The All Purpose What's Up With Yakupov Thread

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Non issue IMO.

Somebody will **** the bed tonight and take over Yak's spot in the PB vs. Pittsburgh.

Crisis averted.

kinda like Perron with 2 penalties and a -3 on the night? or Hemsky whiffing on open nets, getting nothing done offensively and that play at the end of last game?

Eakins would brush those under the rug and will continue to be very happy with the group of guys he has..

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
THIS. The first thing out of a players mouth on being scratched needs to be "It's my fault, I was playing bad" not "It's the coaches decision". Nail needs to be on the same page as the rest of his teammates, it really seems like he's the only one who hasn't at least tried to buy into Eakins' system.

yup .. Yak needs to borrow Smyth's manual of media relations and not speak his mind.
The guy doesnt want to be a grinder and he let media know that. If he doesnt feel it was his fault then why lie to the media? It is the coach's job to make him understand.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
kinda like Perron with 2 penalties and a -3 on the night? or Hemsky whiffing on open nets, getting nothing done offensively and that play at the end of last game?

Eakins would brush those under the rug and will continue to be very happy with the group of guys he has..

here's the thing though, at least they created some sort of chances and were noticeable.

Yak is a bloody ghost and does absolutely nothing. the noticeable thing about Yak is that he isn't noticeable.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
here's the thing though, at least they created some sort of chances and were noticeable.

Yak is a bloody ghost and does absolutely nothing. the noticeable thing about Yak is that he isn't noticeable.

Leading the team in goal scoring last season isn't noticeable? High standards...

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
This is all about yak comments, it's easy to analyse actually. Let's say yak says the same thing as smyth when he was scrathced, i thing he would have been on the ice against the caps. i mean, there is no better way to know if the message was sent than to actually play him !!

Being scratched a second game means that eakins didn't liked his attitude/comments, and is waiting for a reaction from yak other than ''i'm not going to change my playing style"

Ironlife

Jul 13, 2011
Calgary
Some of you guys make me shake my head enough to actually make me want to post. Let me say that Yak is one of my favorite players, he has been ever since he kissed the Oiler's crest. He has shown a ton of passion for not only just playing the game, but also in the way he trains and his dedication to getting better all the time. It has been printed over and over again on this guy trains like beast and doesn't want to get off the ice... in that aspect he reminds me of Jagr.

With that being said professional athletes, especially the ones that teams rely on to score goals, should know and understand that if they don't produce they will be under the gun. As young stars that were drafted in the top of their draft for their scoring prowess they have probably been the one or one of the few players that the team relies on to win (lots of pressure there). As you can imagine the defense/goalies that they play against are not always NHL quality (they could be later on but at that moment in time they are not there yet), or if they are, they are few and far between, which leads to better scoring chances, which then leads to more goals, which can boost ones confidence and get a "kick start" in getting out of a slump. To often in the NHL the younger offensive players don't have the luxury of getting a kick start or a boost in confidence against players that are so far below their skill level its not even funny. Which in turn can lead to a few game without a point, which then can turn into being in a slump and then a decrease in ones confidence.

Take a step back from your keyboard and think for a second. Is it going to do more harm to the young player's confidence/development to run around the ice and accomplish nothing, get sat for long periods of the game, and then chewed out by impatient fans because he isn't producing or sit in the pressbox for a few games and watch how other players play the game from a different angle and take mental or written notes on the system, or on how the vets on both teams play, or just how the game went in general. (someone posted that Stamkos was sat early in his career, did that hurt his play?) Sure they have video replays of all the games, and I am sure they go over them with a fine toothed comb, but it adds a different element to it, and allows the player to step back and think when they get to watch it from the PB.

Honestly you guys, you really think Yak should take the spot of Brown or Gadzic? If he did, the same people would be complaining that he is playing 4th line minutes and playing with goons and players that can't play the game on his level, and then people would say that they are killing his development. It would be nice if we could run 4 scoring lines and that they could all play equal minutes, but that doesn't even work in NHL 13. If he was on the top 2 lines, people would complain that he isn't scoring, and that he is ahead of Ebs and Hemsky on the depth chart and the puck is dying on his stick. He is adjusting to a new coach, a new system, a new way of the coach trying to deliver messages. HE IS YOUNG give the kid time to make his way onto a team that has a ton of young skilled forwards that are all older then him and have proven more and have put the time in to get to the place where they are today.

The coaches/management aren't looking to kill his passion or ruin the guys career, they are looking out for him and the team, both short term and long term.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Yak wasn't Russian this discussion wouldn't even be raised.

Good Lord you people need some sedatives. I hate to say it, but Yak was absolute garbage against Montreal. Sure I didn't like the idea at the time, but the team played well against Toronto and would've had 2 points if not for a certain "ooooooh"ing netminder.

Smyth responded well to his benching, and this is a guy that motivated Nazem Kadri to be the player he is today.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And you think Hall with his continued toe-drags and cross-ice passes resulting in turnovers IS listening to the coach. Gimme a break - to me Hall seems the most hard-headed out of all the youngsters.

Hall is on a short leash IMO. That said he's a PPG while having played far from his best hockey. If Hall doesn't start playing better I could see him getting the PB treatment. Eberle IMO was VERY close to getting a seat from up high but he had a very good game against the Leafs.

or maybe he doesn't want to listen what the coach is telling him.

Igor Eronko @IgorEronko
#Neftekhimik HC: ‘Nail’s father saw possible future problems back in summer’ #Oilers #NHL #KHL

So they were already thinking negatively about the situation before the puck was dropped. :shakehead

For everyone that thinks that Nail is 100% innocent in this and that it's all the big bad coach and the fact that he's not a good ole' Canadian boy I give you this.....

Nail Yakupov said:
“I’m going to play my game,†he said. “I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.â€

This is bordering on "Rob Schremp hockey". Yet if Nail was an American he'd be getting **** stomped here by some of the same fans that are coming to his aid because he is a Russian.

He needs to play how the coaching staff instructs him to play, if he doesn't want to play within a system that the coach has devised then he doesn't sound like a guy that you can win with unless you shelter the hell out of him at ES and hope that he's an elite PP performer which BTW we already have a few of on this club.

The bottom line is that Nail needs to pull his head out of his ass and start playing better defensively and get in on the forecheck if that's what the coach wants.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This isn't last season. This is this season. Your past accomplishments mean nothing in the new year.

Not sure I 100% agree, but even if true, calling Yakupov an unnoticeable ghost isn't fair either. He's hit posts and had some good games.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I think its a fresh change, a coach that is trying to right the ship. He could let Nail struggle on ice or let him see what he needs to do. I dont think yakupovs comments are as harsh as they sound, broken english can sound very brash to us. Nail is like a wild horse with a ton of energy and power but doesnt have the structure to his game, once he has some of that structure he will see the results for himself.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Yak played as many pre season games as any but never once got skilled linemates.. The same carried over to regular season.. How hard was it to swap Smyth with Yak in one preseason game and give him legit offensive linemates. Yakupov is not going to turn into Ryan Jones... Eakins and Oilers need to understand it.

I agree that Yak has looked completely lost on ice on numerous occasions and deserved the benching. But he isnt the only one.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Hall is on a short leash IMO. That said he's a PPG while having played far from his best hockey. If Hall doesn't start playing better I could see him getting the PB treatment. Eberle IMO was VERY close to getting a seat from up high but he had a very good game against the Leafs.

So they were already thinking negatively about the situation before the puck was dropped.
:shakehead

For everyone that thinks that Nail is 100% innocent in this and that it's all the big bad coach and the fact that he's not a good ole' Canadian boy I give you this.....

This is bordering on "Rob Schremp hockey". Yet if Nail was an American he'd be getting **** stomped here by some of the same fans that are coming to his aid because he is a Russian.

He needs to play how the coaching staff instructs him to play, if he doesn't want to play within a system that the coach has devised then he doesn't sound like a guy that you can win with unless you shelter the hell out of him at ES and hope that he's an elite PP performer which BTW we already have a few of on this club.

The bottom line is that Nail needs to pull his head out of his ass and start playing better defensively and get in on the forecheck if that's what the coach wants.

this is the part that concerns me really.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

The difference of course being that no one should lose their spot in the lineup because of 1 poor game. While Nail was playing like garbage the two that you just pointed out were carrying the mail. Had Eberle played like a ghost last game he would've been the guy that I would've PB'd in favor of Nail, instead he had by far his best game of the season.

Like another poster said, someone won't play well tonight and more than likely they will be sat in favor of Nail. Unless of course Nail comes out and says that he isn't going to change again in which case all bets are off and we might have seen the last of Nail in an Oilers jersey which would be sad but maybe a blessing in disguise.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not sure I 100% agree, but even if true, calling Yakupov an unnoticeable ghost isn't fair either. He's hit posts and had some good games.

He shouldn't be getting outscored by the likes of Gazdic and Petry. Smyth has shown drive in his last game, why can't Yakupov do the same? Sure he's had chances, but he's also been a disaster defensively.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Yak played as many pre season games as any but never once got skilled linemates.. The same carried over to regular season.. How hard was it to swap Smyth with Yak in one preseason game and give him legit offensive linemates. Yakupov is not going to turn into Ryan Jones... Eakins and Oilers need to understand it.

I agree that Yak has looked completely lost on ice on numerous occasions and deserved the benching. But he isnt the only one.

Good point. Who has played more minutes on the top line, is it I can't skate any more Smyth or I drive possession stats Yak?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

So they were already thinking negatively about the situation before the puck was dropped. :shakehead

He needs to play how the coaching staff instructs him to play, if he doesn't want to play within a system that the coach has devised then he doesn't sound like a guy that you can win with unless you shelter the hell
out of him at ES and hope that he's an elite PP performer which BTW we already have a few of on this club.

That is not the system coach wants out of the whole team... just the grind line
Hall with his billion minutes per night has a whopping total of 3 hits on the season. Gordon has 4 and Yak 5. There are a lot more players that need to get their heads out of that dark smelly place. Pretty much everyone that got an A

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He shouldn't be getting outscored by the likes of Gazdic and Petry. Smyth has shown drive in his last game, why can't Yakupov do the same? Sure he's had chances, but he's also been a disaster defensively.

he needs to play with better line mates.

the 2 guys he was playing with that were outscoring him are anchoring him down.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Good point. Who has played more minutes on the top line, is it I can't skate any more Smyth or I drive possession stats Yak?

I dislike Smyth more than anyone else here but he had a very good game last game. All because he went to the net, something Yak has yet to do.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Chasing a player out of town checklist:

Media creating unnecessary rumors (Friend of a friend of family said ""): Check

Media making player look bad (Spinning quotes, misquoting etc): Check

Overblowing a non-issue (being benched): Check

Media gullibility turning mass on player: 40%

Am I missing anything?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I agree with the bolded. And as I said IMO Hall and Eberle should be on short leashes and in Eberle's case he may have just barely escaped the guillotine with his strong play last game. The biggest difference however is we don't know what they say to the coach, how hard they are working in practice to fix deficiencies, etc. All that I do know is that Nail is our worst defensive forward that doesn't play on the 4th line so he has work to do.

this is the part that concerns me really.

Yeah it almost sounds to me like at the first sign of trouble that they want him to move onto greener pastures. That would really suck but it could be a blessing in disguise depending on the trade return.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
If in fact Nail doesn't get it yet, and only wants to play his game, should Eakins then change the complete system to suit Nail?
C'mon folks this is temporary and I'm pretty sure we will play the Caps again sometime. Hopefully at that time he will have his game back and be able to really impress his idol Ovi.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The difference of course being that no one should lose their spot in the lineup because of 1 poor game. While Nail was playing like garbage the two that you just pointed out were carrying the mail. Had Eberle played like a ghost last game he would've been the guy that I would've PB'd in favor of Nail, instead he had by far his best game of the season.

Like another poster said, someone won't play well tonight and more than likely they will be sat in favor of Nail. Unless of course Nail comes out and says that he isn't going to change again in which case all bets are off and we might have seen the last of Nail in an Oilers jersey which would be sad but maybe a blessing in disguise.

the same excuse could be made next game too... if Smyth or Hall struggle... o but they were carrying the mail when Yak was doing nothing.. The fact that Hemsky struggled last game remains. Brown didnt get anything done either... Gazdic is not needed vs WSH.
It doesnt matter who plays good or bad.. it will come down to Eakins vs Yak.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Eberle played like trash until last game too. Yakupov's game isn't driving the net and scoring greasy goals just like Smyth's isn't sniping it from the hash marks. And disaster defensively doesn't mean much when your goalie lets in every shot. How is RNH's +/-?

Yak need to play with players that compliment his game at this point. He is young and hasn't even had a full season of games yet. Put him on Hall's RW with RNH in the middle and he'll be outscoring most of the team again shortly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad