OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVI - The Netflix, Disney+ Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So I took today through Friday off. Work has been killing me. Any suggestions on Netflix or Amazon shows to watch through this? I'm rewatching stranger things, planning on band of brothers rewatch, but new shows would be nice.

If you haven't seen Justified, watch Justified. (Season 1 isn't super great,the pilot is though, Season 2 + is amazing.)

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
So I took today through Friday off. Work has been killing me. Any suggestions on Netflix or Amazon shows to watch through this? I'm rewatching stranger things, planning on band of brothers rewatch, but new shows would be nice.

Newish stuff (the last 5 years or so and yes, I have no life)
A Discovery of Witches
Afterlife
Altered Carbon
American Gods
Ballers
The Boys
Billions
Carnival Row
City on a Hill
Cobra Kai
Deep State
Gotham
Jack Ryan
Knightfall
Lilyhammer
The Mandalorean
Mayans MC
The Morning Show
Narcos - All of them are good
Oazark
Peaky Blinders
Pennyworth
Project Blue Book
The Righteous Gemstones
Star Trek Discover
Star Trek Picard
Star Wars Rebels (animated)
Stranger Things
Titans
Troll Hunters (animated)
Warrior
The Witcher
Yellowstone

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Disagree. He is outstanding in it.

I'm usually in the minority, and find very few series that I like. Here's my short list:
Sneaky Pete
Silicon Valley
Barry
Jack Ryan (season 1 better than 2)
Better Call Saul.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If you want older stuff:
Almighty Johnsons
Animal Kingdom
Banshee
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Californication
Da Vinci's Demons
Deadwood
Defiance
Dexter
Hell on Wheels
Homeland
House of Lies
Justified
The last Ship
Line of Duty
Longmire
Nashville
Newsroom
Ray Donovan
Rome
Sons of Anarchy
Sopranos
Spartacus
Star Wars The Clone Wars
True Blood
Veep

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If you haven't seen Justified, watch Justified. (Season 1 isn't super great,the pilot is though, Season 2 + is amazing.)

Can I skip season 1 and go straight to 2?

Everyone says The Wire is the greatest HBO series ever. Couldn't stomach the overacting and stereotype script. "It gets better" they say. Had to stop after episode 7. How much do I have to suffer before it gets good?

Last edited:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Disagree. He is outstanding in it.
Yeah, he may be typecast (dad who wants everyone to think he's a great family man, although he is as full of it as anyone, if not more so - Marty Byrde is the dramatic version of Michael Bluth, and I just now noticed the initials), but he's good at what he does.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Science Fiction:
  • The Expanse
  • Dark

Humor/Drama:
  • Better Call Saul
  • Barry
  • Silicon Valley

Horror/Suspense:
  • The Haunting of Hillhouse

WTF?
  • Tiger King

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I tend to prefer movies over series. Probably due to my fear of commitment. :naughty:

Any good movies on the streaming services?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I still read physical books. Never tried an audiobook.
I have 1,687 hours listened on Audible. Lol. That’s 2 months 10 days 7 hours and 9 minutes.

I can’t read physical books because the only time I would have is after my 2yr old and 5yr old are In bed. If I try to read a physical book after 8:30pm, I fall immediately to sleep.

So instead I listen while I go for a job in the morning, while I get ready for work, while I drive in, on my lunch break, when I drive home, while I’m doing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen and dining room (while wife is washing kids and getting them to bed). On the weekends I listen while I’m running errands and doing chores.

I can get like 5-10hrs a week in while I multi-task. For reference Les Miserables is 1400 pages in English (one of the longest ever translated to English among popular fiction). It’s 60 hours on audible. East of Eden is 600 pages and about 25 hours on audible. Two of my favorite audio books, incidentally. The versions narrated by George Guidall.

Ive always been a person who learned best from the lectures in school, rather than the textbook at home.

I love the long ones. Especially series. I like a good 100+ hour series of novels on audible. Like the Ken Follett Century Series. Or the James Clavell Shogun series or Dan Brown Robert Langom series or John Jakes North and South series or Harry Turtledove Great War series. All of them are over 100 hours combined. All 3-5 books long.

Reactions: RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I have 1,687 hours listened on Audible. Lol. That’s 2 months 10 days 7 hours and 9 minutes.

I can’t read physical books because the only time I would have is after my 2yr old and 5yr old are In bed. If I try to read a physical book after 8:30pm, I fall immediately to sleep.

So instead I listen while I go for a job in the morning, while I get ready for work, while I drive in, on my lunch break, when I drive home, while I’m doing dishes and cleaning up the kitchen and dining room (while wife is washing kids and getting them to bed). On the weekends I listen while I’m running errands and doing chores.

I can get like 5-10hrs a week in while I multi-task. For reference Les Miserables is 1400 pages in English (one of the longest ever translated to English among popular fiction). It’s 60 hours on audible. East of Eden is 600 pages and about 25 hours on audible. Two of my favorite audio books, incidentally. The versions narrated by George Guidall.

Ive always been a person who learned best from the lectures in school, rather than the textbook at home.

I love the long ones. Especially series. I like a good 100+ hour series of novels on audible. Like the Ken Follett Century Series. Or the James Clavell Shogun series or Dan Brown Robert Langom series or John Jakes North and South series or Harry Turtledove Great War series. All of them are over 100 hours combined. All 3-5 books long.

Audiobooks might be a good option for the really long ones. I read Atlas Shrugged in about a month, but at the time lived alone and didn't have a TV. I'm currently reading the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Amazing detail and we'll researched, subsequently runs over 1100 pages. My dad told me East of Eden was the best book he's ever read, so I read it. Very good, but can't say it would be my "best ever."

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I never knew Audible had stats like that. Now I REALLY feel like I have no life. I just started using Audible a few years ago and I'm just over 2 months. I have tons of books on my computer I've downloaded over the years. I started with Harry Potter while the movies were still going. That's what got me hooked. I pretty much only do Fantasy. Harry Dresden series is probably my favorite but loved the Wheel of Time and most everything else Brandon Sanderson has done. I listen every day to and from work and before I got to sleep. The narrator makes a huge impact on whether I enjoy the books or not. All the Star Wars books Mac Thompson narrates are really good even though some are abridged. I can't listen to the Star Wars books he doesn't narrate.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I read 1 book about every 3 years or so. I struggle to grasp why I don't read more for entertainment considering I've always enjoyed it when I do. The last book I read was Snow Crash, the style was a little over the top at times but the concept was very intriguing!

rt

May 13, 2004
Audiobooks might be a good option for the really long ones. I read Atlas Shrugged in about a month, but at the time lived alone and didn't have a TV. I'm currently reading the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Amazing detail and we'll researched, subsequently runs over 1100 pages. My dad told me East of Eden was the best book he's ever read, so I read it. Very good, but can't say it would be my "best ever."
I like East of Eden a lot. I liked Les Miserables better. I liked Snow Falling on Cedars a lot. It’s below Les Miserables but it’s up there for me. Of the newer books I’ve read most recently I really liked All the Light we Cannot See, The Goldfinch, The Son, Washington Black, and Manhattan Beach.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I looked into Audible a few years ago, does it still require a subscription and then in addition you pay for whatever books you want? Also, can you share an account with every one in your household?

rt

May 13, 2004
I looked into Audible a few years ago, does it still require a subscription and then in addition you pay for whatever books you want? Also, can you share an account with every one in your household?
I pay $15/mo for 1 "credit" which equals one book of any length per month. That's it for my membership. My wife can also listen to the titles in my library and it doesn't interfere with my listening. I have recently discovered that you can buy "credit" gift cards for $10 per at the grocery store, though. So that was a nice find. I tend to get those for birthday/christmas, which is a nice supplement to my standard membership.

Even after you cancel or suspend membership, you can keep the titles in your library. I have friends who have credits pile up on them, they purchase a bunch of titles they want with the stockpile and then suspend their membership for six months.

I've never had the too many credits problem. LOL.

They also run specials and challenges. Where you can get quality titles for like $5 that you would have been happy to spend your $15 credit on. Or if you finish three titles by X date you get a $20 Amazon gift card. Or around the Holidays, get 3 "credits" for $30 or something like that. All of that is extra money you have to spend, obviously. But it all drives down the average cost per title, in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canis Latrans

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I pay $15/mo for 1 "credit" which equals one book of any length per month. That's it for my membership. My wife can also listen to the titles in my library and it doesn't interfere with my listening. I have recently discovered that you can buy "credit" gift cards for $10 per at the grocery store, though. So that was a nice find. I tend to get those for birthday/christmas, which is a nice supplement to my standard membership.

Even after you cancel or suspend membership, you can keep the titles in your library. I have friends who have credits pile up on them, they purchase a bunch of titles they want with the stockpile and then suspend their membership for six months.

I've never had the too many credits problem. LOL.

They also run specials and challenges. Where you can get quality titles for like $5 that you would have been happy to spend your $15 credit on. Or if you finish three titles by X date you get a $20 Amazon gift card. Or around the Holidays, get 3 "credits" for $30 or something like that. All of that is extra money you have to spend, obviously. But it all drives down the average cost per title, in the long run.
Thanks for the info. It sounds much more reasonable than I had originally thought.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Finally getting the most of my ESPN+ subscription. The content is amazing. Waiting for the final two episodes of The Last Dance. I've also been watching Dark Side of the Ring on Prime.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Watched some NASCAR today. Not as exciting with the cars staying 6 feet apart. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese