The All Purpose What's Up With Yakupov Thread

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
the guy has hit like 3 posts and is averaging the 4th most shots/game on the team... he is producing offence just fine actually, he just hasn't had any puck luck, so he is pressing more than he should

yes, i'll agree that he is often a defensive liability, but no more than eberle is to be honest

if you want to argue that yakupov is a lesser player than gazdic/brown/smyth/joensuu, you go right ahead and do so, i'm not going to stop yourself from looking foolish... and if eakins also believes this, then yes, he is 100% an idiot - end of story

Youve never seen a coach send a message before? Yak needs to snap out of it and start playing the right way. He did it late in last season so it is in him and he has a couple games to watch and find it again. He isnt going to be in the press box for the remainder of the season so i dont understand the madness.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
the guy has hit like 3 posts and is averaging the 4th most shots/game on the team... he is producing offence just fine actually, he just hasn't had any puck luck, so he is pressing more than he should

yes, i'll agree that he is often a defensive liability, but no more than eberle is to be honest

if you want to argue that yakupov is a lesser player than gazdic/brown/smyth/joensuu, you go right ahead and do so, i'm not going to stop yourself from looking foolish... and if eakins also believes this, then yes, he is 100% an idiot - end of story

I'm foolish because I don't believe in flaming the coach for sitting the young kid who has been struggling.

Are you for real?

What's his stat line this season compared to Eberle? I mean goals and assists. Points. Where it matters.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm foolish because I don't believe in flaming the coach for sitting the young kid who has been struggling.

Are you for real?

What's his stat line this season compared to Eberle? I mean goals and assists. Points. Where it matters.

Looking at only pt totals is a very short sighted approach.

Yakupov while on the ice is still significantly outshooting the opposition as recorded per his Corsi #s. This leads me to suggest he is just in a minor scoring slump, which is evident by his ridiculously low team on-ice sh% of 3.70 (2nd last on team) In reference, the team shot at 11.11% when he was on the ice last season.

TL;DR: Yakupov is in an unsustainable scoring slump ATM and shouldn't be punished for it IMO.

Anyone remember 2 years back when Hall was in a massive slump to start the season, while Seguin was a PPG player? I'd love to have read the posts during that time frame.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Looking at only pt totals is a very short sighted approach.

Yakupov while on the ice is still significantly outshooting the opposition as recorded per his Corsi #s. This leads me to suggest he is just in a minor scoring slump, which is evident by his ridiculously low team on-ice sh% of 3.70 (2nd last on team) In reference, the team shot at 11.11% when he was on the ice.

TL;DR: Yakupov is in an unsustainable scoring slump ATM and shouldn't be punished for it IMO.

Anyone remember 2 years back when Hall was in a massive slump to start the season, while Seguin was a PPG player? I'd love to have read the posts during that time frame.

Yak had multiple controller disconnected moments to start the year, that led to goals against. The problem isn't the Oilers are unable to score...it's the other column.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
you've never heard of a goal scorer being in a scoring drought, but yet still hitting a lot of posts and getting a lot of shots off? really? did you start watching hockey just this year? this is very common for most goal scorers, and even moreso when they are young

you are foolish for the above comment about "where it matters", because clearly you only look at the G, A, P stats... you are also foolish because you back a coach who sits our best pure goal scorer for 4th line plugs that are all but useless

Ugh, this is one of those "just stop posting" moments in case you missed on it...

You seem to be missing some very simple and key points about why Yak was benched and how that relates to the "4th line plugs". His play has nothing to do with theirs, and theirs nothing to do with him. They are on the roster for different reasons and it's not as though Eakins was looking at his options and actually debating whether Yak or Brown would be a better start. Everyone has a role on the team, Yaks being to score goals and be at least respectable at 2 way play. His 2 way play has been non existent and so have the goals regardless of chances, therefore he is sitting until he develops that part of the game. He is a young player (could almost call him a rookie still since last season was only 48 games) and it's very normal for guys like him to sit in the press box. Stamkos and countless others have been there and it's better for them in the long run (82 game season, the remaining 70+ are more important than 2 games early on).

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Eakins is an idiot trying to make a point at the expense of a young kid who is probably a social outsider on the team. Easy to bench Yak, would he ever do the same to one of the Canadian kids with some promise? Probably not.
Pathetic. The guys already digging his own grave as a head coach.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I wonder how Eberle would be doing playing 10 min a night on the 3rd or 4th line game. Sitting Yak's is a foolish move, as it just adds to his frustration. There is no lesson to be learned here, other than don't try to do too much on your own ... make sure you distribute the puck to plugs who can't take a pass, or will immediately turn it over.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
People are talking about Yak saying somethings in the media that were not appropriate. Anyone have any links? I tried to find some but only found the 22 second interview

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yak had multiple controller disconnected moments to start the year, that led to goals against. The problem isn't the Oilers are unable to score...it's the other column.

Yakupov does a better job preventing scoring chances (shots against) than most of the other Oilers according to the Corsi stat.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Eakins is an idiot. Thats what happens when you hire a coach from junior. He has to prove himself an establish some authority and is doing it by going after the mose defenceless guy in the room.
Its completely pathetic, but he is doing himself a disservice. If Katz\Lowe made the Yak pick, I cant imagine they are impressed by this.

You know what's makes this look bad? You don't even know where Eakins coached last.

Get your facts straight.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
instead of putting yak on the 3rd line to play a defensive type game with boyd gordon he should be flying beside hall like he was at teh end of last year when he scored 11 gs in teh last 18 games or so.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He's 19 years old, less than 60 games into his NHL career, gets terrible ice time and gets scratched.
How can that possibly help the guys confidence?

Could the Oilers be shopping him?
If so for who, what?

I think the Oilers should be patient..give the guy some time he'll come around soon enough..plays the most physical of any of the young guys and his effort is always there..just goin through a mini sophomore slump. Happens, he's far to good to give up on at this point.

I think Dallas Eakins should get scratched before Yakupov next time.

Just relax, and and stop with the silly "the sky is falling" hyperbole. Young guys sometimes need a change of pace to settle them down. This is only the beginning of his 2nd year, and you could almost call it the 2nd half of his first year, based on a shortened season last year. Steve Stamkos sat out some time early in his career. He seemed to turn out okay. They are being patient with him. It's why he's sitting. He needs some time to settle down and see the game from a different perspective. He was a hot mess out there.

<mod edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Intentional or not, scratching a player signals that a player might be tradable. MacT is the new GM and might look at Yak as the asset most worthy of moving to address other needs.

Goalie or no 1-2 D might be the get and Yak the bait...

I for one don't see how Mike Brown helps you win a hockey game more than Yakupov. How does a player go from the finish he had to a healthy scratch 5 games in?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yak benched cause he doesn't play a 2-way game yet the Oilers gave up 6 goals last game...makes zero sense

He's probably fuming he can't play against Ovechkin

Guess you didn't see or read about the Leaf game. Dubnyk was the major reason they allowed 6 goals. Team played pretty well.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
stupid move by Eakins to scratch Yak vs WSH.
This is his HNIC... playing against Ovy and the other Russians wouldve been a dream.

It is like scratching Hall or Eberle last game..

Not constructive.

Willy Lindstrom

Nov 25, 2008
“I’m going to play my game,†he said. “I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.â€

This tells me he doesn't get it....yet.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
All these people calling Eakins stupid and stuff, I really have one question? Where are you currently coaching? You seem to know so much about the inner workings of a hockey dressing room, and know exactly why people get benched or get ice time. I'm amazed that Katz just didn't hire a hfOil coaching staff or would that have been nepotism of some kind?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Intentional or not, scratching a player signals that a player might be tradable. MacT is the new GM and might look at Yak as the asset most worthy of moving to address other needs.

Goalie or no 1-2 D might be the get and Yak the bait...

I for one don't see how Mike Brown helps you win a hockey game more than Yakupov. How does a player go from the finish he had to a healthy scratch 5 games in?

What an absolute load of crap, to the bolded. Tons of young guys get sat in their career. Has nothing to do with them being on the block. Some of you think progress and maturity is all linear. Life doesn't work that way. There are peaks and valleys, and this is a valley. Yak will learn from this and come of it a better person and player. Just because Yak lit it up last year in the last 3 games in garbage time, doesn't mean he heads into a season 6 months later to do the exact same thing. That is the biggest problem with young, inexperienced players. Inconsistency. And that is what he needs time to find.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->