OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I have a switch, ps4, and xboxone. The ps4 and Xboxone are essentially just a preference thing, there’s better exclusives for ps4, but now Xbox has a netflix sort of thing for games. I love the switch, it and it’s games are just light and fun. The next gen consoles are coming out in about a year (probably not a new Nintendo one though) and I think instead of ending up with 3 consoles again I’m just going to consolidate everything build a gaming pc. And it’s hard to recommendation specific games without knowing your preferences, but if you’re going to get a switch, Breath of the Wild is an absolute must play
What are your top 3 (or 5 If you can go that deep) in the last couple of years for each system?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Okay, reading this thread has got me wondering, should I purchase a gaming system, if so, which one, and what (3) games would you purchase first? I have been out of video games for about 8 years and have a young baby at home currently so not A LOT of time to sit around playing but wouldn't mind the occasional session when I have the time.

So this is a somewhat difficult question to answer without knowing your preferences (and the fact that there's no great answer anyway).

I was a Playstation and Playstation 2 guy through about 2006. Then I switched over to Xbox 360 and have continued down the Xbox One path.

I will freely admit that if backwards compatability holds true, I will probably purchase an Xbox and a Playstation for the next generation.

But a lot of that is driven by my desire for backwards compatibility. Having an Xbox One and an Xbox 360 in my house allows me to essentially access anything I want from 3 generations of games. Considering the next Xbox will play anything the current Xbox One plays, that will soon extend to 4 generations.

Ditto with then next Playstation, which when combined with my PS 2, will essentially allow me to cover the bulk of that platforms multiple generations.

Playstation has the better exclusives and gets the nod on graphics. Personally I like the broader selection of games on Xbox though. Both systems double as Bluray players, streaming devices and stereos if you have proper speakers, so that's an added bonus.

I tend to gravitate toward story-driven games, as opposed to shoot 'em ups. In terms of games that have stood out in our household over the last decade or so:

Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and Fallout: New Vegas are fun post-apocalyptic RPGs that can be played over a longer period of time.

Ditto for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Batman Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight are all among the best or better superhero games of any generation.

The Mass Effect series is a personal favorite.

If you're into builders: Cities Skylines, Jurassic World Evolution and Zoo Tycoon is fun. Project Highrise is a modern incarnation of Sim Tower if you're into that kind of thing.

If you're into racing, The Forza series is awesome.

If you like older school point and click type games that are very heavy on story, Telltale has some great stuff ranging from Batman to Back to the Future. Tales from Borderlands was a lot of fun and underrated.

The Borderlands series is fun if you're into more action/shooter types.

The Witcher Series is great.

I am fan of Assassin's Creed, with Syndicate and Black Flag being my personal favorites.

The Madden series is still a lot of fun, and relatively easy game to keep playing if you only have time here and there.

If you help narrow things down, it'll be easier to make recommendations.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Last 10 years or so, if I'm stuck on an island:

Fallout 3

The Mass Effect Trilogy (you have to play all three to get it)

Skyrim

Arkham City

Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Believe it or not, I bought Skyrim when I got an xbox one last year (after not playing for 6-8 years) and still haven’t cracked it open. Looking forward to that once I’m done with Outer Worlds.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Believe it or not, I bought Skyrim when I got an xbox one last year (after not playing for 6-8 years) and still haven’t cracked it open. Looking forward to that once I’m done with Outer Worlds.

Like most games of that ilk, it takes a few hours to really get your footing.

I wasn't crazy about the ending per se, but the world itself was quite enjoyable.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Anyone here pick up the new COD? Cross platform so we can all play together regardless of system.

I really like it so far. The devs went back to what made the original COD's good. Just keep pumping out new maps over the course of the next couple of years and I'll continue to play it. Not too many weapons or perks are OP, yet, and they're fixing the Dead Silence abnormality already.

Weapons are pretty well balanced otherwise. I've always been an AR or sniper player. Good variation in the maps that I can alternate between classes as the match sees fit.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
What are your top 3 (or 5 If you can go that deep) in the last couple of years for each system?
Off the top of my head here’s the standouts

Xbox/Ps4 since there’s a lot of overlap: Skyrim, The Fallout games, and the Dark Souls (Bloodborne is a ps4 exclusive and probably the best one) games are probably the ones I’ve spent the most time playing. Destiny 2 is really fun but I stopped playing because none of my friends wanted to play it with me, I have to play fortnite if I want to virtually hangout with them most of them these days

For switch Breath of the Wild was the whole reason I got a switch and that game was worth it alone, Mario Odyssey was fun, Hollow Knight is really good, Stardew Valley is a game where you can lose hours just doing menial tasks (in a good way).

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Final Death Stranding trailer is out. Still don't have a clue what the game is a week away from launch but I'll have it Day 1.

Yeah, I didn't watch it but I read people were saying it has a lot of spoilers. I'm a huge Kojima fan but with Death Stranding I purposely avoided the promotional materials as much as possible. I can't wait for it to release though. I usually can't help myself and watch every trailer a hundred times but I really know very little about Death Stranding and I'm glad.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So this is a somewhat difficult question to answer without knowing your preferences (and the fact that there's no great answer anyway).

I was a Playstation and Playstation 2 guy through about 2006. Then I switched over to Xbox 360 and have continued down the Xbox One path.

I will freely admit that if backwards compatability holds true, I will probably purchase an Xbox and a Playstation for the next generation.

But a lot of that is driven by my desire for backwards compatibility. Having an Xbox One and an Xbox 360 in my house allows me to essentially access anything I want from 3 generations of games. Considering the next Xbox will play anything the current Xbox One plays, that will soon extend to 4 generations.

Ditto with then next Playstation, which when combined with my PS 2, will essentially allow me to cover the bulk of that platforms multiple generations.

Playstation has the better exclusives and gets the nod on graphics. Personally I like the broader selection of games on Xbox though. Both systems double as Bluray players, streaming devices and stereos if you have proper speakers, so that's an added bonus.

I tend to gravitate toward story-driven games, as opposed to shoot 'em ups. In terms of games that have stood out in our household over the last decade or so:

Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and Fallout: New Vegas are fun post-apocalyptic RPGs that can be played over a longer period of time.

Ditto for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Batman Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight are all among the best or better superhero games of any generation.

The Mass Effect series is a personal favorite.

If you're into builders: Cities Skylines, Jurassic World Evolution and Zoo Tycoon is fun. Project Highrise is a modern incarnation of Sim Tower if you're into that kind of thing.

If you're into racing, The Forza series is awesome.

If you like older school point and click type games that are very heavy on story, Telltale has some great stuff ranging from Batman to Back to the Future. Tales from Borderlands was a lot of fun and underrated.

The Borderlands series is fun if you're into more action/shooter types.

The Witcher Series is great.

I am fan of Assassin's Creed, with Syndicate and Black Flag being my personal favorites.

The Madden series is still a lot of fun, and relatively easy game to keep playing if you only have time here and there.

If you help narrow things down, it'll be easier to make recommendations.

It's been so long sine I played any sot of gaming system, the last major set of games I was into were Call of Duty and the final Halo on Xbox 360. Generally I prefer games with a storyline. Never been a guy just into games for point and shoot or racing or anything like that.

Way back when I was always into military strategy games on the PC but that stuff has gone by the wayside for a while

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Last 10 years or so, if I'm stuck on an island:

Fallout 3

The Mass Effect Trilogy (you have to play all three to get it)

Skyrim

Arkham City

Assassin's Creed Black Flag

The Witcher 3 for sure.

Red Dead Redemption 2 as well.

But your answers are all solid as well. Black Flag is criminally under rated.

Reactions: Edge

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It's been so long sine I played any sot of gaming system, the last major set of games I was into were Call of Duty and the final Halo on Xbox 360. Generally I prefer games with a storyline. Never been a guy just into games for point and shoot or racing or anything like that.

Way back when I was always into military strategy games on the PC but that stuff has gone by the wayside for a while

The Witcher 3. Seriously.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I'd recommend games like Fallout, Skyrim and Mass Effect in that case.

I somehow also left our Red Dead Redemption, which is arguably one of the best games of all time. I have not played the sequel though.

I also freely admit that I am at the age where less can be more for me. My concern with Red Dead Remption 2 is that I don't want my game to feel like a job. One of my complaints about the current direction of a lot of games is that they're striving to make things so realistic and immersive that they're also including activities that can be a bit tedious as well. That's one of the things that's drawn me to The Outer Worlds; I don't feel like I am spending time having to fuel the ship (so to speak). It also happens to be made by the team that worked on previous Fallout entries.

As for upcoming games, I am hopeful that the KOTOR vibe I am getting from Jedi Fallen Order isn't completely misplaced, and I am very much looking forward to a game called Cyberpunk 2077. The latter is made by the same people who worked on The Witcher series you've seen recommended in this thread.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
I can't recommend Hollow Knight enough to anyone who enjoys MetroidVania games even a little. Such a well polished game, and it even started out on Kickstarter which always pumps out nothing but quality /s.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The latest Fire Emblem is honestly so good. Like...amazing in every way that FE was already an great franchise.

The only issue it had when it first came out was the fact that, if you even remotely stayed on top of every mechanic in the school, you would steamroll even the hardest difficulty.

Reactions: Rangers743

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'd recommend games like Fallout, Skyrim and Mass Effect in that case.

I somehow also left our Red Dead Redemption, which is arguably one of the best games of all time. I have not played the sequel though.

I also freely admit that I am at the age where less can be more for me. My concern with Red Dead Remption 2 is that I don't want my game to feel like a job. One of my complaints about the current direction of a lot of games is that they're striving to make things so realistic and immersive that they're also including activities that can be a bit tedious as well. That's one of the things that's drawn me to The Outer Worlds; I don't feel like I am spending time having to fuel the ship (so to speak). It also happens to be made by the team that worked on previous Fallout entries.

As for upcoming games, I am hopeful that the KOTOR vibe I am getting from Jedi Fallen Order isn't completely misplaced, and I am very much looking forward to a game called Cyberpunk 2077. The latter is made by the same people who worked on The Witcher series you've seen recommended in this thread.

There's a little bit of tedium with RDR2 but I don't think its too much and frankly I think the downsides of avoiding the tedium aren't too bad. For example, if you are crafting special ammo, such as split point bullets, you have to set up your camp and literally press and hold X and then watch the animation.... to craft ONE bullet. It's like a six second ordeal. Trying to do 200 bullets to fill up your ammo takes all day. Same with food - if you hunt and gather meat, you have to actually cook it over a fire before being able to eat it and replenish your health. Typically, you may have gathered meat from 4-5 different animals and each animal might net you 3-5 pieces of raw meat in your inventory. Well, you've gotta go through the whole animation cycle for each piece that you cook, then you have to back out and select the meat from the next animal, and go through 3-5 more animation cycles. Tedious is a good word for that.

But you know what? You can just use regular bullets the whole game; I did, and I didn't really notice much downside. You can just buy pre-made food at the general store, then you don't have to cook your own. Etc.

The lack of easily accessible fast travel does mean you spend a lot of time riding. But on the flip side, unlike RDR1, you can save the game state literally any time you aren't in a mission (to do so in RDR1, you had to set up camp or be at a bed if I remember correctly).

If you loved RDR1, then RDR2 is too good to pass up. It will fit like an old glove and make you so nostalgic. And its story and acting are great.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Also I have to throw out some love for Naughty Dog's work: The Uncharted series (1-3 on PS3, and 4 on PS4, or you can get the Uncharted Collection which features 1-3 on PS4), as well as the Last of Us (PS3, or remastered for PS4), all excellent games.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Also I have to throw out some love for Naughty Dog's work: The Uncharted series (1-3 on PS3, and 4 on PS4, or you can get the Uncharted Collection which features 1-3 on PS4), as well as the Last of Us (PS3, or remastered for PS4), all excellent games.
One of the best series of all time. The gameplay, story telling, and graphical set pieces are all on another level. Sad the series is done but pumped that TLOU 2 is coming out next year.

The first TLOU game was the only game I've ever played that I've actually had to step away from the game for a few days because some of the scenes were too intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad