from Canucks management there...

Which leads me to...Frankie Corrado is making this team unless he bombs out in camp and rips a giant biohazard level fart in Jim Benning's office on the way out. I don't really like it...but this team is very clearly short one RH shooting defenceman without Corrado. The table is set for him to make the team i guess. He at least has a knack for getting his big RH shot through from the point, that's something. :dunno:

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
It's the one remaining spot on the team that to me seems completely unfilled at this point. Other spots, while maybe not filled to the point that i'm comfortable with things and expect big things...there are at least clear replacements in place now.

The #1PP Unit is still a group of great mystery to me. You can assume Sedins x2, Edler...beyond that...i'd wager Vrbata with his RH shot and ability to play that LW circle one-timer role and just his ability to finish in and around the net area in general puts him up front on that unit.

But from there...our options for the second Point Man on that #1PP Unit are honestly pretty poor.

It's why i've pimped still unsigned Jamie McBain so hard here. He's not going to take tough matchups defensively, he's going to annoy all of us 5v5, he's going to make egregious mistakes...but he's also a possibility as a RH shooting PPQB who can shoot well or dish the puck, can move around and open things up. Think...a more mobile Cody Franson in the right situation. But it seems pretty clear there's no interest from Canucks management there...

Which leads me to...Frankie Corrado is making this team unless he bombs out in camp and rips a giant biohazard level fart in Jim Benning's office on the way out. I don't really like it...but this team is very clearly short one RH shooting defenceman without Corrado. The table is set for him to make the team i guess. He at least has a knack for getting his big RH shot through from the point, that's something. :dunno:

yup, went downhill when Erhoff left, then further downhill when Salo left. No one to capitalize on the Sedins' sweet setups (and the much over-hyped Garrison was not the answer.) McBain feels like another Diaz/Weber/Barker reclamation project that is will most likely just suck up a roster spot. I'd rather try and get a young guy like Stefan Elliot that we can groom w the young core..

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I wish we could get Danny Dekeyser. Detroit needs a RHS what about Tanev+ for him? Then get E.Kane out Winnipeg. Maybe offer Jensen + Hansen + Markstrom + Gaunce? Idk.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Kane-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Vey-Burrows
Matthias-Richardsson-Dorsett

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Dekyser
Sbisa-Corrado
Stanton

Miller
Lack

???

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Think I'd prefer giving Vey a shot at that before Corrado; seeing as Vey is on this squad no matter what - might as well make use of his abilities (right hand shot & playmaker). At least with respect to the power play.

BetterMan

Jul 11, 2013
Vrbata sedin sedin
Kassian bonnino burmistrov(kesler offensive potential)
Matthias vey jensen
Dorrsett richardson archibald

Bieksa hamius
Edler tanev
Sbisa siemens (mr meat and patatoes)
Sbisa puck moving defenseman

Miller
Markstrom
Ericksson
Demko*

Trade lack for burmistrov (potential for potential)
Trade burrows corrado for siemens (massive shutdown upside)
Higgins, stanton for a prospect or pick
Hansen for a pick

If siemens develops tanev as a potential trade chip?

Burmistrov (great offensive upside) for lack (top 10 goalie upside)

Why are some people so high on Siemens? I watched him for years during his WHL career in Saskatoon. He was basically carried by Elliott. Once he was gone and Siemens got a bigger role, he quickly turned to garbage. He reminds me of Shane O'Brien for what it's worth. I like to see ex-blades find success but don't see much from him in the future IMO, hope I'm wrong.

Edit: As an aside I've also seen a lot of Carter Ashton and Luca Sbisa and both appeared to be more physical and have more hockey sense. Based on my viewing history I would expect both to have better and longer NHL careers, although recent history suggests both are struggling of late.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'm not so sure the Canucks are counting on Corrado right off the bat. There's 3 RHD on the roster without him and also 3 guys who could fill the bottom D-pair.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa/Stanton - Weber (or any combo of those 3)

I think there's a chance Corrado outplays all of those bottom three guys and forces Vancouver's hand, but what I like is that he won't HAVE to perform. If he does, great, if he doesn't, he won't be forced into a spot he isn't ready for. He can marinade in the minors a little longer and wait for an injury or try and work his way back up. Opportunity without pressure.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I'm not so sure the Canucks are counting on Corrado right off the bat. There's 3 RHD on the roster without him and also 3 guys who could fill the bottom D-pair.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa/Stanton - Weber (or any combo of those 3)

I think there's a chance Corrado outplays all of those bottom three guys and forces Vancouver's hand, but what I like is that he won't HAVE to perform. If he does, great, if he doesn't, he won't be forced into a spot he isn't ready for. He can marinade in the minors a little longer and wait for an injury or try and work his way back up. Opportunity without pressure.
So how does a random Whaler/Devil fan find his way into this thread? :laugh: Have no problem with it whatsoever, it's just hilariously arbitrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad