Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
bdsnt_stl_12_CR.jpg

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Regarding the new 202 Loop, I come from San Tan Valley. I take Ironwood to the 60, 60 to the 10, then the 10 to the 101 North. It's a long trip.

I see now that when I get to the 60, about two miles down is the entrance to the loop 202 South, which seems to skip the congested part of the 60/10 and loop around to the deep avenues.

I haven't taken it yet, but I am interested to know if anybody from my area (East east) has taken the drive?

Will it save some time?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Regarding the new 202 Loop, I come from San Tan Valley. I take Ironwood to the 60, 60 to the 10, then the 10 to the 101 North. It's a long trip.

I see now that when I get to the 60, about two miles down is the entrance to the loop 202 South, which seems to skip the congested part of the 60/10 and loop around to the deep avenues.

I haven't taken it yet, but I am interested to know if anybody from my area (East east) has taken the drive?

Will it save some time?
Can't you get on Rittenhouse when you leave San Tan and hook up to the 202 South around Pecos or Germann

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
So weird to hear San Tan referred to as the East Valley. I mean, it's not wrong or anything, just crazy how much Phoenix metro has grown. Scottsdale used to be "East Valley" but it's basically central located now.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I drove from Mesa, Dobson Rd near the Cubs spring training facility, to Surprise. I left at 3:45 and got to the Glendale exit on the 101 at 4:27. I'm assuming that traffic was lighter being the day after Christmas, but it wasn't too bad. Hope the new section of the 202 is helping.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Finally saw The Rise of Skywalker last night. Much better than TLJ. The planet killing star ships and the Emperor's power at the end were over the top like the stupid star killer base from TLJ but other than that, I thought it was pretty good. Much better story and action. Not perfect (why did they have to go by water and not by air to get the Sith thing?) but enjoyable. Still wish they would have used some of the stories from the books where Luke has a son and Leia and Han have several kids for the final 3. That would have left room for future stories but I guess they would have had to start that a long time ago to do it right. Anyway, I'm happy I didn't walk out of the theater hating it like I did TLJ.

Just watched the last episode of The Mandalorian for season one. The show is awesome. Sucks that it's only 8 episodes. Jon Favreau is turning into one of my favorite directors; Swingers, Elf, Iron Man and now The Mandalorian.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Finally saw The Rise of Skywalker last night. Much better than TLJ. The planet killing star ships and the Emperor's power at the end were over the top like the stupid star killer base from TLJ but other than that, I thought it was pretty good. Much better story and action. Not perfect (why did they have to go by water and not by air to get the Sith thing?) but enjoyable. Still wish they would have used some of the stories from the books where Luke has a son and Leia and Han have several kids for the final 3. That would have left room for future stories but I guess they would have had to start that a long time ago to do it right. Anyway, I'm happy I didn't walk out of the theater hating it like I did TLJ.

Just watched the last episode of The Mandalorian for season one. The show is awesome. Sucks that it's only 8 episodes. Jon Favreau is turning into one of my favorite directors; Swingers, Elf, Iron Man and now The Mandalorian.

Didn't care for TLJ either. Now looking forward to seeing this one.

Reactions: RemoAZ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Didn't care for TLJ either. Now looking forward to seeing this one.

It's bad fan fiction and surprisingly gutless but it has a few brilliant moments. I would say it has the highest highs and lowest lows of the new trilogy.

Disney is lucky to have the Mandalorian right now. The movies need a nice long break and some original ideas.

Reactions: CC96

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It's bad fan fiction and surprisingly gutless but it has a few brilliant moments. I would say it has the highest highs and lowest lows of the new trilogy.

Disney is lucky to have the Mandalorian right now. The movies need a nice long break and some original ideas.

I thought Solo was good and somewhat an original idea. Too bad it didn't do well which doesn't bode well for a sequel.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I thought Solo was good and somewhat an original idea. Too bad it didn't do well which doesn't bode well for a sequel.

Solo didn't do well because no one wanted to see Han Solo played by anyone but Harrison Ford. Unfortunately they chose the wrong actor...he was good, but he doesn't resemble Harrison Ford, but there was another actor who looks exactly like a young Ford who would have been perfect and I think people would have accepted it better.

upload_2019-12-28_11-31-38.png

Anthony Ingruber

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Solo didn't do well because no one wanted to see Han Solo played by anyone but Harrison Ford. Unfortunately they chose the wrong actor...he was good, but he doesn't resemble Harrison Ford, but there was another actor who looks exactly like a young Ford who would have been perfect and I think people would have accepted it better.

Actor did a great job, actually. It was just an uninteresting story nobody asked for. Don't explain the mystery behind the mysterious rogue, especially if his corny ass naming scene is the best you can come up with. It also had a notoriously troubled production and came out way too soon after the divisive TLJ.

Lucasfilm is just bad at most everything compared to Marvel. Say whatever you want about the quality of those movies, they clearly have their formula down. It's wild both franchises exist inside the same company yet are on so different trajectories.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

There is a a Make Solo 2 campaign started on Twitter that has become pretty big. I loved Solo. TLJ sucking definitely affected the numbers of people going to see it on the big screen. There are several good Solo books. Lots of opportunities for great stories and bringing Darth Maul into it would be very interesting.

Reactions: MIG

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The Rise of Skywalker was awful. Terrible. No good. Very bad. J.J. Abrams has certainly cemented his status as a great trailer creator and an absolutely awful filmmaker.

The Mandalorian, on the other hand, is fantastic.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The guy that was the aspiring bounty hunter in The Mandalorian would have been perfect as young Solo.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Maybe someone can help me out, there seems to be a wide variety of SW opinions in here :P

I have yet to see any of the movies released after the prequels. I both like Star Wars but don't like it so much that I care about the extended canon or would read EU content and such.

#1. I hate fanservice. HAAAAAATE it. Particularly if it's done with a wink or it's obvious.
#2. I think that the sequels obviously have to undermine some or even a lot of the original trilogy to even exist at all, makes them uninteresting.

I would have been VERY interested in 2015 if they came out with a Star Wars movie that started a thousand years after the OT. I never had any desire to see old Han and Luke.

Should I stay where I am and continue avoiding them? Or are they worth watching anyway with the above considered?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Maybe someone can help me out, there seems to be a wide variety of SW opinions in here :P

I have yet to see any of the movies released after the prequels. I both like Star Wars but don't like it so much that I care about the extended canon or would read EU content and such.

#1. I hate fanservice. HAAAAAATE it. Particularly if it's done with a wink or it's obvious.
#2. I think that the sequels obviously have to undermine some or even a lot of the original trilogy to even exist at all, makes them uninteresting.

I would have been VERY interested in 2015 if they came out with a Star Wars movie that started a thousand years after the OT. I never had any desire to see old Han and Luke.

Should I stay where I am and continue avoiding them? Or are they worth watching anyway with the above considered?

I love the original 3, liked the prequals, Rogue One and really liked Solo. If you're Star Wars fan I don't know why you would just avoid the last three especially if you just stream them for free. If you're are only casual fan, I'd say the last three aren't worth watching. They are full of political statement bs which is very annoying. I thought the story in The Last Jedi was horrible. The Rise of Skywalker almost had to go out of it's way to save the story which made it tricky to say the least but I thought it was a lot better. There was less political stuff but it was still in there. The over the top stuff almost ruined it but I thought most of the acting, action and the base story was enough to make it enjoyable. The most frustrating part about the whole trilogy is there were tons of books with really good stories they could have cherry picked from to make 3 good movies. Instead they tried to mix political bs with just enough fanboy to get us original fans to watch. Of course you asked for opinions and you'll get waaaaay different ones than mine.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I love the original 3, liked Rogue One and really liked Solo. The most frustrating part about the whole trilogy is there were tons of books with really good stories they could have cherry picked from to make 3 good movies.

Exactly...way too many good books which would have made better films...I'm with you on that one.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
AZ minimum wage going up to $12.

If you currently make more than $12 are you also getting a raise? I'm guessing no.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004

If you "hate fan-service" (I do as well), avoid the Disney Star Wars projects to include The Mandalorian. The episode where he goes to Tattoine almost caused spontaneous combustion...

I don't understand why, but Star Wars is particularly plagued by writing wherein everything has to be one or two beats away from everything else.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Here's the problem with Star Wars as a whole - everything past The Empire Strikes Back ditched story in favor of fan service and establishing a canon - fleshing out a story whose original strength was in the way it piqued the imagination. Return of the Jedi was basically an attempt to fill in plot holes created by a filmmaker who had no idea he was creating a franchise. The prequels were that same filmmaker not understanding that you don't have to explain every last bit of a narrative for it to be enticing. And the last three films have been, respectively, a fan-fiction writer who thought he could tell the original story better and make it look cooler; another guy who thought the first guy's weird, overcomplicated, puzzle-box-driven story needed some spice and deconstruction; and the first guy taking a dump on the second guy and trying to prove he, the first guy, was all that and a bag of chips - all of this aided and abetted by Disney, a company looking to rake in cash like it was dead leaves.

The Star Wars universe is so imaginative and limitless that it is fertile ground for all sorts of stories - so the fact that Lucas and Abrams focused everything around a small group of five or six people and then did everything they could to explain things that didn't need explaining is just head-scratching.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Here's the problem with Star Wars as a whole - everything past The Empire Strikes Back ditched story in favor of fan service and establishing a canon - fleshing out a story whose original strength was in the way it piqued the imagination. Return of the Jedi was basically an attempt to fill in plot holes created by a filmmaker who had no idea he was creating a franchise. The prequels were that same filmmaker not understanding that you don't have to explain every last bit of a narrative for it to be enticing. And the last three films have been, respectively, a fan-fiction writer who thought he could tell the original story better and make it look cooler; another guy who thought the first guy's weird, overcomplicated, puzzle-box-driven story needed some spice and deconstruction; and the first guy taking a dump on the second guy and trying to prove he, the first guy, was all that and a bag of chips - all of this aided and abetted by Disney, a company looking to rake in cash like it was dead leaves.

The Star Wars universe is so imaginative and limitless that it is fertile ground for all sorts of stories - so the fact that Lucas and Abrams focused everything around a small group of five or six people and then did everything they could to explain things that didn't need explaining is just head-scratching.

The reason for the “prequels” was George Lucas was looking to fulfill the life story of Anakin Skywalker, which..... was the character for whom the original SW series was based upon. Lucas had outlines for the first six movies written before he chose to start with episode 4. He felt it made the best translation to the screen and wasn’t even sure the series would even take off like it did.

Everything outside of Episode 1-6 was an attempt to expand on the SW universe, but for some crazy reason there was this need to keep most of the original characters in the plot lines to sell the public on it.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Only thing that really annoyed me about the prequals is the actor who played Anakin in 2 and 3. 1 was a kid so who cares. But the other two would have been much better with a good actor. I think I read Leonardo DiCaprio was wanted to play Anakin. Could you imagine if someone like him played the character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad