The All Purpose What's Up With Yakupov Thread

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
He's 19 years old, less than 60 games into his NHL career, gets terrible ice time and gets scratched.
How can that possibly help the guys confidence?

Could the Oilers be shopping him?
If so for who, what?

I think the Oilers should be patient..give the guy some time he'll come around soon enough..plays the most physical of any of the young guys and his effort is always there..just goin through a mini sophomore slump. Happens, he's far to good to give up on at this point.

I think Dallas Eakins should get scratched before Yakupov next time.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
I think it's pretty obvious why he was scratched. He was brutal in the Montreal game, both with and without the puck....and hasn't been all that great in the previous games. Eakins is using him as an example to the rest of the team, if you don't perform and have mental lapses, you'll be held accountable and sit. I'm hoping after been scratched he gets some solid ice time in the top 6 for a better chance to succeed.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Montreal game was probably the worst game Yakupov has played in the NHL. With that being said, I still wouldn't have scratched him. He's going thru a mini slumo that he just needs to play thru, Would also help if he had consistent linemates.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
yeah, I think it's obvious why he was scratched, but I dunno if I agree with it.

then again Smyth was scratched and is suddenly not useless, so who knows!

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Eakins really is saying the right things with him though, so I'm in favour of the scratch. Really sounds like Eakins sees a lot of potential in him and wants to develop him into it. This is part of that process.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He was scratched because he hasn't been good enough. His play away from the puck has been very bad and his play with the puck has been very bad. Other than hitting the post against the New Jersey game, he hasn't done anything offensively dangerous. He either a) wasn't competing hard enough or b) wasn't competing smart enough.

As you said, he's a 19 year old 60 games into his career. Maybe a seat in the press box is what he needs.

Also, for those saying garbage line mates.
Gordon 3 goals 1 assist 4 points
Smyth 3 goals 1 assist 4 points
Yakupov 0 0 0

Yakupov needs to be able to play good hockey regardless of who he is put with. He hasn't been able to do that. He plays better he'll stay in the lineup.

Keep in mind that Eakins scratched Kadri in the AHL last year because of similar problems. He ended up having a pretty fine year.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hopefully this is what makes Yak tick and hopefully click.
Yakupov looked lost in the games he played... Eberle as well..
I think part of why Ebs picked up his game was the same fear of getting embarassed. Yak can brush off a trip to PB.. a lot more brows would be raised if 6M dollar canadian boy got PB'd on hockey night in canada.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He was scratched because he hasn't been good enough. His play away from the puck has been very bad and his play with the puck has been very bad. Other than hitting the post against the New Jersey game, he hasn't done anything offensively dangerous. He either a) wasn't competing hard enough or b) wasn't competing smart enough.

As you said, he's a 19 year old 60 games into his career. Maybe a seat in the press box is what he needs.

Also, for those saying garbage line mates.
Gordon 3 goals 1 assist 4 points
Smyth 3 goals 1 assist 4 points
Yakupov 0 0 0

Yakupov needs to be able to play good hockey regardless of who he is put with. He hasn't been able to do that. He plays better he'll stay in the lineup.

Keep in mind that Eakins scratched Kadri in the AHL last year because of similar problems. He ended up having a pretty fine year.

The fans using the linemates excuse remind me of the Omark cult....

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
SLUMPING STAMKOS A HEALTHY SCRATCH FOR BOLTS
THE CANADIAN PRESS 1/9/2009 10:08:41 PM

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Steven Stamkos, the No. 1 overall pick in the NHL draft, was scratched from Tampa Bay's lineup for the first time this season to build up his strength after a 16-game stretch in which he had only one goal and two assists.

Stamkos, who turns 19 on Feb. 7, led all rookies with 84 shots on goal entering Friday night's game against the Anaheim Ducks. A club spokesman said the six-foot, 180-pound centre will be given a game off here and there during the rest of the season.

The club wants him to work on his conditioning, and said he won't sit out consecutive games....

...even Stamkos was a scratch in his rookie year.

Yakupov will use this as motivation to not get scratched again.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Hall - Yak need to be tried. The duo clicked last season and could work again. Might make Hall change his game a bit as well. One on 3's just arent working .

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yak can brush off a trip to PB.. a lot more brows would be raised if 6M dollar canadian boy got PB'd on hockey night in canada.
You think so? The commentators on the stream I was watching made mention of a player (can't for the life of me remember who it was now) who specifically got benched in Toronto because it was a game in Toronto and the coach wanted the benching to be all the more significant to the player.

I didn't watch the Montreal game so I can't say that he deserved to be benched because I thought he played well enough for early season form in the games I watched. Sure his d is suspect, but we all knew that from last season.

Unless I miss my guess the kid is going to come out and play like he's rocket powered on Monday.

* Thanks Booyakasha ... I live a few time zones away and get the days mixed up sometimes. My bad.

Last edited:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
You think so? The commentators on the stream I was watching made mention of a player (can't for the life of me remember who it was now) who specifically got benched in Toronto because it was a game in Toronto and the coach wanted the benching to be all the more significant to the player.

I didn't watch the Montreal game so I can't say that he deserved to be benched because I thought he played well enough for early season form in the games I watched. Sure his d is suspect, but we all knew that from last season.

Unless I miss my guess the kid is going to come out and play like he's rocket powered on Tuesday.

Why not Monday?..

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Because management wanted to send a message, along with punishing Yak because he wasn't producing. But the funny thing is we would've won that Leafs game if it wasn't for Flubnyk and Yak not playing. I know Yakupov and he will be fired up after being scratched, and will have a Hatty next game.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't think there is any need to react so adversely to Yak getting scratched. It's one game, he had been struggling and I like what Eakins said about them needing to "hit the reset button" with him. Sure he hasn't been getting much ice time and so on, but he needs to start grasping the D zone coverage that Eakins wants. I'm sure he will and then he will see quality ice time accordingly. Steven Stamkos got healthy scratched a couple games in his first season, no need to panic. He'll be back in the linup tomorrow I'm sure.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
As Eakins said in his interview, he likes Yak, and has a lot of time for him but he's struggling and te damage has to stop sooner rather than later so he sat him out so he could get his head back in the game.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
He's a young player learning his ropes in the NHL. It's not the worst thing for him to sit a game or two and see things from a different angle.
Eakins has been very consistent in holding players accountable (as we saw with Smyth earlier), which is a good thing. Yakupov will be fine long term.

Oct 30, 2011
Is he going to be scratched next game?

That's the real question.

He just seems like a man on an island right now. That's the impression I got from the interviews today.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm glad he was scratched. He's played poorly and should face the consequences.

Besides, Eakins is right about giving these players that are being PBed a different look at the game. They need to see the big picture as well.

Just because he's a number 1 pick and a fan favorite should not give him total amnesty from the Press Box.

The kid has to step up.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This can be media spin, but this quote from Yakupov sure makes it sound like he's not buying in.

“I’m going to play my game,†he said. “I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.â€

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...ov+fumes+under+coach+rules/9033031/story.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad