OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVI - The Netflix, Disney+ Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Second, there is no such thing as "white privilege"...I grew up poor, but over the course of my lifetime, I've made "smart" choices and put myself through college, put myself through MBA program and have done well for myself. Everyone that starts out as an American citizen has the same capability, it's the choices you make that determine how your life turns out.

Privilege doesn't mean you don't have to work for what you achieve, just that you have an advantage if all other factors are equal. I think race is a relatively small advantage in the U.S. (but then again...I'm white). The socio-economic status you grew up in is much more significant privilege.

Consider this: "Children in professionals' homes were exposed to an average of more than fifteen hundred more spoken words per hour than children in welfare homes. Over one year, that amounted to a difference of nearly 8 million words, which, by age four, amounted to a total gap of 32 million words." - The 32-Million Word Gap

Preparedness to enter school and perform well is much more reliant on parents and the child's surroundings during their formative years than anything government or school systems can accomplish

In some circles, the male gender provides the advantage, but in others women have the upper hand. Privilege can come from famous parents as well, or positions of power, or royal blood.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Privilege doesn't mean you don't have to work for what you achieve, just that you have an advantage if all other factors are equal. I think race is a relatively small advantage in the U.S. (but then again...I'm white). The socio-economic status you grew up in is much more significant privilege.

Consider this: "Children in professionals' homes were exposed to an average of more than fifteen hundred more spoken words per hour than children in welfare homes. Over one year, that amounted to a difference of nearly 8 million words, which, by age four, amounted to a total gap of 32 million words." - The 32-Million Word Gap

Preparedness to enter school and perform well is much more reliant on parents and the child's surroundings during their formative years than anything government or school systems can accomplish

In some circles, the male gender provides the advantage, but in others women have the upper hand. Privilege can come from famous parents as well, or positions of power, or royal blood.
I think White Privilege can be understood a bit better as a question. If you are white, ask yourself the following: "Would I prefer to be treated as I am treated by society, or to be treated as a black person is treated by society?" I'm white, and I don't make that trade. No chance. That means that I have white privilege. At least that's how I understand what it means.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think White Privilege can be understood a bit better as a question. If you are white, ask yourself the following: "Would I prefer to be treated as I am treated by society, or to be treated as a black person is treated by society?" I'm white, and I don't make that trade. No chance. That means that I have white privilege. At least that's how I understand what it means.

In America, it is generally true that caucasians are discriminated against less than other races, but to me, privilege means having an advantage at achieving a goal. Being white is not the most important privilege. Being born to the "right" parents is. Most people will remain in the same socio-economic class as their parents. It's not that avenues for upward mobility don't exist, but that poor people don't have either the means financially, or they are ill-prepared academically, or they just don't know what's out there and how to achieve it.

Bottom line: privilege and discrimination can sometimes be related, but they are not the same thing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The cop who kept his knee on Floyd's neck is a weak and insecure individual that should have his testicles gradually compressed by a vice and if that doesn't kill him, hung.

I have no problem with sympathetic whites protesting with blacks, many have such close ties that they have seen the injustices first hand. The unlawful acts are another matter and while I don't condone them and do believe they should be punished accordingly, I can sympathize with the frustration, as things unfortunately are not getting better, or at least not good enough. In their shoes, I might resort to violence myself, as the frustration mounts. Far too many blacks deal with injustice on a near daily basis and that's flat out wrong.

Think about it, the aforementioned asshole was still on the force, despite previous indiscretions, it's time to put an end to the good ol' boy network that keeps the insecure punks behind the badge. Having said that, I do understand the job of the cop is a difficult one and mistakes can / will be made, but the longer asshole cops are allowed to remain on the force, the longer it will take for the oppressed to rationalize what truly are mistakes that evolve from the impossible to near impossible situation.
What happened to Floyd was 100% wrong and can not be tolerated, but let's not forget how many good police officers are out there protecting us and are putting their life on the line every day for us. There is no way I would want to be a cop with all these a------- out there. We don't hear of all good things they do on a daily bases, but when something bad happens we group the "asshole cop" as you say, to cops in general. Some blacks deal with injustice but so do others. These riots can not be tolerated either. I don't sympathize with these "assholes" one bit and I don't give a fiddlers f--- if they are frustrated. They are breaking the law across the whole country. Burning churches, looting, stealing cars and putting innocent people in danger. If you break the law suffer the consequences, but to say you might resort to violence if you were in their shoes is wrong. America is imploding before our eyes. Violence of a third world country.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I've heard that stealing luxury watches (e.g. Rolex) is a bad idea unless you just plan on keeping all of them. They are serial numbered and reputable pawn shops and other resellers will check the value via the serial#, at which point they will find out it was stolen. Loose diamonds are much more lucrative and easier to fence...just in case you are thinking of a career change. :D

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I try to treat every person like I want to be treated. If I don't like someone, or don't care for what they stand for, I don't associate with them. There comes a time when you have to turn your cheek and move on. But to try and make yourself hear through violence is wrong regardless of nationality.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
In America, it is generally true that caucasians are discriminated against less than other races, but to me, privilege means having an advantage at achieving a goal. Being white is not the most important privilege. Being born to the "right" parents is. Most people will remain in the same socio-economic class as their parents. It's not that avenues for upward mobility don't exist, but that poor people don't have either the means financially, or they are ill-prepared academically, or they just don't know what's out there and how to achieve it.

Bottom line: privilege and discrimination can sometimes be related, but they are not the same thing.
Excellent post.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Probably a good black market for Rolex’s.

Maybe, but because they are so easily counterfeited it would be wise to run the serial #. But as you said, there probably is an underground market for stolen luxury watches.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What happened to Floyd was 100% wrong and can not be tolerated, but let's not forget how many good police officers are out there protecting us and are putting their life on the line every day for us. There is no way I would want to be a cop with all these a------- out there. We don't hear of all good things they do on a daily bases, but when something bad happens we group the "asshole cop" as you say, to cops in general. Some blacks deal with injustice but so do others. These riots can not be tolerated either. I don't sympathize with these "assholes" one bit and I don't give a fiddlers f--- if they are frustrated. They are breaking the law across the whole country. Burning churches, looting, stealing cars and putting innocent people in danger. If you break the law suffer the consequences, but to say you might resort to violence if you were in their shoes is wrong. America is imploding before our eyes. Violence of a third world country.
I never said that the majority of the cops aren't excellent at their jobs and good humans. I also said that I don't condone the lawlessness and that they should be punished accordingly. What you are overlooking here is that many of them have flat out had enough. This pathetic wimp of a human being that managed to keep his badge because of other cowards may just be the last straw. How can you say my potential to resort to violence is wrong? You can't possibly know what I would do, just as we can't fully understand the plight of black folks. You're making yourself out to be very stereotypical here.

Reactions: Sinurgy

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I don't entirely disagree but you can't leave money out of the equation. I would much rather be a rich black guy than middle class or lower white guy and I think most would but yeah if all else is equal there's no doubt that equation changes.

Reactions: rt

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Totally agree that wealth is by far the top privilege one can be born into. However there's little doubt that if two kids are born poor, one black and one white, the white kid will typically have the advantage because he is the race of the majority. I do think that last part is worth pointing out, if America was 70% black, things would be in reverse. When you're a minority, you have more to overcome. I honestly don't think that'll ever be eliminated but we can and should do a lot better in shortening that headstart.

Reactions: MIG

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

The father of that girl should feel like a severe failure but as they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. "influencers" are some of the lowest people in society, why anyone over the age of 15 would follow these hollow grifters is beyond me.

Reactions: 0point1

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Totally agree that wealth is by far the top privilege one can be born into. However there's little doubt that if two kids are born poor, one black and one white, the white kid will typically have the advantage because he is the race of the majority. I do think that last part is worth pointing out, if America was 70% black, things would be in reverse. When you're a minority, you have more to overcome. I honestly don't think that'll ever be eliminated but we can and should do a lot better in shortening that headstart.

25 years. That's about when whites cease to be a majority and become a plurality in the USA. Probably won't lose that until, oh, 2080-2090 or so.

The US will become ‘minority white’ in 2045, Census projects

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Maybe it's time to respect thy neighbor. Social media has a huge hand in what is happening in today's society. Some good, mostly bad.
Social media is the primary driver of the tribal mentality that rt was talking. It warps peoples minds by sucking them into communities where everyone "thinks" the same, constantly reinforce each others opinions and hates on whatever group they've collectively decided is deserving.

We are all susceptible to this, it's something you have to be mindful of and if you think you're immune you're naive. It's a human exploit, not an intelligence exploit. You have to consistently reevaluate yourself to make sure you're not starting to speak the language of a particular tribe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0point1 and _Del_

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
. It warps peoples minds by sucking them into communities where everyone "thinks" the same, constantly reinforce each others

Hmmm. I should probably reassess my position on Phil Kessel sucking and RT's future. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Social media is the primary driver of the tribal mentality that rt was talking. It warps peoples minds by sucking them into communities where everyone "thinks" the same, constantly reinforce each others opinions and hates on whatever group they've collectively decided is deserving.

We are all susceptible to this, it's something you have to be mindful of and if you think you're immune you're naive. It's a human exploit, not an intelligence exploit. You have to consistently reevaluate yourself to make sure you're not starting to speak the language of a particular tribe.
Like they say, you tell a lie enough times you start to think it as true yourself.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
f*** I wish!! I doubt it'll ever happen and if it does it'll be some pseudo 3rd party candidate where some Rep or Dem who couldn't hack it in their own party will switch to independent as a last ditch effort.
I'd love for a true, viable 3rd party candidate to emerge.
Third parties don't work. Have it in Canada and it just divides the vote. What you get is scum bag ex attorneys turned politicians running for three parties instead of two. All you are doing is adding to the swamp.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

So when I had previously reiterated two politicians platforms / ideals, this is what I was being accused of?
:laugh:

Talk about labeling things you don’t understand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille