The Armchair GM Thread - LXXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Del Zotto sucks.

He's a case of the Cam Barker '40 point mirage' where a bad defender puts up 40 points because he was used on the #1 PP unit for an entire year and scored 20 points there ... and then everyone thinks he's great for the next 5 years.

Undersized, soft, poor defensively. Was carried by his defensive partner for a couple years.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Yes thanks.
I'd much rather give del zotto a chance to be the offensive defenseman this team has lacked since ehrhoff than weber or corrado. Blah

What kind of toolset do you think Del Zotto has? Weak shot, slow defender, isn't physical, bad defensive. Seriously? Do people just look at his stats? I honestly, don't see a single asset the guy brings to any team.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Del Zotto sucks.

He's a case of the Cam Barker '40 point mirage' where a bad defender puts up 40 points because he was used on the #1 PP unit for an entire year and scored 20 points there ... and then everyone thinks he's great for the next 5 years.

Undersized, soft, poor defensively. Was carried by his defensive partner for a couple years.
Undersized, soft, poor defensively. Was carried by his defensive partner for a couple years.Sounds like a few d-men we have already. he will fit right in

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What kind of toolset do you think Del Zotto has? Weak shot, slow defender, isn't physical, bad defensive. Seriously? Do people just look at his stats? I honestly, don't see a single asset the guy brings to any team.

He's 24 and not being brought in to shut down toews and Kane. He can sit on the PP all year and outscore all our other defensive defenseman.
On a 1 yr deal who cares, if he sucks waive him. He can't cost too much now that he's gone unsigned and Roy / ribero have signed for a mil.

Letang sucks at defense too, Rutherford doesn't care he wants him to put points on the board.

Nov 1, 2011
Any chance we go for Dustin Penner?

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Penner - Vey - Kassian
Higgins - Bonino - Burrows
Hansen - Matthias - Richardson/Dorsett

...not great but not bad.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
He's 24 and not being brought in to shut down toews and Kane. He can sit on the PP all year and outscore all our other defensive defenseman.
On a 1 yr deal who cares, if he sucks waive him. He can't cost too much now that he's gone unsigned and Roy / ribero have signed for a mil.

Letang sucks at defense too, Rutherford doesn't care he wants him to put points on the board.

Letang can actually skate around people, blindfolded. Del Zotto is as slow as Tom Sestito.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Letang can actually skate around people, blindfolded. Del Zotto is as slow as Tom Sestito.

Sounding more and more like Cam Barker.

Anyways, doesn't say good things about him if the defensemen factory in Nashville thinks he's a lost cause.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
and who cares? What do you mean who cares? You don't put crap on the team, just for the hell of it. What about guys like Sbisa and Corrado, who actually have toolsets to develop? Throw them aside, from a washed up 24 year old Del Zotto who has regressed since being in the nhl?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
and who cares? What do you mean who cares? You don't put crap on the team, just for the hell of it. What about guys like Sbisa and Corrado, who actually have toolsets to develop? Throw them aside, from a washed up 24 year old Del Zotto who has regressed since being in the nhl?
You're gonna eat those words in the future. I highly doubt a 24 year old has regressed.

And who cares because he's better than corrado and sbisa combined as an offensive defenseman. And it's very low risk high reward. There's a greater chance del zotto puts up 30+ points than under 30.

Who knows what happens in Nashville. Maybe he doesn't like country music, maybe he hates mike fisher who cares. He's proven he can put up points in the NHL, and since nobody else on our D core is as offensive then give him a flyer.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

To be fair, I'd rather have Del Zotto than Sbisa, and Sbisa has had a similar career path to Del Zotto. At least Del Zotto would be cheap and crappy, as opposed to expensive and crappy.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
You're gonna eat those words in the future. I highly doubt a 24 year old has regressed.

And who cares because he's better than corrado and sbisa combined as an offensive defenseman. And it's very low risk high reward. There's a greater chance del zotto puts up 30+ points than under 30.

Who knows what happens in Nashville. Maybe he doesn't like country music, maybe he hates mike fisher who cares. He's proven he can put up points in the NHL, and since nobody else on our D core is as offensive then give him a flyer.

the guy was in the nhl for so long, based on potential and has never worked so long. He's not better than Corrado or Sbisa, and you've still yet to answer the question I've asked you in my first response.

What kind of toolset do you think Del Zotto has? that will make him any good anywhere?

He was in the doghouse for years, with the rangers as well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

ANY defender who plays a full season on a #1 PP unit will score 40 points.

If we played Ryan Stanton on the #1 PP unit all year, guess what? 40 points.

The year Del Zotto scored 40 points, NYR had the #23 PP in the NHL. Even on bad PPs, bad players will still get to play regularly and will still score 15-20 points if they're on the top unit all year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Sounding more and more like Cam Barker.

Anyways, doesn't say good things about him if the defensemen factory in Nashville thinks he's a lost cause.

Cam barker had one season over 20 pts.

Del zotto already has three at 24. And 17 in his last 67 games.

I don't see the huge risk in giving him a shot.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
To be fair, I'd rather have Del Zotto than Sbisa, and Sbisa has had a similar career path to Del Zotto. At least Del Zotto would be cheap and crappy, as opposed to expensive and crappy.

Sbisa has had less chances to show what he's got. Del Zotto has been given every possible opportunity to succeed in the NHL.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
ANY defender who plays a full season on a #1 PP unit will score 40 points.

If we played Ryan Stanton on the #1 PP unit all year, guess what? 40 points.

No Canucks DMan scored 40 pts last year........
None even got to 30 except the guy we traded away for a 2nd.
But hey if you don't want any point producers from the defense then whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad