OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVII - Office Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm ok if sports stop playing the anthem before games. Sporting events are about the only time it's played...not before concerts, the opera, symphony, ballet, broadway play, circus (are those still around?), or movie theater (except on a military installation). Also not played before root canals, open heart surgery, weddings, or when I show up at work.

Athletes, their organization, the sport, nor the fans are any less patriotic for not playing it.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
When did anthems start? I think it's been a tradition in Hockey for a long time. Baseball, too. I feel like Football just recently started it maybe 20 years ago? 9/11?

I don't care about it. It makes sense in international competitions but not sure why Arizona versus St. Louis requires an anthem. I think it's kinda cool from a pump-up perspective. I mean, it can get the crowd into it. Makes it feel kinda special and official. Part of the experience. Kinda builds anticipation. But if I had season tickets, I'd probably be tired of it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
#1. Anytime you can celebrate the greatest country in world history I'm for it. And Canada is p. cool too so that's fine.

#2. The anthem isn't really for the players nor does it represent the players, it's for the crowd. So the whole "OMG IT'S NOT AN INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT" thing is not really relevant. It's more akin to saying grace before a meal than it is to anything else. You're in a civilization so free of the thousands of years of of human suffering on a scale we can't even really comprehend in the west anymore, that you can have way overpaid athletes smack a puck around, hit a ball, throw a ball, kick a ball, or whatever else for your entertainment. It's about gratitude and appreciation for what you have.

#3 The history of it is interesting but TBH I don't think it has all that much to do with what the tradition it has turned into is and whether it should continue or not.

It's certainly true that the leagues (particularly the NFL) exploit patriotism for goodwill, I'm also not really a fan of the way money changes hands on these things, but the end result is still a good.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The National Anthem has been played at baseball games since 1918. I believe it has also been apart of the NFL for a long time though the televised anthem is more recent and funded the military. Been around forever in hockey too. I am fine having no anthem at sporting events. It is not related to sports and has no impact. On the flip side I find Cuban's comments a bit b.s. as it has not been an issue prior to '16. The controversy on both sides in manufactured drama. The same people offended by it now were fine before '16 and the faux patriots weren't all standing at games prior to kneeling. There were times I would hit the concession stand during the anthem.

I just want tp gamble on the damn games and call it a day.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Anything done to help taper back the civil religion culture is a good move in my book.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
With back to back games Friday and Saturday, will Raanta get a start, or will Kuemper play both games? Thanks.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Depends if Raanta gets an owie (or still has), so probably Kuemper and Hill or Kuemper and Kuemper

If they don't bubble wrap the hell out of him next time he has a good game and trade him for the first decent offer, they're nuts. Not only is he unreliable, the few games he plays just keeps Hill from getting any experience/reps and you know we're going to need Hill at some point because Raanta's China doll body will eventually let us down.

Reactions: 0point1

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
FYI.....

Craig Morgan had his Twitter account hacked so it looks as if it’s been locked down for now.

He’s still got access to the Nattie Hattie account tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille