OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm a first timer on fire emblem. Any tips? I did the mission where you have to go up against the other two houses in the beginning and it seemed way harder than I thought it should have been.

Early on be conservative and keep your troops back. Let the enemies come to you so you will have multiple units able to strike in one turn. Your units are weak to start so you have to move them as a group so you don't have an individual taking hits from multiple enemies in a turn.

As you progress, Canto is a big deal (lets your unit attack and then continue moving). Archers are beastly late game.

I recommend playing online to see which activity the rest of the community chose on the rest days - it's usually a good indicator of what should be doing.

Which house did you choose? Make sure you get Felix early on, it's like having two Byleth's in your squad at once.

Reactions: Berserk

effen

Feb 3, 2018
That is a combination that reallllly appeals to me.

Don't make me buy an EA game please.
don't buy it
it's pretty unsatisfying tbh

it's polished but surface-level. reminds me of Fallout 4 in that regard, a little too streamlined. more Tomb Raider: Jedi Edition than anything else.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Anyone buying a VR headset for this? Big Half-Life fan here, so I'll be doing so.

I’ve been thinking about it, but I don’t know if I ultimately will. My boss actually knows a guy who works at valve and like two years ago he told my boss he was working on something that would make the whole gaming world lose their shit if they knew what it was. My boss told me because he doesn’t like video games and had no idea what he meant, I thought it would be HL3 but turns out to be this

Reactions: Jauffre

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
BTW - Jurassic Park Evolution is part of Games with Good for December.

I know there was some interest in this game a while back.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Finally put down RDR2 after almost a year on-and-off.

Despite the graphics, I still rate RDR1 as a more satisfying GAME. Doing chores, felt like chores. The collectibles, satchels, etc etc etc etc far, far too annoying in the end and for not much reward. I connected much more with John than with Arthur and played through twice to 100%. I couldn’t be bothered with completing all the outfits, cigarette card collecting blah, blah.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018

Anyone buying a VR headset for this? Big Half-Life fan here, so I'll be doing so.

loved HL and bought/played everything they put out. Soon as I saw the promo trailer my first thought was “Valve got woke” with a female lead.

With all due respect, Freeman IS Half-Life.

Reactions: Turbosperg

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
loved HL and bought/played everything they put out. Soon as I saw the promo trailer my first thought was “Valve got woke” with a female lead.

With all due respect, Freeman IS Half-Life.

This was my reaction after the trailer. I like Alyx Vance as a supporting character but I'm not playing a Half-life title that you are not Gordon Freeman, sorry. I never even played Blue-shift the Hl1 mod!

That said, it does look pretty awesome minus the VR angle.

Reactions: Row I Goon

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Finally put down RDR2 after almost a year on-and-off.

Despite the graphics, I still rate RDR1 as a more satisfying GAME. Doing chores, felt like chores. The collectibles, satchels, etc etc etc etc far, far too annoying in the end and for not much reward. I connected much more with John than with Arthur and played through twice to 100%. I couldn’t be bothered with completing all the outfits, cigarette card collecting blah, blah.

Just picked up RDR 2 for free this weekend.

Haven't been home to try it out.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Just picked up RDR 2 for free this weekend.

Haven't been home to try it out.

Loved RDR2. Great story if you're into that. Long game, lots of character development and obviously Rockstar doesn't put out duds. Game of the Year for me.

I'm not a huge Starwars guy but man Fallen order was incredible! They took a little bit from very successful franchise and made one hell of a game.

Reactions: haveandare and Kupo

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I highly recommend anyone who plays Xbox take advantage of the Microsoft Rewards program.

If you carve out 10 minutes a day to do some activities (quick polls, trivia, watch a video, Bing searches, etc.), you earn points.

You then can bank enough points to redeem them for gift cards. The best exchange rate, obviously, is on Microsoft gift cards --- including Xbox gift cards.

A few times a year, I exchange points for the cards, and then go buy games. Typically I do this in July and Nov./Dec. when they run Holiday specials. Needless to say, I can get two brand-new games for free, or several slightly older games for the same price.

Reactions: Row I Goon

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This was my reaction after the trailer. I like Alyx Vance as a supporting character but I'm not playing a Half-life title that you are not Gordon Freeman, sorry. I never even played Blue-shift the Hl1 mod!

That said, it does look pretty awesome minus the VR angle.

If you haven't tried Oculus Quest yet, do so. It's absolutely incredible, and Vader Immortal has been a really fun short-story game to play through on it. The new half-life looks like it'll be revolutionary with how much you'll be able to do in VR

Reactions: Turbosperg

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Loved RDR2. Great story if you're into that. Long game, lots of character development and obviously Rockstar doesn't put out duds. Game of the Year for me.

I'm not a huge Starwars guy but man Fallen order was incredible! They took a little bit from very successful franchise and made one hell of a game.

RDR2 is the only game I can remember that the story elicited a big emotional response from me. Absolutely amazing story.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Just finished my Master's so I have time to play some games again.

I was happy with RDR2, though the extent of some of the chores was bothersome. It was a pretty good story, but riding on a horse across the entire map was a bummer.

I've been playing NHL 19, and it satisfies my itch to avoid NHL20.

Having commandeered my brother's Xbox, I'm checking out Battlefield V, though I fully expect to become totally pissed off at it.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Just finished my Master's so I have time to play some games again.

I was happy with RDR2, though the extent of some of the chores was bothersome. It was a pretty good story, but riding on a horse across the entire map was a bummer.

I've been playing NHL 19, and it satisfies my itch to avoid NHL20.

Having commandeered my brother's Xbox, I'm checking out Battlefield V, though I fully expect to become totally pissed off at it.

congrats on your masters!

Battlefield V is really, really fun. There are very few bad maps. The movement is fluid and the gunplay is pretty brilliant.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Fallen Order has me hooked.

There are some janky mechanics for sure (sliding?) but I can overlook them.

It doesn't do anything better than the games it clearly has borrowed from, (Souls, Uncharted, GOW, Sekiro), but those games are the best of the best.

solid game

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
RDR2 was amazing. Story, gameplay, characters.

I had high hopes for the Online Mode, but it sucked major balls. Haven't played it in months though - maybe they came out with some new content. There wasn't much to do when I played.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Any big games (besides The Outer Worlds, which I bought immediately and have since grown tired of) come/coming out for this holiday season?

Gonna be a long wait until Cyberpunk 2077. It's got GOTY written all over it, def. the next BIG thing. If you skipped out on Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Sekiro or any of the remastered Souls games. It's time to pay them a visit while waiting. Something that takes time haha.

I just started GreeFall but it's really chores like. Some aspects I like, again tho just trying to pass the time with big RPG games to slow roll until April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad