The All-Purpose Sven Baertschi Thread/ Sven Hype Train Re-launch

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Baertschi will turn it around. Especially in the playoffs. That's when hanging your head is put aside for the team.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
So what's the deal here? You think the Flames keep this kid? It looks like Burkes not a fan at all.

Its tough to say. For tough decisions I usually ask my trusty magic 8-ball.

It says "Better not tell you now"

Well, there you have it!

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
So what's the deal here? You think the Flames keep this kid? It looks like Burkes not a fan at all.

I think we see him at the end of the season if he starts producing a little more in Abbotsford. Then, he'll spend 2014-15 in the big club, and Gaudreau will spend it in the AHL. If Gaudreau looks like he could make an impact at the AHL level and looks like he could break into the NHL and provide more than Sven can, then Sven will be traded.

That's all complete conjecture, though. I have no idea what Burke's thinking.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Sven was on pace for 45 points in the NHL. He hasn't been producing in the AHL because he was sent downto work on his 2 way game. Although it's not always that important. I love two way players and usually hate those 1 dementional player but don't force him to play a game he's not comfortable with

And let's get Johnny Hockey signed before wetalk about him playing this year

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sven was on pace for 45 points in the NHL. He hasn't been producing in the AHL because he was sent downto work on his 2 way game. Although it's not always that important. I love two way players and usually hate those 1 dementional player but don't force him to play a game he's not comfortable with

We can't sign him until he's done his college season. We can't play him until he's done his college season. To talk about one is to talk about the other.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC

I agree to the most part, Sven is supposed to be an offensive dynamo and not a defensive stud, but his defense is pretty bad, and it needs to be worked on. Even if you're an offensive forward, being terrible defensively won't do you any favours in the NHL.

Sep 12, 2012
I agree to the most part, Sven is supposed to be an offensive dynamo and not a defensive stud, but his defense is pretty bad, and it needs to be worked on. Even if you're an offensive forward, being terrible defensively won't do you any favours in the NHL.

Agree 100%.

Just look at Ovechkin. Yeah, I'm serious. For all his offence, he's a massive defensive liability. I would not want him on the Flames under any circumstances.

I hope Baertschi sticks around and develops his 2 way play. I have a sinking feeling he'll get traded and break out, as a mighty F U.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just look at Ovechkin. Yeah, I'm serious. For all his offence, he's a massive defensive liability. I would not want him on the Flames under any circumstances.

Yup, only reason he's on the Capitals is because no one wants to take his contract off their hands. I've heard McPhee is looking into buying him out or else burying him in the AHL. :sarcasm:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The good thing for Sven, is he has shown flashes that when motivated, he can read defensive plays extremely well.. He just needs to keep his feet moving and stay vigilant in his own end.. Hopefully he continues to learn and finishes the year strong in the A

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Sven Baertschi: Were we guilty of writing this guy off?

First of all, I want to give full credit to "Comixzone" who posted this on the prospects thread (I'll add my own thoughts in the 2nd post of this thread):

----
This quote, regardless of whether it's tongue-in-cheek or not, is pretty much how Sven has been viewed thanks to the microscope he was put under due to his early strong performance in the NHL, and the Flames desperate attempt to find "the next Iginla" (both by the organization, and the fanbase).

Sven isn't "busting", and a 5 point game isn't what proves or disproves anything.

Sven's confidence definitely took a hit when he struggled at the start of the NHL season - but he has been on the rebound ever since. It has been a process as he as had to work on his game, but he has been getting better every game and seems to really be finding his stride over the last 6 weeks.

December: 0.2 pts/game
January: 0.36 pts/games
February: 0.72 pts/game
March: 1.00 pts/game
(thanks to sureloss for the stats)

and, as noted - had himself a 5 point night tonight.

Baertschi is a high-end prospect that struggled to start the year as he began to learn how to be a pro.

Baertschi just needs some consistency not only in his own game, but in his surroundings and his system. Ever since Feaster recalled him on an emergency basis, Sven's development path has been one wrought with inconsistency - both on his end, and on the Flames end. One of the best things Burke has done as a GM so far, was send Sven down to Troy Ward. It took some time, but he has turned the corner and he is getting his stride back.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Okay, so here are my thoughts on Sven.

When Sven was first drafted he was our one and only "gem."

Backlund was floundering, Brodie was developing okay, but Sven was the only real young guy with BIG time, first line, star upside.

What he did with his close to 2 PPG in Portland was impressive. I also remember hearing about the crazy work ethic ~ first on the ice, last off etc.,

Anyway, fast forward to more recent times and Sven has had trouble adjusting to the pro game. He's faced challenges with confidence, and he's no longer the shiny new toy.

But Sven does not have to, and imo will not go the way that Magnus Paarjavi went in Edmonton (although if we could trade him for David Perron :naughty: )

We now have Monahan, we've seen some reasonable glimpses of Agostini. We've been impressed and excited by the limited viewing of youngsters such as Granlund and Wotherspoon. We've seen the maturation process of TJ Brodie.

Not to mention we are losing our s*** over the potential of Johnny Gaudreau, Emile Poirier, Morgan Klimchuk etc.,

Heck, of late Jankowski is looking like he may still be on track (remember he's but a few weeks older then Monahan) to develop like we've seen with Colborne.

Throughout all of this, I feel like most fans have come to write off, forget about etc., Baertschi.

I know I've been guilty of this.

and I don't think we do this intentionally or to be honest without just cause. However, I think it's time to revisit the play of Sven Baerstchi of late. It really looks like he might be turning things around.

No one argues that if Sven hits his ceiling he's our Patrick Kane to Monahan's ~ Jonathan Toews.

I mean Sven's absolute ceiling is a dynamic first line 30-50-80(perhaps 90) point player.

It's has just seemed like for the bulk of the last 12-15 months that Sven progress was stalling out. Certainly Brian Burkes strong words have had an impact too. (let's remember Burke kept Kadri in the AHL until he was ready).

Well not only do I think Sven is on the cusp of proving all doubters wrong, but it's also incredibly encouraging as a Flames fan.

To think that if Sven hits on his potential we have the following young and talented forwards with the chance of being Top 6-9 players on an NHL forward roster is quite amazing for being hardly 13 months into a rebuild:

Monahan
Gaudreau
Baerstchi
Poirier
Granlund
Klimchuk
Jankowski
----
not to mention the following guys who can round out the bottom 6 forwards and provide depth.

Colborne
M.Reinhart
Agostino
Van Brabant
Arnold (probably good be listed above and may play with Gaudreau)
Bouma

---------------

When you think about it, it's hard to believe that we are going to be able to add 2 or 3 prospects to this from our 2014 draft

Picks

Anyway, I know this is long, but I think it's worth reading :)

In summation. We've developed such a strong cast of prospects that if Sven DOES still pan out we are in a VERY good position going forward. Sure we can use some help everywhere, but we also have pretty good depth at all positions and a variety of different players (Kanzig comes to mind).

That is all. Please add your thoughts!

Go Flames!

Last edited:

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Not all of us wrote him off, at all.

Totally, and I'm not trying to point fingers. Certainly a credit to you for not writing him off.

But I think he went from being our crown jewel to being a notch or 5 down our prospects list. And imo, he should probably be in a 3 way tie for #1 (Monahan, Gaudreau, Baertschi).

Last edited:

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
I don't think people wrote him off. Especially as he's not a lazy guy who relates on his natural skills, he's a hard worker and always tries to improve his game.
The thing is that we saw with Monahan, how fast you could translate your performance to the NHL and of course, were dissappointed by the way Baertschis season started.
He's pretty young after all, and I won't question his big future here until he's 23-24 and wasn't able to perform in the AHL.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Okay, well perhaps I was on an island on this one.

I'm just glad to hear of his improvements over the last few months.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Okay, so here are my thoughts on Sven.

(snip)

That is all. Please add your thoughts!

Go Flames!

I actually love being a flames fan right now, this rebuild is exciting and as you said it is already off to a very good start, big thanks to Feaster for bringing in a majority of those prospects and brought in Hartley who has been great this year and has installed a great work ethic this year, heck because of him this may be the most positive press I've seen the flames get from the guys on tsn, sportsnet, etc.
anyways I couldn't be more excited for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad