The All-Purpose Sven Baertschi Thread/ Sven Hype Train Re-launch

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
As good as he has been I still don't think he will be a career NHL'er. He is to small to really be an impact in the bottom 6 and not quite good enough to crack a top 6. For now he is a good option for a rebuilding team but I compare him to a Nigel Dawes.

At this rate, I don't see why he can't be a top 6 player someday. While he definitely lacks size, he plays like he's 6'4. His speed is amazing. All he needs to work on are his hands and shot. I love seeing him being used in overtime. Chip it down the ice, and have him gun after it.

Aug 3, 2010
At this rate, I don't see why he can't be a top 6 player someday. While he definitely lacks size, he plays like he's 6'4. His speed is amazing. All he needs to work on are his hands and shot. I love seeing him being used in overtime. Chip it down the ice, and have him gun after it.

He's basically a smarter, gutsier Lombardi but Lombardi was really hampered by that concussion, never quite the same after that. All the best to Byron's career in the NHL, whatever that's like. :)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't see why he can't be a bottom-6er. Marchand has had success in the bottom-6, and he's only 5'9". He's able to play that role because of his tenacity, and Byron's shown that same tenacity this season.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't see why he can't be a bottom-6er. Marchand has had success in the bottom-6, and he's only 5'9". He's able to play that role because of his tenacity, and Byron's shown that same tenacity this season.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Byron has been as tenacious as Marchand. That guy is such a bully its borderline unsportsmanlike. Byron plays a big game, but I think I would agree he's not the best bottom 6 option.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I wouldn't go as far as to say Byron has been as tenacious as Marchand. That guy is such a bully its borderline unsportsmanlike. Byron plays a big game, but I think I would agree he's not the best bottom 6 option.

He plays like Gerbe before he injured his back. Not really the same type of player anymore.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Exactly, Byron is a pitbull and like Marchand he can cross the line a bit too. He can be a very effective bottom 6 player IMO.

JulianHopper*

Has he improved though as in focus, confidence, being assertive and attentive on the ice in a game? I wonder why he hasn't be recalled, so things must not be going so good for Sven.

Say what you want about Burke's comments but that's just part of creating and keeping a winning culture.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Has he improved though as in focus, confidence, being assertive and attentive on the ice in a game? I wonder why he hasn't be recalled, so things must not be going so good for Sven.

Say what you want about Burke's comments but that's just part of creating and keeping a winning culture.

What reason is there to call him up? He had his chance earlier in the season and didn't impress Burke or Hartley.

He is in the AHL for a reason. He will get a shot but before he does he needs to keep doing what he's doing. Obviously ow it is starting to show some progress now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I think it's more to do with the fact that Burke decided that Baertschi being in the AHL is one of our highest priorities right now. He was committed to having Baertschi see the rest of the season out in the AHL, and he's just sticking to that no matter what. No way that guys like Hanowski and Agostino are more effective players at the NHL level, but he doesn't want uncontrollable NHL circumstances like injuries to dictate Baertschi's development.

With regards to a winning culture, it can go both ways, depending on how the player responds. If you manage to beat down the confidence of all of your players, you can end up pretty far from winning. However if you light a fire under them, it can be a good thing. In this case, it seems like Baertschi recovered from Burke's comments as opposed to responding to them.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
The comments were needed IMO there is nothing better to spark a fire under a player's ass. Sven was sent down to work on his 200 foot game and to get top line minutes, he has huge offensive talent, but he needs to player tougher, as he was easily removed from the puck.

There is nothing wrong with realizing that a player needs more time to develop, which is something we should be happy that was recognized by Burke and the coaching staff. We don't want to rush players like are neighbors to the north have for years and we finally have a stable of good prospects that we shouldn't rush.

We need to build a culture where everyone is accountable and responsible for all aspects of the game, while on the ice. Or we will end up with a top 6 that doesn't play defense like .... The Oilers!

To be fair the goal of the rebuild should be to do the exact opposite of the Oilers lol

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

IMO, I think Sven has not been recalled because he's already played in the NHL, he was sent down to work on his game. Other guys are getting a look so we can see what we have there, plus in their situation it is good for their development. Sven already knows what the game in the NHL is about and he's down there to work on certain areas so he can get back to there, hopefully by next season. In short, it is more beneficial for him to be playing on the Heat.

Regarding Burkes comments, I can understand people's disapproval but personally I have no problem with them. Pro sports is not your typical profession, it is a very public occupation and these athletes have fortune and fame. If Sven cannot handle what Burke said, that shows to me that he's mentally fragile and he's going to face criticism from the media multiple times throughout his career. Down the road, Sven may actually thank Burke for what he said because it was some tough on the job training.

I'm not an advocate of ripping your players in the media (ie. Torts), but when done strategically at the proper times I do feel it can have a positive affect. This isn't Burkes first rodeo, and I think he knew exactly what he was doing. But, for the most part I do feel that criticism should be done behind closed doors.

Feb 23, 2014
Never gave up on him, strongly defended him to anyone who did...

Still my favorite prospect and I think he is a big part of our rebuild!

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
will baertschi bounce back

what happened to this guy? he was highly touted as the next one for calgary, seems like after his 5 game stint 2 years ago hes gone way downhill. i still have hope he becomes a nhl regular, i bought his jersey for freak sakes( still pissed he changed his number). so what are your thoughts about baertchi? does he start in the minors, or does he make a push to be a nhl regular this year?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
what happened to this guy? he was highly touted as the next one for calgary, seems like after his 5 game stint 2 years ago hes gone way downhill. i still have hope he becomes a nhl regular, i bought his jersey for freak sakes( still pissed he changed his number). so what are your thoughts about baertchi? does he start in the minors, or does he make a push to be a nhl regular this year?

What happened to this guy was a new acting GM/PoHO who wanted to instill a different system when it comes to prospect development, and who was not impressed by what he saw out of Baertschi early last year.

But he hasn't really stepped back at all except from the lofty expectations that fans (and perhaps management) placed upon him early on. I think that his jersey number change is a sign that management expects him to make the jump this year. Frankly, I feel like he was doing just fine in the NHL last year, but the time in the AHL won't have hurt him and I expect him to be even better this time around.

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
What happened to this guy was a new acting GM/PoHO who wanted to instill a different system when it comes to prospect development, and who was not impressed by what he saw out of Baertschi early last year.

But he hasn't really stepped back at all except from the lofty expectations that fans (and perhaps management) placed upon him early on. I think that his jersey number change is a sign that management expects him to make the jump this year. Frankly, I feel like he was doing just fine in the NHL last year, but the time in the AHL won't have hurt him and I expect him to be even better this time around.

hope so, im still ticked off about the jersey number change, why would he change it 2 years in, that was a ***** move in my opinion

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
hope so, im still ticked off about the jersey number change, why would he change it 2 years in, that was a ***** move in my opinion
I bet you'd love a #24 Iginla jersey.

Who cares, it shows you're a fan before his # change. Like seeing a 93 Cammy jersey.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

This. I don't get what the hell people are talking about when they say he doesn't look like a top-6 winger anyway.

Look at his NHL stats. He is already practically a .5pgp player. There are lots of NHL regulars who put those numbers up in their primes and were worse defensively than Baertschi.

Baertschi was sent down because they have higher expectations for him than that though. They want him to learn a 200 foot game and to give a consistent effort every shift.

Nothing 'happened' to Baertschi except fans thinking AHL = Failure. Which is not what it means.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com

That's why you don't buy their jersey until they make it to the pros. Classic mistake.

But actually in this case, Burke was abolishing the use of number 47. Still, I don't get why people buy Gaudreau #53 jerseys, or bought Backlund #60 jerseys, etc. It's just embarrassing if they don't pan out.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's why you don't buy their jersey until they make it to the pros. Classic mistake.

But actually in this case, Burke was abolishing the use of number 47. Still, I don't get why people buy Gaudreau #53 jerseys, or bought Backlund #60 jerseys, etc. It's just embarrassing if they don't pan out.

How is it embarrassing? It's kind of like owning a rookie card.

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary

i bought it the 2nd week last season, before he got sent down. so technically he did make it to the pros but w.e it is what it is. dont regret buying his jersey, but i do regret buying so fast

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What a horrible post to bump this thread with. Everyone who has watched this team knows what happened to Sven and anyone with any foresighy knows it's for the better.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
His problems almost all have to do with his positioning. I'm not worried. His 200 foot game was atrocious last year, he looked lost on the ice at time. With Brian Burke cracking the whip I have a lot of confidence he will develop into a very good top six forward.
The talent is undeniable though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad