The Armchair GM Thread - LXXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I would trade Higgins if the offer was right. No reason not to. Sell high on this player, imo.
I would too but dang he plays good every night and I think he's one of the leaders in the locker room. If the offer was a 2nd round pick I'd do it though.

PokerPig

Jan 10, 2009
Burnaby, BC
Why would we trade Higgins?

He's the perfect 3rd line LW unfortunetly playing as our 2nd line LW.

Unless were trading Higgins straight up for a 2nd line LW, why would we trade him?

Who would play rover on those two lines?

Hansen? Matthias?

I dont want them masquerading as our 2nd line LW at times cause we traded Higgins

Id rather have a Higgins. I wish we had a RW Higgins. a 2.5 million dollar Burrows.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Higgins if he were to be traded it would definitely be to the east near New York.

I would say his list is:

NY Rangers/Islanders
Buffalo
New Jersey
Boston
Philly
Pens
Blue Jackets
Caps
Canes

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
And if he doesn't want to move, which teams is he going to list?

The teams that don't have any need for a Chris Higgins.
I don't know how many teams he has on that list but they're what about 10 teams who don't have a need for him?

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I probably wouldn't move Higgins till some of the young guys settle in like Virtanen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Kassian. They need some vets to look up to and they need to be ready to help lead a team. Don't want to pull a Edmonton when you go all out young.

Next year we probably got:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Shinkaruk - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Vey
Burrows - Guance - Hansen

Will Richie and Matthias be resigned? that depends on this season. I wouldn't mind re-signing each to a 1 yr deal but I think it depends on the direction Benning is going in. I would give Virtanen another year or two and work with the Hitmen on improving his hockey IQ. If Virtanen's hockey IQ goes up he could be a nightmare for some teams. Maybe Gaunce can center the 4C for awhile and give him some taste of the NHL. Same with Horvat and Shinkaruk. The thing I like is Shinkaruk and Guance we can control them, when Horvat its 9 game and you are here or gone. Maybe Guance can take Horvat's spot if he needs more time in junior.

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
There's no reason to move Higgins unless the offer is too good to refuse (a 1st round pick for example) or he asks for a trade. He's a good veteran player who can play on the 2nd or 3rd line and he has a reasonable contract.

There isn't really an issue about making room for our young players/prospects because most of them aren't NHL ready yet, and even if they are next year (2015-16) Matthias, Richardson, Dorsett, and Sestito are UFAs and could end up walking (or we trade them at the deadline) and who knows if Vey will fit in.

Also, considering the Vrbata/Miller signings and what we got in return for Kesler, I think it's safe to say that Linden/Benning don't want to trade away our players for futures. They want to compete now (to sell tickets).

Alflives*

How about...

To Columbus:
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin

To Vancouver:
Boone Jenner
David Savard
Kerby Rychel
2015 1st round pick

Why would Columbus do that? You must be joking, because you usually make good sense. My apologies, if I missed the intended humor.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Is Jensen a roster player?

Well he looked good with Burrows and Henrik, but sure, it's debatable with our depth. I'd be more than happy to see him run away with a permanent spot after the camp.

The main point, though, is how the guy seems to dish all the proposals out he can, and almost nothing sticks. Same going for those Lucic or Eriksson proposals on the trade forum.. people should just take a week off or something and wait until the training camp and exhibition matches begin. At least then we know how our current roster is working with Sbisa/Bonino/Vrbata/Vey/Horvat etc. in and Kesler/Garrison/Santo out. Before that.. I just cringe every time the same stuff keeps coming up.

Bonino and Vey are competing for the 2C/3C spots along with Matthias and Richardson and Horvat, heck even Gaunce.. that's our youth right there. Let's see them try before we fantasize about displacing them with other youngsters as undependable.. the grass is always greener on the other side, obviously, but it's getting boring after a while.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
If were out of it by the deadline we should be trying to move Vrbata and Bonino for 1st rounders. It really depends how they're both doing though in reality.

Agreed.

Most of these players would still be serviceable to the Canucks right away and we can get picks for them as well
HIGGINS: 17G 22A 39P
For
KORPIKOSKI: 9G 16A 25P + 2nd 2015

HIGGINS: 17G 22A 39P+ 2015 3rd
For
TALBOT: 7G 18A 25P
ELLIOTT: 1G 0A 1P (1GP) also very young

HIGGINS: 17G 22A 39P+ 2015 2nd
For
N. FOLIGNO: 18G 21A 39P+ 2015 3rd

For
BOURNIVAL: 7G 7A 14P also very young +2015 2nd

For
BRUNNER: 11G 14A 25P +2015 3rd

For
STALBERG: 8G 10A 18P +2015 2nd +2016 3rd

HIGGINS: 17G 22A 39P 2015 6th
For
BROUWER: 25G 18A 43P

And yes some of the stats don't match but you would get picks and still be competitive. Also this is Higgins' third best season so his value wouldn't even be that low.

If Higgins is traded, I reckon it would be for futures/prospects. Higgins would be a valuable addition to any playoff teams looking to make a playoff push.

Upfront, I fully expect our vets (Burrows, Higgins, Hansen) to be phased out over the next few years, to eventually make room for our youngsters.

Probably a minimum rate of one player gone each year (trade deadline/off season), for the next three years. Possibly sooner if we're in lotto pick range.

Matthias/Richardson. I expect a maximum of one of these two to be back 2015-16 season, if at all.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Agreed.

If Higgins is traded, I reckon it would be for futures/prospects. Higgins would be a valuable addition to any playoff teams looking to make a playoff push.

Upfront, I fully expect our vets (Burrows, Higgins, Hansen) to be phased out over the next few years, to eventually make room for our youngsters.

Probably a minimum rate of one player gone each year (trade deadline/off season), for the next three years. Possibly sooner if we're in lotto pick range.

Matthias/Richardson. I expect a maximum of one of these two to be back 2015-16 season, if at all.

pretty much this we will keep the Sedins, unless they retire as their contracts make them pretty much untradeable, plus it's still cool to see guys play in only one jersey for their careers.

Everyone else needs to be phased out or we will lose value on a perishable asset, something this team needs really badly are more legitimate assets going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad