The All-Purpose Sven Baertschi Thread/ Sven Hype Train Re-launch

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
anyone remember his emergency call up game when he first scored and the whole dome started chanting his name "BEAR-CHEE BEAR-CHEE" it blew me away

it was obviously justified tho, he is THEEEE Sven Baertschi "original flames saviour" circa 2011

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
anyone remember his emergency call up game when he first scored and the whole dome started chanting his name "BEAR-CHEE BEAR-CHEE" it blew me away

it was obviously justified tho, he is THEEEE Sven Baertschi "original flames saviour" circa 2011

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Yeah that was dope.

I actually just so happened to see Baertschi's 1st NHL Game, which was also the first home game for the Flames against the new Jets. Went with my friend who is a lifelong Jets fan. We had amazing seats, center ice 6th row. Baertschi came out for his 1st shift and skated away from the bench, the puck went into the Flames zone and Baertschi and Kane were skating up behind the play, Kane stuck a dirty elbow out on Baertschi, which pretty much no one saw I guess because there was no call. It happened right in front of us and after it happened Baertschi actually had the biggest grin on his face, and went chasing after Kane.

Was an awesome game to be at, Flames won 5-2. Half the dome was Jets fans, was just a really fun game. Fond memories of the hype around Sven at the time and just it working out so I got to see his first game. I think he was called up the day before if I remember correctly.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I do have a feeling that Sven is going to be very hungry this camp, funny what happens when you aren't gifted something. My thoughts on Sven haven't really ever changed, I thought him being sent down was a positive thing because it was going to make him a more complete player which makes me even more excited about him. He did get passed by Johnny though, what he did last season was incredibly rare.

Henderson19

Jul 6, 2007
Do you guys know if Sven will still be waiver exempt next year, or will he have to clear if sent down?

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Hey Flames fans, Buffalo fan coming in peace, congratulating you on your surprisingly good season so far. Question, plain and simple: What would it take for Buffalo to get Baertschi, preferably after this season? Keep in mind: I don't want to insult you guys by lowballing your player but it's obviously an attempt at buying a somewhat fallen stock and betting on it to rise again, while taking on the risk of him being a bust. So what could be a deal we would both benefit from?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Hey Flames fans, Buffalo fan coming in peace, congratulating you on your surprisingly good season so far. Question, plain and simple: What would it take for Buffalo to get Baertschi, preferably after this season? Keep in mind: I don't want to insult you guys by lowballing your player but it's obviously an attempt at buying a somewhat fallen stock and betting on it to rise again, while taking on the risk of him being a bust. So what could be a deal we would both benefit from?

A good D or RW prospect who has similar upside to Bart.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

The fact that you mention "low balling" and "fallen stock" in your post already gets things off on the wrong foot. You're looking to go bargain bin shopping and I wouldn't do any sort of deal. Honestly, due to the depth we do have with guys like Granlund, Reinhart, Ferland and Klimchuk, I'd rather let Sven bust if that were to be his fate rather than deal him for scraps. For the record, I don't anticipate him to bust.

I might consider Pysyk straight up, or I'd probably ask for Zadorov for Baertschi and a 2nd. That may seem way to steep for your blood, and as I said I'm fine with that as I'm in no rush to see him moved for scraps. I still firmly believe he has top 6 or even top line potential if he can find consistency in his game. Especially on a roster like ours, we definitely have room for a top 6 player like him if he starts contributing.

His stock has "fallen" to others around the league because he's been playing in a developmental league developing his game. No question we all wish he was further along, our old management mishandled him, but that doesn't change the fact that he has a rare skillset.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I am a big Baertchi fan but I would strongly consider a Pysk deal. A young future top 4 Dman who shoots RH and is an Alberta boy to top things off

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
The fact that you mention "low balling" and "fallen stock" in your post already gets things off on the wrong foot. You're looking to go bargain bin shopping and I wouldn't do any sort of deal. Honestly, due to the depth we do have with guys like Granlund, Reinhart, Ferland and Klimchuk, I'd rather let Sven bust if that were to be his fate rather than deal him for scraps. For the record, I don't anticipate him to bust.

I might consider Pysyk straight up, or I'd probably ask for Zadorov for Baertschi and a 2nd. That may seem way to steep for your blood, and as I said I'm fine with that as I'm in no rush to see him moved for scraps. I still firmly believe he has top 6 or even top line potential if he can find consistency in his game. Especially on a roster like ours, we definitely have room for a top 6 player like him if he starts contributing.

His stock has "fallen" to others around the league because he's been playing in a developmental league developing his game. No question we all wish he was further along, our old management mishandled him, but that doesn't change the fact that he has a rare skillset.

Bolded seems to be the crucial point, though. It's usually what decides whether "potential" turns into "player". But fair enough. I'm all for slow-cooking prospects and see what you've got, but once they lose waiver exemption it's usually time to sink or swim. We've got a similar problem with Grigorenko, who, however, looks very good in the a right now, so it's no stretch to see him performing on the Sabres roster next season.

As for the proposals, I can see Pysyk as a possibility, even though I'd value him higher than Baertschi at this point in time, due to the fact that he is NHL ready right now and as close to a sure thing as it gets. Only reason he isn't on the Sabres is he's still waiver exempt. Doesn't mean Baertschi can't become the better player down the road, but usually righthanded top 4 dmen are considered more valuable than top 6 wingers, FWIW.

Zadorov, I'd have to respectfully but emphatically decline for obvious reasons. But I get the message, you guys still value Baertschi quite highly.

As for wingers, that's not exactly Buffalo's strong area either. Armia would have been a possibility, but he's looking so good and ready right now, I don't think I'd trade him for another prospect, since he's very close already to what you'd wish that player to become. We do have UFA-to-be veterans Stewart and Stafford, though. Staff is quite underrated, Stewart, well, not so much :naughty:

In any event, thanks for your input, guys!

EDIT: What would you guys think of Johan Larsson for Baertschi as a basis? You'd sacrifice some upside for sandpaper, positional flexibility and a higher probability (I would claim) of making the NHL. I like Larsson quite a bit, but with Girgensons and Compher in the mix we already have players of a similar role.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There's a few things with proposals on this site that need to be considered. One, it's the Internet, nothing I or anyone else says means didly squat in real life lol. But we can make fantasy trades all day, I rather enjoy it. Then, it's who is proposing the deal, this actually can have a huge factor on value in proposals. Lastly, what is the players value to their respective team? The value of said player around the league really doesn't mean anything, the GM that owns that player will only trade him if he gets what he feels that player is worth to his team. Now of course that changes for example if Treliving was calling and shopping a player, I think that significantly lowers the value. It's also why I think if a GM is open to shopping a player in the NHL, you'll get a guy like Craig Conroy for example that may "accidentally" leak to Bob MacKenzie that their guy is available. This attracts multiple interest and drives up the value by getting multiple bids.

So for example, if Treliving were to call Tim Murray and say "Hey, I have Sven Baertachi available, you want him"? I wouldn't be at all surprised if Murray offered a 3rd rounder as his best offer especially if he doesn't have a huge need for him. But if Murray calls Treliving and asks about Sven, our GM will say we view him as having top 6 or top line potential and we really like him, if you want him here's our needs and here's what it would take. The perception of the trade value to others outside the situation may view the demands as unfair. That's the issue with proposals on this site, it's that the value is often viewed in a vacuum and it just doesn't work that way in real life, which is why I assume so little proposals are often agreed upon on the main board.

@ umbertovanek, Larsson is a quality piece but in all honesty he would be a little redundant on our team. We have Colborne, Shore, Reinhart and Arnold already, and Jankowski is still developing, so I'd pass. Plus we have Monahan, Bennett and Backlund. I'd personally only take Stewart if you took back Raymond and we added a little sweetner like a 3rd. Stafford is a good winger, but again we already have so much depth, we're rebuilding and it doesn't make sense for us to trade assets for a player like him. I think Pysyk 1 for 1 is the best option for both parties. I know Zadorov is a no go, but for reasons I mentioned in my previous post I listed him.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Yeah probably Pysyk makes sense. Tim Murray is absolutely not gonna trade Zadarov or any 1st rounder picks.

I personally would love McCabe, not sure how high you guys are on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad