The Armchair GM Thread - LXXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
So how does a random Whaler/Devil fan find his way into this thread? :laugh: Have no problem with it whatsoever, it's just hilariously arbitrary.

My best friend's a Canucks fan and they've basically been my second team since 1994/95. We both picked our favorite hockey teams because we went with "not the Rangers." :laugh: I've lurked here for a long time, if that helps!

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
With Chicago and Columbus each having 2 second rounders and Columbus having 3 3rds
If our season does not go well would we be a match to make a futures move with one of these teams ?

member 202355

I wish we could get Danny Dekeyser. Detroit needs a RHS what about Tanev+ for him? Then get E.Kane out Winnipeg. Maybe offer Jensen + Hansen + Markstrom + Gaunce? Idk.

I would trade Tanev + prospect/pick for DeKeyser in a heartbeat. He's younger, bigger, more physical, better offensively and defensively. Detroit likely won't move him, barring overpayment.

As for Kane, there's no chance that package gets it done. A potential top line winger for a third liner, two middling prospects and an AHL goaltender? If I'm Cheveldayoff, I hang up at that lousy offer.

In any trade involving Kane, the deal would almost definitely include Horvat or the 2015 1st, possibly both.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I would trade Tanev + prospect/pick for DeKeyser in a heartbeat. He's younger, bigger, more physical, better offensively and defensively. Detroit likely won't move him, barring overpayment.

As for Kane, there's no chance that package gets it done. A potential top line winger for a third liner, two middling prospects and an AHL goaltender? If I'm Cheveldayoff, I hang up at that lousy offer.

In any trade involving Kane, the deal would almost definitely include Horvat or the 2015 1st, possibly both.

Does Winnipeg honestly think it can get a top prospect and what will likely be a great pick in a deep draft for Kane with the untenable situation Winnipeg is in long term?

My thought is if they hold out for that they will be waiting on it too long and the grenade will explode in their hands so to speak.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Does Winnipeg honestly think it can get a top prospect and what will likely be a great pick in a deep draft for Kane with the untenable situation Winnipeg is in long term?

My thought is if they hold out for that they will be waiting on it too long and the grenade will explode in their hands so to speak.

I think its obvious Kane wants to come to Vancouver. I think this seems fair:

:jets

Higgins + Stanton + 2015 3rd

:nucks

Evander Kane

-----------------------

Higgins/Hansen: Higgins can help fill in the 2LW and is a great 3rd liner.

Stanton: Great bottom 4/5 Dman. Could maybe also step up to a second pairing if injuries are a problem for the team.

2015 3rd: For a deep 2015 draft.

----------------------

Now I know what people are going to say. Winnipeg hangs up the phone and they are going to overrate the **** out of him. The guy hasn't even reached 50 points since his first year with Winnipeg which was in 2011/2012. He also never got 50 points with Atlanta. A majority of his career are minus. So I feel a 3rd liner that can take a 2nd line role and a good young bottom Dman that can play well in the bottom pairing and a 3rd in a deep draft is just fine.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Kane - Bonino - Kassian
Burrows - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett/Vey

Vey and Dorsett will have to fight for a spot and maybe even Hansen if Horvat makes the lineup.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I don't really see DeKeyser being better than Tanev right now. Tanev was on our top-pair this season and played that role very effectively. He has incredible defense and PK value. The offense isn't there yet for either player but you can see glimpses in both.

Evander Kane

-----------------------

Stanton: Great bottom 4/5 Dman. Could maybe also step up to a second pairing if injuries are a problem for the team.

----------------------

Now I know what people are going to say. Winnipeg hangs up the phone and they are going to overrate the **** out of him. The guy hasn't even reached 50 points since his first year with Winnipeg which was in 2011/2012. He also never got 50 points with Atlanta. A majority of his career are minus. So I feel a 3rd liner that can take a 2nd line role and a good young bottom Dman that can play well in the bottom pairing and a 3rd in a deep draft is just fine.

There is a reason why everyone thinks that is a completely unfair offer for Kane. Because it is. He is a star, young talent. You don't acquire those by offering your scraps.

It probably takes Horvat or Virtanen in the conversation. Or if Winnipeg really wants to push for the playoffs, Hamhuis to solididy their LHD.

member 202355

Evander Kane

This is by far the worst offer for Kane I've seen proposed. I really hope for your sake that a Jets fan doesn't happen to stumble by this thread and see this putrid proposal.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I don't really see DeKeyser being better than Tanev right now. Tanev was on our top-pair this season and played that role very effectively. He has incredible defense and PK value. The offense isn't there yet for either player but you can see glimpses in both.

There is a reason why everyone thinks that is a completely unfair offer for Kane. Because it is. He is a star, young talent. You don't acquire those by offering your scraps.

It probably takes Horvat or Virtanen in the conversation. Or if Winnipeg really wants to push for the playoffs, Hamhuis to solididy their LHD.

He hasn't hit 50 points for two seasons and has been -8 in the minors, -3 and then a -7 last season with the Jets. I think if Winnipeg doesn't be careful Kane's value will go down. I think he is overrated if he doesn't make it higher than 55 points this season. Higgins wasn't very far from what Kane got this season either.

What do you think of Kesler?

Bonino some people call a 3rd liner.
Sbisa some people don't even like.
Then we lower our 3rd.

Kesler still has talent in him and I bet he is gonna light it up in Anaheim.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Here's a crazy idea but it seems like there's friction between Joe Thornton and the Sharks. I personally would jump at a chance to get him in a Canucks jersey and it seems like this is a time he could be snapped up for a relatively cheap price. Having a genuinely elite center carrying the 1B line would be the answer to a lot of problems with this team.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Evander Kane

-----------------------

----------------------

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Kane - Bonino - Kassian
Burrows - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett/Vey

Vey and Dorsett will have to fight for a spot and maybe even Hansen if Horvat makes the lineup.

I legit laughed loud IRL when I read that proposal. I nearly fell out of my chair

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I legit laughed loud IRL when I read that proposal. I nearly fell out of my chair

Yeah laugh it up. The team that traded a star for Bonino and we don't even know if he will be able to fill 2C and the Sbisa haters on here.

Why should Kane who didn't even put up the same as Kesler or Spezza get more than him and Spezza in a trade? That makes absolutely no sense. I don't think Kane is going to be the player a lot of people think he will be. Its paying for the name pretty much. Kane should be scoring 50+ by now.

member 202355

Welcome to the 2015 draft, where 7th round picks are worth 3rd round picks in an average draft.

He hasn't hit 50 points for two seasons and has been -8 in the minors, -3 and then a -7 last season with the Jets.

Why he hasn't hit 50 points in his past two seasons:

2013-14: Missed 19 games.
2012-13: Lockout shortened season.

Case dismissed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Welcome to the 2015 draft, where 7th round picks are worth 3rd round picks in an average draft.

Why he hasn't hit 50 points in his past two seasons:

2013-14: Missed 19 games.
2012-13: Lockout shortened season.

Case dismissed.

Even if he does hit 50 you don't give Virtanen or Horvat up. Dallas and Anaheim didn't even give up any big names. Chaisson has some potential but still. Your like in the past when people were saying

Etem + Theodore + 10th overall.

Maybe you can switch Stanton out for Corrado.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Yeah laugh it up. The team that traded a star for Bonino and we don't even know if he will be able to fill 2C and the Sbisa haters on here.

Just because our GM got his ass handed to him, it doesn't mean other teams' valuable assets can be had for cheap.

Why should Kane who didn't even put up the same as Kesler or Spezza get more than him and Spezza in a trade?

Because Kane is 22 years old?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
yup, went downhill when Erhoff left, then further downhill when Salo left. No one to capitalize on the Sedins' sweet setups (and the much over-hyped Garrison was not the answer.) McBain feels like another Diaz/Weber/Barker reclamation project that is will most likely just suck up a roster spot. I'd rather try and get a young guy like Stefan Elliot that we can groom w the young core..

I think you're probably right...That's what McBain would be at this point, a "reclamation project"...but he has the history of being a decently productive defenceman, he has a really good RH point shot and the ability to move around on a PP and open that shot up. I'd easily take him over any of those 3 aforementioned "reclamation project" types.

It's far from a "solid option", but at this point...we're out of "solid options" and into...hope something works mode. Throwing a camp invite out to a guy like McBain to see how he jives with Willie D's system and if he's any kind of fit with the Twins on the PP would be so worth it imo.

Think I'd prefer giving Vey a shot at that before Corrado; seeing as Vey is on this squad no matter what - might as well make use of his abilities (right hand shot & playmaker). At least with respect to the power play.

I like Vey as a guy to try in that role as well. I've suggested as much. But i certainly wouldn't count on it as any kind of certainty to work out well. There are attributes there which make him a real interesting fit, as a RH shot, a passer with vision, set up guy type player who can still shoot the puck. But it's still a longshot to me at this point. I'd prefer a more concrete and conventional set.

I'm not so sure the Canucks are counting on Corrado right off the bat. There's 3 RHD on the roster without him and also 3 guys who could fill the bottom D-pair.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa/Stanton - Weber (or any combo of those 3)

I think there's a chance Corrado outplays all of those bottom three guys and forces Vancouver's hand, but what I like is that he won't HAVE to perform. If he does, great, if he doesn't, he won't be forced into a spot he isn't ready for. He can marinade in the minors a little longer and wait for an injury or try and work his way back up. Opportunity without pressure.

It really comes down to whether you think Yannick Weber is a legitimate 3rd RHD i guess. To me, he's a guy who is useful because he can play a few minutes on defence or a few minutes up front if necessary. And he has a RH shot. That's it. That leaves us with 2 RH shooting defencemen on the roster...and the best bet to take that 3rd pairing RH side spot being either Sbisa/Stanton...both lefties who are better on the left side.

It's a spot that to me, is as primed for Frankie Corrado as the #3C spot is for Linden Vey. They have to go out and earn it...but it's theirs for the taking. They want more youth in this lineup, they want someone who can play those specific roles...and they're the most obvious candidates to do so from among what we have in the organization right now.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
To the guy making that Kane proposal:

Do you honestly believe that no other team would beat that offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad