The All Purpose What's Up With Yakupov Thread

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
i don't have time for proof reading, so please take it as is, i apologize in advance for bad English and spelling errors.

Nail Yakupov was last to leave the ice after the morning skate. Players who got scratched for the upcoming game usually tend to stay longer, but the coaches kept russian forward going till exhaustion. Sam Gagner who is still nursing his broken jaw left 15 minutes earlier, shaking his head upon the fierce drills Yakupov was being given. Nail was looking gassed but rather calm after the skate.

Can you comment on the coach's decision to scratch you second time in a row?

It's the first time in my life that i've been scratched, but if the coach says that's the way to go, so be it.
I dunno. He told that I have to be easier, asked me to use my linemates better. I though always liked to go for something head-turning after a long stint on the bench. I love to be creative. Dumping and chasing, not so much.

Well, you are a player of Soviet/Russian hockey pedigree, it's not quite your game.

Yep, i'm a different style. At times you try to take on three on your own, sometimes you go through, then you don't. That's when you have to try dumping it in, i gather. In a word, I try doing what I can, it's just that I fail at times. See, i'm taking extra time after the skate.

Vladimir Krikunov, the Neftekhimik coach, commented on your case...

*giggles*

...I see you already know about it. He said that after a talk with your father he had an impression that you might go back to Nizhnekamsk.

Actually I was pretty amazed to find out about it. Scratch it, i was outright shocked. Firsh thought was "May it be Dad scheming something?" But then i realized that it couldn't be the case. I know my father well, he'd never do such thing behind the scenes. I was never involved in any talks, I have no idea where it all came from.

Rail Yakupov made it clear that his son has no plans to leave the NHL for KHL.

Russian U18 NT head coach and Olympic scout Ugor Kravchuk tweeted that Nail hasn't been playing up to hopes so far, according to Oilers GM Craig MacTavish. Have you heard about it?

People may tweet whatever floats their boat. It's funny to read such things. Nail is alright. Wel, he hasn't scored so far, coashes decided to sit him vs. Toronto to get a grasp of other players. Maybe he'll play next time. It's all OK, teams do this all the time, especially where things are going south. My son is in good mood, he isn't having any tensions with anybody. I watched two Oilers' games, he was playing okay, rang the pipes couple times. I think he'll get going once he scores a goal.

What about Nail's possible return to Neftekhimik, is there any ground for that?

I have no idea what may be the source of such gossip. I know one thing for a fact: Nail has a two-way deal with the Edmonton Oilers, he may be sent down at any point, and that is perfectly ok, it's how the things are done in the NHL. We never considered a return, we were getting ready for his sophomore season, keeping in mind that it may be much tougher than the rookie one. I'm sure that we are going to have a long and fruitful time together with the Oilers. There are two more years on his deal. I keep saying: everything's gonna be alright, don't trust the nonsense coming from the Internet. Remember that Nail was getting limited icetime at the start of previous season as well, but he improved over time, up to 20 minutes per night. He'is adamant in his determination to get better.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Nail was scratched because of his defensive game.
Last game, without him, where we gave up 6 loosely goosey beer league goals is more like how we need to play.
So if we let in another 5 or 6 goals tonight without Yakupov in the line up then I suppose we sit him again because of his gross defensive shortcomings?...

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
What the hell are you talking about and what does that have to do with do post? He was coaching the marlies wasn't he? Let's call it what it is... This is the same old story of ugly bias in Canadian hockey.. the good ol boys are fine no matter what they do.. hall? He's awesome! Ebs struggles all he wants no one says a word. Heck Ryan Whitney played an entire season like crap the media never blinked... It's the Russian kid? Time to roast him... There's a word for that and it starts with an R...

umm Whitney is not Canadian and neither is Dallas Eakins.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
yet people continue to question the kids mindset after reading an article like that...

yakupov is going to be great because not only does he have the tools, but HE WANTS TO be great more than anyone on this godforsaken team.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Boston and Edmonton. Hope they are talking about a shakeup. Bruins have too many NHL defensemen and not enough scoring threats with speed. Not to mention Svedberg being NHL ready to play goal and Rask not giving up any starts anytime soon.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
What the hell are you talking about and what does that have to do with do post? He was coaching the marlies wasn't he? Let's call it what it is... This is the same old story of ugly bias in Canadian hockey.. the good ol boys are fine no matter what they do.. hall? He's awesome! Ebs struggles all he wants no one says a word. Heck Ryan Whitney played an entire season like crap the media never blinked... It's the Russian kid? Time to roast him... There's a word for that and it starts with an R...

What league does the Marlies play in?

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Wow...

The fans here yell, scream, plead, piss, moan, and BEG for a coach that preaches accountability.

Now we have a coach that does that and OMG IT'S NOT FAIR BECAUSE (random garbage excuse we've heard a million times before about Schremp/Omark)!

This is insanity.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
umm Whitney is not Canadian and neither is Dallas Eakins.

It's cultural champ. An American hockey like Brown is as much a good ol boy as any Canadian player from Saskatchewan or Manitoba. A European especially a Russian most definitely is not

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
What league does the Marlies play in?

I call it junior cause he is a small time farm team coach trying to make a name for himself by picking on the most vulnerable guy on the team. It's a way of building a name for himself. Outside of the Toronto media talking about him what has Dallas ever proven at the NHL level? Or for that matter in hockey general?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Wow...

The fans here yell, scream, plead, piss, moan, and BEG for a coach that preaches accountability.

Now we have a coach that does that and OMG IT'S NOT FAIR BECAUSE (random garbage excuse we've heard a million times before about Schremp/Omark)!

This is insanity.

One vocal minority gets what they want and quiets down.

Another vocal minority gets upset and complains.

Nothing new.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I call it junior cause he is a small time farm team coach trying to make a name for himself by picking on the most vulnerable guy on the team. It's a way of building a name for himself. Outside of the Toronto media talking about him what has Dallas ever proven at the NHL level? Or for that matter in hockey general?

Junior hockey=/= Minor League hockey.

Huge difference.

Why does he have to make a difference outside of hockey in general? That has absolutely diddly squat with hockey. Absolutely nothing.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
He's 19 years old, less than 60 games into his NHL career, gets terrible ice time and gets scratched.
How can that possibly help the guys confidence?

Could the Oilers be shopping him?
If so for who, what?

I think the Oilers should be patient..give the guy some time he'll come around soon enough..plays the most physical of any of the young guys and his effort is always there..just goin through a mini sophomore slump. Happens, he's far to good to give up on at this point.

I think Dallas Eakins should get scratched before Yakupov next time.
Probably should start watching the games...

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
yet people continue to question the kids mindset after reading an article like that...

yakupov is going to be great because not only does he have the tools, but HE WANTS TO be great more than anyone on this godforsaken team.

That's why he needs to go. He just doesn't fit with the Oiler loser mentality. I mean who wants the playoffs when you can collect first round picks.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Junior hockey=/= Minor League hockey.

Huge difference.

Why does he have to make a difference outside of hockey in general? That has absolutely diddly squat with hockey. Absolutely nothing.
Basically eakins to me is a phony a hack he is a creation of the Toronto media who was gifted a strong Marlies team with kadri frattin and Gardiner. Worse yet he believes him own headlines wich confirms his stupidity..how do we know? By barely playing and benching one of our leading offensive players from last year... He is outsmarting himself

Koto

May 3, 2011
Wow...

This is insanity.

Yakupov is a better hockey player than Gazdic, Brown, Smyth, Acton.

This is not an excuse, this is a fact.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Wow...

This is insanity.

I just find it frustrating that guys like Smyth, Eberle, Hemsky and Hall have all played poorly, a number of those players directly contributing to one or more GA. I can remember only one distinct play for Nail where he failed to put in a sufficient effort in his own zone that lead to a GA. One. That was the game against MTL. Otherwise he hasn't been THAT bad. He's had a tough start to the year offensively and nothing more and a revolving door of line mates. That's why he's been forcing it/squeezing the stick. Playing guys like Smyth and other pluggers ahead of him is not giving your team the best chance to win games. Sit him for one game, sure. Sit him for two? It's just stupid. Pull the kid aside and have a talk with him. He is your first overall pick for Christ's sake. I definitely think there is a strong, if not subconscious North American bias amongst players and coaches. I'm all for accountability and think it's great what Eakins has been saying over the past month and a half. But things are really getting off to a poor start for this team, for a number of players individually as well as systems wise, at least when it comes to their defensive game.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Basically eakins to me is a phony a hack he is a creation of the Toronto media who was gifted a strong Marlies team with kadri frattin and Gardiner. Worse yet he believes him own headlines wich confirms his stupidity..how do we know? By barely playing and benching one of our leading offensive players from last year... He is outsmarting himself

Then why did other teams want him?

And as I've stated earlier...

Last year means nothing. You think Ovi's happy that he won the Rocket Richard last year when his team is off to a crap start this year?

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Then why did other teams want him?

And as I've stated earlier...

Last year means nothing. You think Ovi's happy that he won the Rocket Richard last year when his team is off to a crap start this year?

Others wanted him? Just cause our management has a history of stuidpidiy does that mean others cant? Whats he ever done. Take a stacked Marlies team to the AHL finals? Wow, let me do a back flip. TSN likes the guy.
The mans a hack, a phony. Kreuger had the same resume and was barely given a chance to prove himself.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I like this move. This is one Yak. Played great in the preseason playing with not great team mates, so far this season he's been terrible. Eakins started out by taking him off the pp and he didn't respond. Took him out of the lineup and must not of responded during his time off.

Eakins so far has been fair. Do your job you'll play.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Others wanted him? Just cause our management has a history of stuidpidiy does that mean others cant? Whats he ever done. Take a stacked Marlies team to the AHL finals? Wow, let me do a back flip. TSN likes the guy.
The mans a hack, a phony. Kreuger had the same resume and was barely given a chance to prove himself.

Both the Rangers and the Canucks wanted him before their respective hires of AV and Torts.

And you're missing the big picture. It's not "taking teams to finals", it's "taking players to the next level". Kadri was looking like a bust before Eakins took him aside. Now he looks like a legit star.

Also it doesn't look that good on you when you can't spell stupidity.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

So we were supposed to hire one of the revolving door coaches that the NHL has been employing? :shakehead

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Hilarious. You called it junior because you have no idea what you're talking about.

Billybaroo*

This kinda reminds me of how outraged the kids on this board got when Schremp & Omark were not given icetime/benched

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I think it's quite obvious that Nail isn't in NHL shape.

They're working him hard to try and get him there.
You can see when he has a shift that he gets heavily involved in he barely makes it back to the bench he's so gassed.
And then why he can't put another effective shift together as he's coasting the next one or two shifts because he's out of shape.

Billybaroo*

Yeah ok.
Hilarious that you actually thought he was a junior coach.
Too funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad