The All Purpose What's Up With Yakupov Thread

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
All these people calling Eakins stupid and stuff, I really have one question? Where are you currently coaching? You seem to know so much about the inner workings of a hockey dressing room, and know exactly why people get benched or get ice time. I'm amazed that Katz just didn't hire a hfOil coaching staff or would that have been nepotism of some kind?

We as fan have opinions. We don't need to be coaches.. I am however a lvl 3 coach but it makes no difference.
I just know that this is more than just another game to Yak and there are many other players that could have been scratched. Lets see how things unfold. Hopefully for the good.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
stupid move by Eakins to scratch Yak vs WSH.
This is his HNIC... playing against Ovy and the other Russians wouldve been a dream.

It is like scratching Hall or Eberle last game..

Not constructive.

So he should be treated like a child and be allowed to play against Ovi because he really really wants to?

How about no, that would be about as effective a way to get him to play a complete game as simply not scratching him at all. Accountability is key.

Jun 22, 2009
All these people calling Eakins stupid and stuff, I really have one question? Where are you currently coaching? You seem to know so much about the inner workings of a hockey dressing room, and know exactly why people get benched or get ice time. I'm amazed that Katz just didn't hire a hfOil coaching staff or would that have been nepotism of some kind?

Eakins is an idiot just like Kruger was. I just want a real hockey coach. Not a motivational speaking *****, or a guy who should be in strongmen competitions not behind an nhl bench.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Eakins is an idiot just like Kruger was. I just want a real hockey coach. Not a motivational speaking *****, or a guy who should be in strongmen competitions not behind an nhl bench.

Hate to break it to you, but both guys are real hockey coaches.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So he should be treated like a child and be allowed to play against Ovi because he really really wants to?

How about no, that would be about as effective a way to get him to play a complete game as simply not scratching him at all. Accountability is key.
well if that is the key then why did Eberle get to play against Tor? He had done **** all this season prior to that game. Scratched him for one game.. that got the point across.. To continue on for a second game that means a lot to the kid shows that the rest of the team must be on a tear without him and there is nothing wrong with anyone else.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
IMO Eakins picked an easy target... a big name that wont get him on the bad side of media\fans\organization but will help put fear\accountability on other skill players.

Yak scratching seemingly got Eberle going.. lets see if this gets others tuned into Eakins' system

Sloth Slothersons*

IMO Eakins picked an easy target... a big name that wont get him on the bad side of media\fans\organization but will help put fear\accountability on other skill players.

Yak scratching seemingly got Eberle going.. lets see if this gets others tuned into Eakins' system

Definitely easier than sitting Hall or Eberle, but he's also been worse than both of them. We should ice the best team possible every game. Our forwards were good last game. Goaltending was the problem (and some defensive lapses).

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

A valid argument, but it's now been 2 games and the team doesn't really need a guy like Brown against the Caps.

Yak won't get more accountable sitting in the pressbox. He needs to play to do so.

Sloth Slothersons*

instead of putting yak on the 3rd line to play a defensive type game with boyd gordon he should be flying beside hall like he was at teh end of last year when he scored 11 gs in teh last 18 games or so.

He can earn that spot.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
He can earn that spot.

Hemsky and Smyth did nothing to earn spots with Hall before training camp. They were two of our worst forwards last season who got to play with our best player because of their vet cred. Yak has gotten the short straw for linemates that can compliment his game all season.

Yak needs to play with someone that can carry the puck with speed and set him of in prime shooting locations. That means, Hall, RNH, or Hemsky for now. Give him one or more of those players to skate with regularly and he'll earn a spot in a couple of games.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Definitely easier than sitting Hall or Eberle, but he's also been worse than both of them. We should ice the best team possible every game. Our forwards were good last game. Goaltending was the problem (and some defensive lapses).

That is what Eakins said as well in his interview..
"I really liked our group of forwards last game. We'll stick with the same group." @dallaseakins

I guess that is a big green signal for MacT to trade away Yak. If the best team possible in the coach's mind does not include him then use him as a trade bait.

As a fan my best team possible will have Yak on the top line.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm pretty sure the original plan was for Yakupov to play this game and for Smyth to sit. Thing is, Smyth had his best game in years against Toronto so you can't sit him or move him to the 4th line and sit Brown. With the log jam at right wing this year Yakupov will be getting minimum minutes until Hemsky is traded at the deadline.

DesiFever

Sep 17, 2006
City of Champs
I think Wyshynski says it best why its Yak getting scratched and not, for example, Hall who we'd all agree is making the same selfish mistakes.

"He’s not Eberle, Hall or Nugent-Hopkins. He’s not a Canadian darling. He’s a brash young Russian star that Eakins can easily burn at the stake without catching hell from the media. It's assumed he has rough edges, and it's assumed that Eakins is doing the right thing for his game and his attitude."

To me its a joke. Its this whole idea of xenophobia that exists here in this country - that how dare we bench the good ol' Canadian boy when we have the evil Russian sitting there.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I think Wyshynski says it best why its Yak getting scratched and not, for example, Hall who we'd all agree is making the same selfish mistakes.

"He’s not Eberle, Hall or Nugent-Hopkins. He’s not a Canadian darling. He’s a brash young Russian star that Eakins can easily burn at the stake without catching hell from the media. It's assumed he has rough edges, and it's assumed that Eakins is doing the right thing for his game and his attitude."

To me its a joke. Its this whole idea of xenophobia that exists here in this country - that how dare we bench the good ol' Canadian boy when we have the evil Russian sitting there.

or maybe he doesn't want to listen what the coach is telling him.

Igor Eronko @IgorEronko
#Neftekhimik HC: ‘Nail’s father saw possible future problems back in summer’ #Oilers #NHL #KHL

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reading Nail's comments after being scratched last game clearly the message was NOT received by Nail.

Had Eberle not played better he likely would've been next on the HS list. The bottom line here IMO is that Nail hasn't played all that well and has tried to do too much by himself and as a result he has made some bad turnovers. People can complain about the 4th line all that you want but they have a role out there and they've been doing it pretty well. If Nail did play there and only played 5 minutes people would ***** at that too. That said when he does get back in it should be on a scoring line which likely means that Hemsky drops to the Perron line for at least a game. The next guy that I'd like to see HS'd is Hall the next time that he has a game full of turnovers and bad plays. Hopefully Yakupov comes back on Tuesday with a lot of pep in his step because we'll need it against Pittsburgh.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

What a brilliant idea.

Do you know how much the Oilers can save if they just give the assistant coaches ipads and the posters on HFOil can call the game from the bench!

Time to think outside the box Oilers!

DesiFever

Sep 17, 2006
City of Champs
or maybe he doesn't want to listen what the coach is telling him.

Igor Eronko @IgorEronko
#Neftekhimik HC: ‘Nail’s father saw possible future problems back in summer’ #Oilers #NHL #KHL

And you think Hall with his continued toe-drags and cross-ice passes resulting in turnovers IS listening to the coach. Gimme a break - to me Hall seems the most hard-headed out of all the youngsters.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
And you think Hall with his continued toe-drags and cross-ice passes resulting in turnovers IS listening to the coach. Gimme a break - to me Hall seems the most hard-headed out of all the youngsters.

Please do not compare Yakupov to Hall...when the only arguement you have to defend your player is to knock down the abilities of another, shows insecurity, and proves you're losing the battle.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That is what Eakins said as well in his interview..
"I really liked our group of forwards last game. We'll stick with the same group." @dallaseakins

I guess that is a big green signal for MacT to trade away Yak. If the best team possible in the coach's mind does not include him then use him as a trade bait.

As a fan my best team possible will have Yak on the top line.

What kind of a message does it send when you scratch guys that were producing? So we pull out Smyth after he pots 2 goals, mixed messages much? Yak when he is playing at his best is a top 6 player, this year he hasn't been very good. When he comes back in he needs to produce and work his way up the lineup. If Hemsky was playing a lazy style his ass would be stapled to the PB, but he's been working as hard as I've ever seen him.

I'm pretty sure the original plan was for Yakupov to play this game and for Smyth to sit. Thing is, Smyth had his best game in years against Toronto so you can't sit him or move him to the 4th line and sit Brown. With the log jam at right wing this year Yakupov will be getting minimum minutes until Hemsky is traded at the deadline.

My take as well. Although I'm not 100% sure that we're dealing Hemsky at this point in time.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Reading Nail's comments after being scratched last game clearly the message was NOT received by Nail.

Had Eberle not played better he likely would've been next on the HS list. The bottom line here IMO is that Nail hasn't played all that well and has tried to do too much by himself and as a result he has made some bad turnovers. People can complain about the 4th line all that you want but they have a role out there and they've been doing it pretty well. If Nail did play there and only played 5 minutes people would ***** at that too. That said when he does get back in it should be on a scoring line which likely means that Hemsky drops to the Perron line for at least a game. The next guy that I'd like to see HS'd is Hall the next time that he has a game full of turnovers and bad plays. Hopefully Yakupov comes back on Tuesday with a lot of pep in his step because we'll need it against Pittsburgh.

THIS. The first thing out of a players mouth on being scratched needs to be "It's my fault, I was playing bad" not "It's the coaches decision". Nail needs to be on the same page as the rest of his teammates, it really seems like he's the only one who hasn't at least tried to buy into Eakins' system.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I think Nail is a lot smarter than his recent comments let on....and that people are reading a lot into a guy who is only vaguely trying to explain that he has work to do and that work involves being a dynamic player.

Sethis

May 9, 2004

Come off it, man.

Yakupov has played half a season to Hall and Eberle's 3. He has zero points coming off a 30 point season, while those two have delivered point-a-game seasons. He's been with the team for less than a year and is still learning to be accountable in his own end, those two have proven to be good 3-zone players when they are operating at their average capacity.

The fact that he is sitting over them is NOT the issue. Hemsky and Perron are absolved as well because they have more completeness to their game and have operated well in Eakins' system. Joensuu drew in after injury and is a player type we desperately need in the line up. Smyth just turned back the clock ten years with a two goal game.

The issue should be with face punchers like Gazdic and Brown drawing in before him. There is no way you can convince me we have a better chance of winning with Brown getting 6 minutes of icetime to skate around hitting people and being useless than we would ith Yakupov getting those same 6 minutes and a set place on the PP. No way in Hell.

Stupid as I think that is, however, I'm willing to trust to Eakins on this one. As a coach lauded for his ability to develop players and generally loved by the people who have come up under him, I think he (as the person in the actual room talking to the actual players) probably knows what he's about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad