The All-Purpose Sven Baertschi Thread/ Sven Hype Train Re-launch

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't mind the number change even though I also bought a #47 jersey literally the day before he got sent down. It's ok, I can just be a hipster about it when he starts lighting it up and say I like him first to all you #27 noobs :nod:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't mind the number change even though I also bought a #47 jersey literally the day before he got sent down. It's ok, I can just be a hipster about it when he starts lighting it up and say I like him first to all you #27 noobs :nod:

Email the Flames head office. Most teams would be willing to give a decent discount on a replacement.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I would love to own something like a 53 Gaudreau or 47 Baertschi if they end up becoming stars and switch to another number, given that I got it before they changed. Just makes it that much more unique.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I would love to own something like a 53 Gaudreau or 47 Baertschi if they end up becoming stars and switch to another number, given that I got it before they changed. Just makes it that much more unique.

NHL store has 47 Baer still up if you really want one.

I'm most likely going to snag a 27 myself when they start showing up in Jersey city or something.

Brotastic Brodano

Das Karnival
Sep 11, 2014
u said weast?
Thoughts on Sven Baertschi

Approaching 22 years old, I think Baertschi can learn from last year and try to put it behind him.

He has the potential to become a great top 6 forward in the near future.

Or is he a bust?

Could this be a breakout season for him?

What are your thoughts?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Not a bust.

I guarantee he will have learned from his time in the AHL.

This will be the season he stays on the big club. I would say it's also a foregone conclusion considering Burke has already designated #27 as Sven's number, as part of his "under 30" thing.

I'm excited to see what Sven can do this year.

Aug 3, 2010
He's the new Backlund. Going to (and has) struggle a bit with the overall transition and expectations and all that but if given time and patience/dedication on his own part, he will stick in the NHL as a middle six winger with balanced offense. I expect a 55 pt season plateau for him on lines with decent players.

Whether that will be with the Flames or not is a different story but one would hope so.

Last edited:

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
He's not a bust. Let him develop at his own pace. He's been called up and sent down 2 seasons in a row the Flames need to simplify his development IMO. They should either keep him in the NHL lineup or have him stay in the AHL until the end-of-season NHL callups happen, not this sending him back down crap.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Every season he's been in the NHL, he's been right around a 0.5 ppg player. Ridiculous to use the word "bust" at this point.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I really think that he should be in the AHL for another year. I will assume he goes there for one more year, but if he makes the NHL I am quite fine with that. The one thing he does have over Gaudreau is that he has the capability of playing that 82 game schedule.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Every season he's been in the NHL, he's been right around a 0.5 ppg player. Ridiculous to use the word "bust" at this point.
its ridiculous to use it for any player of his age.

Baertschi has the most games played and at least double the points of any first round pick from 2011 that was not a top 10 pick.

What a bust!

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am perplexed
:laugh:

Oops. I meant to say of any first round pick that was not a top 10 pick.

In addition to what I was trying to say his production and time in the NHL is better than or close to Strome and Scheifle as well, both of whom were top 10 picks that year. Quite frankly in a re-draft of the 1st round I think Sven goes 9th or 10th overall, maybe even as high as 8th.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Patience is key with Sven. Unfortunately, Feaster rushed him. Now with Burke, Sven will get the proper development and become an NHLer for the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Patience is key with Sven. Unfortunately, Feaster rushed him. Now with Burke, Sven will get the proper development and become an NHLer for the Flames.
Agreed. People point to drafting and trades for the reason Feaster was fired (specifically the Jankowski pick and Iginla/Bouwmeester trades), but I think player development was a much bigger reason and more specifically the way Baertschi, Berra and to a lesser extent Monahan were handled.

Burke does not believe in handing prospects roster spots and for good reason, it is no coincidence that Baertschi took a step back in a season in which he was handed a roster spot.

Berra is another player that was rushed by Feaster and I think it's obvious that Burke believed Berra has potential or he wouldn't have demanded at least a 2nd rounder to let him go. Berra had never really played on North American ice prior to his stint in the AHL to start last season, he needed more time and Feaster panicked by bringing him up and sending down MacDonald. Berra was not ready for the NHL and was thrown to the wolves almost immediately, had he stayed in the AHL until at least Christmas I think we would have seen a much different, much more confident Berra in the NHL.

Truth be told I don't think Burke even wanted Monahan in the NHL last season, but he was keeping his hands off roster decisions and by the time he decided to fire Feaster there was no going back as Monahan had earned the spot by then. But I think even more so than having Monahan in the NHL, Burke hated how feaster made it conditional on Monahan living in a billet type situation, because that was one of the things that changed immediately after Feaster was fired.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
^ Exactly. That's why I don't want to rush Sven next year. If he makes it, great. If he doesn't, I can see him putting up a PPG in the AHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I still think he has elite potential.

I do as well.

And I think you may be right AF about Feaster. Burke was evaluating Feaster for the first portion of the season. When he was hired, he seemed fine with big Jay but that obviously quickly changed. They have fundamental differences in their thinking which led to his dismissal.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

In addition to what I was trying to say his production and time in the NHL is better than or close to Strome and Scheifle as well, both of whom were top 10 picks that year. Quite frankly in a re-draft of the 1st round I think Sven goes 9th or 10th overall, maybe even as high as 8th.

Yes id say some where in that area the 2 guys drafted before him Siemens and Murphy have proven even less I think he would go 11th overall in a redraft hopping those 2 players

May 27, 2012
Earth

Strome and Scheifle will be regulars next season. Sheifele was already one...until he got injured. Strome will make the Isles. I think Sven moves up at least 2 spots, looking at the 2011 draft list I don't think he surpasses anyone else besides Seimens and Murphy. Murphy is also on his way to becoming a regular. At the 5 year mark we will have a better idea in a redraft, but I can't really see any justification of Sven going in top 10. In terms of points, then yeah.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Strome and Scheifle will be regulars next season. Sheifele was already one...until he got injured. Strome will make the Isles. I think Sven moves up at least 2 spots, looking at the 2011 draft list I don't think he surpasses anyone else besides Seimens and Murphy. Murphy is also on his way to becoming a regular. At the 5 year mark we will have a better idea in a redraft, but I can't really see any justification of Sven going in top 10. In terms of points, then yeah.

As far as I am concerned he is easily ahead of Siemens and Murphy right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad