The All-Purpose Sven Baertschi Thread/ Sven Hype Train Re-launch

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
All that article does is show that Heartley is nothing really special and doesn't like to take risks. He puts players out until they make a mistake and then benches them until the replacements make mistakes. That is definitely not a good coaching strategy.

Yea it seems to have found him no success either.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Elliotte Friedman 30 thoughts:

12. Watching Sven Baertschi brings reminders of Nino Niederreiter - and not because they're both Swiss. Niederreiter didn't like being in the AHL last season. But he was one of that league's best players and it's a major reason he's making such an impact with the Minnesota Wild. It damaged his relationship with the New York Islanders, despite being the correct move. Does Calgary have similar concerns? The Flames' AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Heat, are a good team and a stint there makes sense for Baertschi. It's not a failure. It's a step in the development process.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I don't get this at all saying he compares to Nino but not because he is Swiss. If Sven wasn't swiss that entire comment would have never come up, I mean Scheifele is also struggling like Sven sure Sven has been sat a few times but its not the first or the last time a rookie will be sat. I think Sven sitting has been so overblown and misrepresented.

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
Considering that the Heat are the first place team in the entire AHL it might be good for Sven to learn in that environment. Having him on a line with Granlund and Ferland who are both torching the league right now would help him. Then bring up that line next year if they find chemistry together. By the way Granlund has points in 9 straight games and Ferland has 17 points in his last 12 games.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Baer is starting to play very consistent in the neutral and defensive zone. The only thing he's missing now is scoring but that will come. He's come a long way over the year. I think we will see him get more offensive starts with some better line mates soon.

JulianHopper*

Sven Baertschi has been playing better but I think he has a ways to go and a lot to learn.

At this point I would send him down to Abbotsford for 20 games and evaluate him after that.

I can see why he got benched last night in the third.

Twice he made poor choices with the puck that basically killed the momentum that the Flames had at that time.

You just can't have a guy in your lineup that does that in a close game on a regular basis.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I simply don't understand why he is being kept up if they are going to make him a healthy scratch or bench him. I'm not defending Baertschi but now every time he has the puck he is going to pray he doesn't cough it up or make a bad play because it's back to the pressbox. Send him to the AHL where he can play on a good team and have a little more freedom to develop his game.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sven Baertschi has been playing better but I think he has a ways to go and a lot to learn.

At this point I would send him down to Abbotsford for 20 games and evaluate him after that.

I can see why he got benched last night in the third.

Twice he made poor choices with the puck that basically killed the momentum that the Flames had at that time.

You just can't have a guy in your lineup that does that in a close game on a regular basis.

Frankly, all of our forwards turn the puck over during the game. We just notice it more with Baertschi because when he gets the puck in the offensive zone, we expect him to make something happen.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Baer + Gio for a 3rd from someone?

Think a team would bite on that? I know Baer has negative value, and Gio is old but it's worth a shot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Has anyone been able to watch the games? He seems to be jobbin' it up in Abby.
Friday he was invisible for 95% of the game. Saturday he was more noticeable and had a decent game. His point Saturday was a secondary assist, but his pass was as important as the primary assist, although neither would have gotten a point if Granlund hadn't deked the defenseman out of his jock strap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad